Acrylic Bending Table

I agree with your assessment that the table top will be abused and beat up. What I found particularly nice about the acrylic bender design was everything is rebuild-able. So once half of the table is messed up, you cut a new piece of MDF and replace that half. in lesser instances the aluminum channel will get something burned into ti and may need to be replaced. But from the looks this would all be easily done and for very little cost in material.

At that point it seems like it is worth putting out in the open to be used and abused. Plus, constantly being setup means it is constantly visible to members to use. I’ve bent acrylic 4 or 5 times now, it is very intuitive and I believe most people can learn the process while only messing up one piece of acrylic.

The main concern I have about use is someone burning themselves. I would suggest any committee wanting to accept this bender find a way to cover the filament during cool down. Because filament like this can still be hot enough to burn even when not glowing. Alternative to covering the filament mark the table clearly stating “Caution Filament Can Be Hot Even If Not Glowing Red.”

Yep, it does have it’s dangers, but common sense will keep you safe, there is absolutely no reason anyone should be touching the filament before or after bending. We can add some signage on the tool to state what you have said above.

I think a quick class on the tool should alleviate any concerns for those that want to use it.

I’ll be happy to consider holding the bending table when I’m able to examine it.

Although bending acrylic would be useful, I really would like to be able to make a lot of other shapes than just angled bends. Do you suppose a bending table could be configured to make things like tubes?

Not this table, I dont think tube forming acrylic is even possible outside of manufactured extrusion.

This tool is specifically for angled bends.

Your looking for something that could heat an entire sheet of acrylic. If you want to be innovative. You might take this tool and expand it, maybe multiple aluminum channels that would heat smaller sections to enable you to roll the acrylic around a pvc pipe etc. Or maybe even a heating bed with heating elements that would uniformly soften an entire sheet.

Wow! KUDOS! What a great tool and you are very generous to offer it to the members! Thanks! I might have a use for that someday!

Hi Rodney (@rablack97)…

The Laser Committee would be glad to give the Acrylic Bending Table a home for now. A lot of members use the laser cutters to cut & etch acrylic, and I imagine it could be helpful to many of our members! :smile:

I’ve discussed it with Luke (@lukeiamyourfather), and I’d like to accept it on behalf of the Laser Committee on a temporary basis for now (partially to see how much it gets utilized; but, also because space is at a premium, and if/when we get another laser, we may not have room for the bending table at that point).

Naturally, it would be available for any member to use - we’d just be offering it a home for now… :smile:

Let me know if that works for you! If so, there is a work table near the Lasersaur (against the wall we share with the Metal Shop) that it can be placed on until we size it up and decide where it will be placed/stored in our area).

Thanks!
Lisa, Laser Committee Vice Chairperson
:smile:

Worst come to worse for space wise, I’d think it could be hung on a wall for storage.

Hello Lisa,

I will be at the space tonight to bring the acrylic bender.

Regards,

Rodney

2 Likes

Rodney,

It was great to meet you!

Thanks again for bringing the Acrylic Bending Table by, and showing a few of us how to use it!

All:

The acrylic bender I’d leaning against the wall in the Laser area near the door to the metal shop.

Usage instructions and basic safety instructions will be posted near and on it soon.

Keep in mind that the filament will continue to be HOT for a while after it’s been turned off - even when it’s no longer glowing red!

NOTE: it will take two people to safely lift it onto, then when done, off of, the work table. Be safe and find someone to help you.

1 Like

No problem Lisa.

I have additional nichrome wire should the filament need to be replaced.

A few notes

• Works best with 1/8" plexi, anything thinner than that will bubble or bow
  • Thicker pieces may need to be flipped so its heated uniformly on both sides, leaving it on one side it may bubble the job due to heat exposure.
  • There will be a small electrical spark on the screw at heat up, this is expected. Do not touch, or marvel at the light, there is current running through it. > YOU CAN SHOCK AND BURN YOURSELF AT THE SAME TIME.
  • A digital angle finder can be placed on the metal strip at the top of the tool, I suggest that if your a frequent user, to buy your own and bring it to the space.
  • Do not leave your work on the filament too long, it will bubble or bow it.
  • You can also leave the protective layer on if you want, it will not damage the plexi or leave a mark.
  • Any suggested modifications to the design are welcome.

Instructions

1. Lay your plexi on the side opposite of the lockdown bar, this is the side with the folding top.
  2. Loosen the nut on the bar and slide your piece underneath, this is not require for smaller finite bends. You can also remove the bar if it irritates you more than helps.
  3. Turn on the tool
  4. The filament will turn red, allow about 1 min to pass and check flexibility by attempting to gently lift the plexi with your hand not the lift. Keep check every 15 secs after, cause it will go from not flexible to flexible quickly.
  5. Once you see you can it bend, use the lift board to bend your job to the desired angle.
  6. Turn off the tool and hold in place for about 1 min and allow the plexi to cool.
  7. If you do it right you will have a straight clear bend, with no bubbles or imperfections

Done.

To get an idea of what it can do, there is a pieces that started out as a flat sheet, and now it looks like a contorted piece of art.

Enjoy and please be safe, as with any tool in the space, use at your own risk. If you respect the tool, it will respect you.

2 Likes

There is a Wixey in the Woodshop, please return it if you use it.

http://www.wixey.com/anglegauge/

1 Like

Yep that thing is what i’m referring too. cool.

1 Like