4.7L V8 engine rebuild

I call that a Huge win for automotive education !

4 Likes

Awesome job on the rebuild!

We need to talk moreā€¦ :slight_smile:

Single most noble use of those killers vehiclesā€¦

1 Like

I only seem to see you in graphic design classes. Maybe I need to visit Metal Shop more oftenā€¦

2 Likes

How many months dues did you just save?:relaxed:

2 Likes

Rough breakdown: $1500 in parts
5 weeks from disassembly to first crank.

Considering a reman engine would run me $4-5000 I saved quite a bit doing it myself.

Iā€™ve got a garage at my apartment complex but the lifts and tools at DMS definitely made things more comfortable.

Iā€™ve pulled axles and done extensive suspension work in my garage and I can say with certainly thatā€™s DMS makes projects like this much less stressful.

4 Likes

So your labor was worth about $2,500 ~ $3,500 divided by however many hours it. I absolutely agree having lots of room, the tools, a comfortable space to work really helps. Plus folks to get help from.

1 Like

Is this your first rebuild or have you done it before? Yours was a lot less drama than one a few months before.

This was my first engine rebuild. I pulled the trans apart and reassembled that as well. Iā€™m fairly mechanically inclined and Iā€™m good at following directions from manuals.

4 Likes

If I had to use all my own tools, the air conditioning alone would be worth $50/ month

4 Likes

For you on the transmission. Iā€™ve done one manual. That was enough for me, too many special snap ring pliers, and other weird tools that I figured Iā€™d only use once, so decided a rebuild was easier and cheaper. I might try something like that at the Space now since lots of the tools are available.

Good work and great you were successful. That moment when you get in the vehicle,
put the key in, take a deep breath (maybe a prayer or two hoping those few extra washers left over arenā€™t THAT important) turn the key ā€¦ it cranks a bit - seems like forever, then purrs like a Tomcat in a Milk-house. Circle the block slowly, no parts on road in rearview mirror, you get it back in the drive. Turn it off, pump fist ā€œYES!ā€ Great feeling that is well earned.

5 Likes

This reminds me of when I was a kid(long ago), and a neighbor that ā€œrebuiltā€ the transaxle out of his VW Beetle and installed the diff upside down. With the turn of his key - he had 4 reverse gears and one forward.

ā€œThat moment when you get in the vehicle,
put the key in, take a deep breathā€ - Everyone that builds engines/transmissions/space shuttles etc does this at times.

Snaps - Did you make your rear bumper / spare tire mount?

3 Likes

Yes, I made (lasercut, welded, painted) both my front and rear bumpers. Iā€™m actually about to start a redesigned front bumper soon using the plasmacam.

1 Like

I have a WJ and would really like to see what you doā€¦

Please let me know when you work on your next bumper.

Yeah but you lost some hearing the other day when I was up there cutting circles with my router. Probably a wash, sorry. :smiley:

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Welcome to the Makerspace!

Your ā€œCost Hackā€ pricing is a joke right? I chose a few basic automotive items and they are not remotely close to todayā€™s real world costs in the USA without the Makerspace.

7 years for a necrobump may well be a record. Spammer banished and thread closed.