3D Fab use... UNACCEPTABLE Behavior

Ok understood. Just needed clarification on the term unattended. Thanks.

As Ken said, rare but possible.

Hello all you happy peoples.

a few things for your reading pleasure:

yes Max did come to me stating what was going on before he took off and had 3 people watching it. i even talked to him via txt msg. id do the same for anyone who came to me. just let me know.

one of our golden rules (theres like…6 of them) is dont leave your prints unattended. Having a proxy is not leaving it unattended. now if your proxy goes home or says hey i cant do this anymore… then your at square one. (yet again- be excelent to eachother.)

another of our golden rules is dont touch another mans print. srsly thats not cool. dont throw it away. take it off bed once its cooled. weigh it if its a dms filament put it in a baggy and mark on baggy how much. then put it on the push board next to the phone.

if wondering “Hey Axie what are the golden rules you speak of?” well let me break you a piece of knowledge

1: be excellent (also dont be “that guy”)
2: weigh it and pay it (dms filament- we take donations too)
3: dont leave your print unattended (proxy is okay just make sure they stay. you dont HAVE to stay within the room but at least stay at dms)
_4: dont touch the nozzle (this includes fondling, grabbing, licking…just dont touch the nozzle) _
_5: dont touch another mans junk (if its done and cool- put it in a baggy and pin it to the cork board) _
6 DONT TOUCH THE KNOBS dont matter if your like 1000% better at electronics than we are, unless your with polyprinter staff or chair just dont…please

if you have a problem please search me out i am more than willing to talk one on one…

I AM IN THE PROCESS OF MAKING PROXY CARDS. for the time being if you have a proxy just write it on the white boards above the printers

as for putting things away please do. we got these brand new drawers for a reason. it makes it so much easier to find things. remember please put spatulas and callipers back once done.

axie has spoken…and now axie needs a drink XD dr.pepper away!

4 Likes

I would agree, if there is a print that was left unattended, I usually take it off the printer with the filament and mark it and put it on lost and found. I understand a long print can be costly. I agree having a proxy is a good idea but I know sometimes the proxies don’t stay around either. I know it’s not convenient sometimes. The Polyprinters are only reliable because they’re constantly fixed and maintained by the vigilant volunteers of 3D fab (and helpdesk tickets). If you are printing a critical piece that will take longer than like 12hours, you might consider renting a Polyprinter, buy a printer of your own (I have several sub $1000 suggestions), and there’s also services like 3D hubs for this. We don’t have SLA’s on our tools at the space, just keep that in mind.

Just putting it out there but I think if a member is to use a proxy for extended time then their prints should cost an extra .50 cents per ounce paid directly to the 3d chair upon printing completion.

Yes, there’s going to be times when a member cannot be at the space or needs to step away which is fine within the current context of the rules and agreeably the current rules should be better defined to prevent abuse.

However, if a proxy is to be used then there should be some compensation and for those members whom do not want to pay the extra then they can just manage their time better, after all KISSslicer is available on the Jumpbox and does a reasonable baseline estimate (not a perfect estimate but a reasonably better than just guessing estimate) which one can plan printing time from there. One could even schedule time with a 3d committee approved proxy in person given they are willing to pay the extra fee.

And yes I do see the potential for abuse in this scenario so one can just take the suggestion as my two cents on the matter to offer an extra prospective. If one likes it then run with it, if they do not then no harm or foul.

I don’t see the need for this at all, its not always a question of time management, show me anyone who can stay up here for a 12 hours or longer print. If any compensation is required it will be between the printer and proxy.

The main issue I have with what you propose is if you free the proxy should be compensated why give the extra .50 to the 3D fab chairperson?

I don’t think paying extra is at all the answer for this, regardless of where the money goes.

Kisslicer isn’t on the Jump Server. That was Lisa’s decision. But you can still download the Polyprinter install from polyprinter.com which has kisslicer. I agree we shouldn’t totally need extra fees (hopefully though at least the people with proxies are actually paying for filament used if it’s not theirs)

Also midnight and mendy are lonely, while they’re slower and have smaller build volume, they are usable. Let me know if you want to use them I’ll show you how to start a print on them.

1 Like

Well it kind of is, if one goes under the commitee drive then into the 3d_fabercation folder and dig around there to find the current version of KISSlicer and copy it to their desktop then it most certainly is.

Of course if one does that then they would have to take responsibility if it doesn’t work as expected and use the version provided on the 3D fab’s computers.

It probably won’t run the post processor correctly since it has to be ran as admin, PLEASE DO NOT change anything in kisslicer in the 3D fab committee drive, since it’s a batch file that copies the settings for the 3D fab computer instances. If you change those settings, they all change.

I must be tired. This made me giggle.
“Not prevented from finding a way to use…” is not the same as “provided…”.
:smiley:Kissslicer is also a free download, so you could say it’s “provided” to every computer anywhere with internet access…
LOL.

This doesn’t invalidate your points for getting the job done, but it’s still not the same as “provided”.

Now I’m envisioning the next potluck: “crawfish provided, you bring the sides” and we’re all envisioning steaming piles of freshly boiled mudbugs. You’re asking if we brought our nets at the front door…
:laughing:

1 Like

The idea is the extra fee is for directly paying the 3d fab committee itself. So it in turn directly provides a benefit to the space for those that do have 12+ hour prints and use a proxy.

Other ideas behind the suggestion is a higher print price will have users think more about how to optimize their prints and/or time on the printers.

But all in all I was only pointing out ideas to give a different prospective and get gears turning.

Which btw, kind of worked since I’m now wondering how one can optimize their prints (slice settings, model configurations, and the like) and if this sort of resource has been provided on the wiki?

lolz :smiley: good one Andrew

hence the warning “wound have to take responsibility if it doesn’t work” :wink:

There is a way around this that Pearce walked me through on a thread last summer.

It does not seem fair to charge more for a print just because it takes longer to print. If person “A” pays 10 a gram for 4 prints that last 3 hours each , how is it far to charge person “B” .50 a gram for 1 12 hour print? The same amount of time was used by both, and the same type of filament was used.

My understanding is that if there is a queue to use the 3d printers then you are expected to let the next in line use the printer, even if you have additional prints to do. Given this, the extra charge could be justified because the person is tying up a shared resource for an above normal time period.

This is similar to the rule where you were expected to immediately cancel your print if someone needed a printer and you were using more then one printer.

1 Like

i don’t believe adding to the price would help smooth things over, i do agree that yes the proxy should at least get compensated for their time- aka buy them a beer next time you see them- hey their helping you… and if you do feel inclined to throw a few extra bucks in the box that would be nice. sometimes the program lies, i’ve been told a 16 hour print was only going to be 3 hours- its why i tell people these are a lot like Gilligan’s island… A THREE HOUR TOUR.

printing time is kinda like the Spanish inquisition…

Everyone is missing the point, there is a NO leaving a print unattended rule, IF you feel you are an exception talk to a 3D fab chair or vice chair. IF your allowed to use a printer with a proxy it will be during off hours, like the one I did Sunday night. No on will have to wait on someone doing a extended print.

1 Like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAn7baRbhx4

My reply had nothing to do with leaving a print unattended. I was answering your question to @denzuko about why someone might be expected to pay more for tying up a 3d printer for 12+ hours.