A picture paints a thousand words

Ya, call me a fascist. But the woodshop is deserted, ain’t nobody not doin’ nuttn’. Golden Rule: Leave it better than how you found it.
Peace.

2 Likes

That why I can never find a combination square? Didn’t look by the drill press, of course.

1 Like

Hey Redwood, before you thank me, I cleaned up after you. Just like your Mommie did when you were 3.
You’re welcome.

2 Likes

Redwood guy needs a talking to, if anyone feels like watching footage.

Holy crap! That’s horrible

CA looked pretty bad yesterday (Sunday) morning when I got there, too. Trash all over and paint supplies and other things. :unamused:

I’ll have someone look at the camera. What time did you arrive?

Around 8 A.M. I’m not trying to get anyone in trouble, by the way, just thought it was relevant.

Holy crap! That’s typical!

And it’s why I won’t teach Woodshop Basics anymore…it’s too frustrating, embarrassing, and potentially dangerous.

Yep i was in there yesterday, and stuff was all over the place, i’m seriously about to take on the @Brandon_Green look on things and start tossing things out. People arent listening, I saw that table and it took everything in my body to not totally clear it off.

It was actually worse than that and whoever just picked out their project and left the rest.

The planer was spotless at one point, i came back 20 mins later and there bark chips all over the place and no one around.

Its pretty simple @Robert_Davidson implement a no tolerance rule with no exceptions clean up or lose your privileges. Folks keep talking about this but nothing is done about it. The regulars plus new acccountable members are gonna get pissed off pretty soon and start calling folks out. I know i dont have a problem with it, getting old cleaning up other peoples crap, this isn’t a freakin hotel.

4 Likes

@missydee1206

This is the reason why its getting worse, that person wouldn’t be a suspect had they of just cleaned up. I left some melamine on the floor late one night, totally forgot, i got called out, talked to about it, and now its remedied and i’m one of the best cleanup after a job guy you’ll find. So why would i get a talking too, but the pigs sty pig pen get immunity due to feeling sorry for them. They take advantage of the system and the volunteers are left to clean up the slop.

4 Likes

@Azalaket I can’t make such a rule but Andrew can. I can tell you I have spent the last 5 years visiting makerspaces and one the major things that I see is the accessibility to tools nobody wants to clean up or remove someones project so that they can work.

The second item is that a clean table will remain clean for much longer than a dirty table because I believe people have a tendency to leave it the way they found it.

Finally it’s going to take enforcement, written rules do not work but tales about how people have been kicked out of the woodshop for not cleaning up there mess IMO does work.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s gotten completely out of control. It’s ridiculous to think this needs to be enforced on adults, but there you go.

But this will require the other members of the Woodshop to step up and call people out. Fast forwarding though days of video isn’t workable, and places all the burden of enforcement on one person.

If you (that’s right, you) see someone walking away from a tool without cleaning it, step up, and call them out. If they don’t get the point, then forward the name of the offender to Andrew or I, for the more draconian solution.

6 Likes

You should be trying to get them in trouble. Right now they don’t realize they did something wrong, which means they are likely to do it again.

People can’t fix something (e.g. their behavior) unless they know it’s broken.

3 Likes

Then make the video more accessible, so that more people can spend the time searching for the culprits. Our members appear to hate confrontation of any kind, so expecting them to have such is not likely to happen. Given them the ability to search video for the culprits and file anonymous complaints… That will produce results.

I doubt this is the case. Most likely they just don’t care… Which is a great reason to hold them accountable…

6 Likes

I was there yesterday and, indeed, it was busy…I know who the “culprits” are but I don’t know their names…People are willing, just ask…I got help yesterday emptying the dust collector, just by doing that…4 people jumped in.

One part of the problem, unrecognized, is that users don’t include clean-up time in their plan for the day…I don’t think they don’t care as much as, “Holy Shit! I’m late, I gotta get out of here!” Especially for those that can only come on the weekend -

Part of the burden is on those of us who know better is to point it out when we see it - for instance, I know one of the culprits from yesterday (by sight) - next time I seem him, I’m just going to offer a suggestion -

I have found over the years that people are more responsive to dialogue than to shame…

3 Likes

Thank you all for your input and support to keep the wood shop running as best we can. I am putting up a Woodshop Committee meeting today for Tuesday January 31st. Shop cleanliness and maintenance will be my top priority. I plan to have signage as well as proposed disciplinary measures prepared for us all to discuss and hopefully implement immediately afterwards.

The shop is a shared space and people need to understand that it is a privilege to work in it and use the tools. I will take responsibility that the wood shop can certainly use better signage and communication of the guidelines/rules. I will have those ready by the meeting. If somebody doesn’t want to follow the guidelines that we put up and has already been spoken to by an instructor before, then I don’t think they should get the privilege to use the shop…

2 Likes

Can you tell us what time you saw them committing he act(s)?

I left about 5:30’ish - one of the guys was making cutting boards and left before I could say, “Hey, maybe you should take care of those glue drips.” Another guy was finishing up a wood sword, which was pretty cool…but messy…to be truthful, the place was a mess when I got there around 3.

2 Likes

I definitely wasn’t saying don’t tell the person they messed up.