4.7L V8 engine rebuild

Well she’s in! Haven’t started it yet because @David and I finished the install at about 4:00am this morning.

6 Likes

I’ve always wondered this, when y’all removed the engine, how did you get the vehicle out of the shop? How did you get it back in when you wanted to reinstall?

1 Like

Strong friends… or at least one friend with a big ass truck :truck:

As it was just a motor and transmission job, his Jeep could still free-roll while having steering and brakes. This made it easy to either push around by hand, or as we did, push around with my truck.

-Dave

3 Likes

One or two of these would be handy for a snatch block / winch
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Body-Floor-Anchor-Pots-EZ-Anchor-For-Frame-Machines-Pulling-Posts-USA-/160382909030

That was one of the things I considered to get myself up into the bay. Thought about pulling from the lift posts but I figured someone would see a flip out.

I’ve thought of throwing a strap around them and using my winch to do the same thing - but yes there are the clueless that would have a problem with it

Are these the type that are used for chassis straightening?

1 Like

Yes.
In your day (mine too) cars had real frames - these are the cups that are recessed into the concrete floors to anchor frame / body machines to in order to pull and push etc, can be used to anchor the vehicle as well.

I’d be down to winch my way up the ramp :smiling_imp:

I wanted to but I’d smoke my battery without the alternator spinning. (No engine in at the time)

My thought was to spool all the way out, loop through a snatch block on the lift have the line shackled to a truck parked in the other loading door. The truck backs up, thereby pulling me up the ramp.

Unfortunatly I don’t think I have enough line to facilitate this pull

Boom: http://www.harborfreight.com/8000-lb-cable-winch-puller-69855.html

Get some muscles.

How do normal shops handle engines being out ? I guess they don’t have a ramp and have more shop room.

Usually they don’t have “dock height” on the work side of things.
But otherwise, push em in, push em out. If’n they’re fancy, they have a tug (old golf cart, that sort of thing)
I’m sure REAL shops (like Tom would have worked for) have something impressiver, but for the good ol’ boys I used to work for, you’n yer buddies WAS the power.

This could do it easily

2 Likes

You’re gonna have to take us on a tour of your work someday.

3 Likes

I see 9 things in this picture that cost more than my house :sweat:

If there was a job that I could take people on, I might do so. Most of the sites are either mission critical or construction where you have to go through safety training to be allowed on site. This site was a day & a half of training.

1 Like

People power was the way we did it - and it was mostly level ground even in Virginia. Even German cars were smaller then…
No offense Tim, but pushing your Excursion up the ramp would not be “fun” with just people power…

My 10k electric winch (made in the USA) on my car trailer has made loading items with and without wheels easier and smarter over the years.

1 Like

There is no way in hell I’d push or even attempt to push that beast, help or not. 8800lbs empty isn’t light.

1 Like

I worked on a pit crew at the drag strip in a prior life. We sometimes used an ATV to move cars around. It may not be enough to pull your Grand up our ramp, though.

SHE RUNS!!!

I let it idle in the parking lot for a while to make sure nothing started to tap or leak and then drive home!

Thanks for following along

13 Likes