ABS + Traction Control Lights

Hi all. Do we have a code reader (OBDII scanner) at DMS? My ABS and Traction Control lights have come on and I want to diagnose it without having to pay the $150 diagnostic fee. My car is a 2016 Kia Soul.

Any information is appreciated. If we have it, I’ll be up there today.

1 Like

Yep, it’s in the large red cabinet. Plugged in, in the Upper-right drawer.

It can be a bit complicated to use, but I may be around tonight if you need help

4 Likes

Auto Zone has them to use for free.
https://www.autozone.com/lp/fix-finder?intcmp=HOM:FTR:3:20210309:20200000:GEN:FixFinder

Not anymore. Apparently they had to stop giving a detailed report due to a lawsuit from dealerships. From what they said today they can only tell us the light is on. (Which doesn’t help since we already know it’s on.)

You should still be able to read the code numbers. But if you can get to the Space easier to to do and probably some folks around to help.

Good luck.

For a while we also had a green/orange one in the ‘electrical’ drawer that’s much simpler if all you need is to read codes.

Given the ABS/Traction control lights, I was thinking the more advanced one was probably going to be needed. Most of the basic OBD scanners can’t get the codes for those sub-systems, much to my chagrin.

2 Likes

The “idiot light” on is on, why it is on is the key and a generic “code reader” is probably not going to tell you nor produce anything worth while.

Much like the end result of the Federal government forcing all car makers to share the same OBD port…

@Bri_Gearhart did you have any luck with this, as in locating all the needed equipment in the expected place? (My Traction Control and VSC/Trac lights, along with my check engine light, came on for no apparent reason the other day, so I think I need to do a “zero point calibration” or reset. I think…)

Ours went off on their own. We didn’t get any code after that.

1 Like

I don’t believe it. The data on the OBD port doesn’t belong to the dealer and they’d get their asses handed to them in an expensive way if they sued. The guy was just being lazy.

1 Like

The last “we” asked, about 2 months or so back, they lend the tool, but can not plug it in, read it, interpret it, etc. (supposedly something about a lawsuit, so that bit remains consistent). So they would let you pull the codes but you are on your own to do that properly or learn anything from it. Which suits me fine; I dislike others “helping” anyway. Dunno how universal that experience is, either…

Last month we stopped in and had codes read at an Auto Zone on my wife’s Mazda 6… It was time for a new cat.

Forscan & a usb/obd2 works well for Ford and Mazda vehicles. It is bi-directional

We were on the road and she wanted to know what was going on, otherwise I have a scan tool at home.