3D SCANNER in 2019

I made a post about it in December of last year. I have been traveling and wasn’t able to follow up with it outside of the fourm. However no one ever replied to it so i dont know what its status is.

I had been told it was out for repair; I don’t know when that started or if it is accurate.
Until the unit broke sometime last year I made on and off use of it.

I believe the contacts in the USB port need to be fixed or a new usb (female type A it think) port need to put on the board.

2 Likes

After a thorough search of DM this morning, I’m sad to confirm it appears as though our $3,000 3D scanner is missing. Security footage will be reviewed.

ping @thespacemaker

1 Like

Wow :astonished:

Coul, I checked 5 min ago and the scanner is where it should be

3 Likes

this is where I expect a proof of life photo including today’s Dallas Morning News to be posted…

8 Likes

I am also curious. The obvious question being, where should it be?

I vote not the digital media room. That place has been a disaster area everytime I’ve gone in there. If there is a system of organization, it’s not being used. Is the 3D scanner even working? Last time i checked it was missing cords, which no one could help me find an well as the port on the back was damaged.

1 Like

If the port on the back is damaged, and it’s not under warranty, let me know. I’d be happy to look at it and see if it can simply be reflowed back into place.

RJ

4 Likes

This, as a lot of us could not find it where we at least were used to seeing it.

However given the rats nest that room has become I wouldn’t be surprised if it was missed as many of us are afraid to deal with the tangles of wire and equipment without breaking something expensive.

1 Like

I’ve wanted to learn the 3D scanner for a while now. This excites me.

I would suggest setting up a 3d scanning station in the 3D fab room. I think it would be better utilized and be better maintained in that space. Digital Media is indeed in need of restructuring, organization, and a functional inventory.

2 Likes

After expansion, maybe. It is too tight and that is why they gave it to Digital Media.

So…whats the status of the 3D scanner? Is it accounted for and operational? As I’ve stated before it and the Form 2 are the only reasons I’m a member. Its a bit of a drive for me to get to the DMS so I’d like to know where it stands so that I don’t waste a trip up there.

2 Likes

Any update? I was there the day it was found to be missing, parts of it were on the table the day before so there should have been video?

Need to scan some stuff for a JSM class.

I didn’t find it either when I looked the other day, just the turntables.

1 Like

Well… someone could always help clean it…

We’ve organized digital media and every week it gets pillaged for HDMI cables and everything else.

If you see a mess, digital media is always open to some volunteers to clean it, the room is far too small for the amount of equipment in it, that’s why we are doubling in size after expansion.

Cheers,
Adnan

Also the turning base seems to be in digital media but the scanner itself isn’t to be found.

We’re still waiting to here of this magical place “where it should be”

Everyone else who has checked what is supposed to be it’s home has not found it, just the turntables.