3D Fab use... UNACCEPTABLE Behavior

I know of a couple of folks who worked very hard to rearrange the 3D Fab area. It looked
really great yesterday morning (Sunday, May 29). NICE WORK. Unfortunately, after only
one day’s worth of use it is begining to look like it did before. People are not returning tools
to the drawer from which they were found. People are not cleaning the bits and pieces of
filament made when they print their creations. COME ON PEOPLE. Take a little time to
clean-up after yourselves!! ALSO, I come in pretty early in the AM. On several occasions
I’ve found items that were obviously printed OVERNIGHT, UNATTENDED. This morning
I found FarLefty unusable because of a project printed overnight unattended. The machine
this morning is locked up… There is a name on the card (MAX KIRKLAND) - don’t know if
the pieces belong to MAX.It is my understanding that no one should leave a printer
unattended… am I wrong?..

Please be considerate of other Makerspace users of the 3D Fab area.

7 Likes

Sad. I thought making the room that nice would stay nice longer than that.

found unattended? throw it in the garbage. deal with the member harshly. there are very few rules, but they are there for a reason, eh?

Out of curiosity, is there a rule against leaving a printer unattended? If so I’m not aware of it. 99% of the time when I look into the room there are prints running that way. I thought that was the whole reason for the dry erase boards on each printer. Completely and absolutely agree people should clean up after themselves though.

I reserve the right to be wrong because I usually am and even if there isn’t a rule people shouldn’t leave their prints on the printer.

From the WIKI: “Question: What can I do if my print takes longer to print than I can stay? Answer: You must coordinate with another member to have them watch it. If a print goes bad, damage can be done to the printer, which costs money and downtime to the membership as a whole. This is not fair to everyone else, and will be avoided.”

and certainly anyone that has taken the 3d class has been told not to leave. It’s ok to walk around the building and do other things so long as you can be found, but leaving running while going home is considered a no-no.

1 Like

The print in question was left over night with permission, as for the printer being “locked up” there was nothing wrong with any of the printers this morning when I got here, all are working perfectly.

The leaving a print unattended rule is there so people don’t come up here and drop off a 10 hour print and leave for the day. THIS is unacceptable, if this were allowed everyone would be doing it and it would be chaos. Its understandable that sometimes you need a long print and cant stay up here so if that’s the case talk to the Chairman or one of the Vice chairs about leaving it on an off night, I am sure they will be happy to accommodate you.

To be clear leaving a print unattended means leaving the building for an extended time, (I don’t see a problem with stepping out for lunch). You can leave the 3D print lab as long as you stay on site.

Axeonos, Mitch and I will in the next few weeks be working to clarify all the rules and post them for all to see in 3D Fab.

In case you need to get permission, you can talk to Axeonos Robertson (the 3D fab Chairman) Mitch Ceroni or Max Kirkland ( 3D Fab Vice Chairman).

2 Likes

So was someone there to keep an eye on it?

You know that a bad print or issue with the printer can burn the place down? It’s very unlikely but possible.

1 Like

Yes there were people that were checking on it. I kept in touch with them via text messages.

Again, prints as a rule are not to be left attended, if you have a question or have an extremely long print you want to run and leave the building TALK TO THE 3D FAB CHAIR OR VICE CHAIR. It is at their discretion on when to allow this.

Okay, I am getting confused. If you have someone else watch your prints, then they aren’t unattended. So do you need to check with chair or vice chair to allow someone else to watch your prints, or do you check with them to simply leave your prints unattended?

1 Like

I could not be there I had to go home, I let the chair know this and I asked some people up here to keep an eye on it.

Lets be clear about this, If we say you can leave the building as long as have someone watch your print everyone would do it all the time and it would be a mess, which is why i say again. The rule is… You can not leave the building and leave a print running . If you think you have an exception talk to the 3D Chairperson.

Unattended (in this case) means you are not on site to deal with your print or any issues that arise from printing your print.

I would assume if you agree to watch someone else’s print job you are agreeing to be responsible for it until the owner returns or you get someome else to assume responsibiliy for watching it.

I would encourage the Chair to consider that the “person watching” puts their name under the print owners name as a POC as they are assuming responsibility and accountability until job complete & removed or owner returns.

2 Likes

You know that a bad print or issue with the printer can burn the place down? It’s very unlikely but possible.

Especially with gasoline based filament.

I can’t tell you how many time my printer has basically turned into a flame thrower with GBF filament.

2 Likes

Ok understood. Just needed clarification on the term unattended. Thanks.

As Ken said, rare but possible.

Hello all you happy peoples.

a few things for your reading pleasure:

yes Max did come to me stating what was going on before he took off and had 3 people watching it. i even talked to him via txt msg. id do the same for anyone who came to me. just let me know.

one of our golden rules (theres like…6 of them) is dont leave your prints unattended. Having a proxy is not leaving it unattended. now if your proxy goes home or says hey i cant do this anymore… then your at square one. (yet again- be excelent to eachother.)

another of our golden rules is dont touch another mans print. srsly thats not cool. dont throw it away. take it off bed once its cooled. weigh it if its a dms filament put it in a baggy and mark on baggy how much. then put it on the push board next to the phone.

if wondering “Hey Axie what are the golden rules you speak of?” well let me break you a piece of knowledge

1: be excellent (also dont be “that guy”)
2: weigh it and pay it (dms filament- we take donations too)
3: dont leave your print unattended (proxy is okay just make sure they stay. you dont HAVE to stay within the room but at least stay at dms)
_4: dont touch the nozzle (this includes fondling, grabbing, licking…just dont touch the nozzle) _
_5: dont touch another mans junk (if its done and cool- put it in a baggy and pin it to the cork board) _
6 DONT TOUCH THE KNOBS dont matter if your like 1000% better at electronics than we are, unless your with polyprinter staff or chair just dont…please

if you have a problem please search me out i am more than willing to talk one on one…

I AM IN THE PROCESS OF MAKING PROXY CARDS. for the time being if you have a proxy just write it on the white boards above the printers

as for putting things away please do. we got these brand new drawers for a reason. it makes it so much easier to find things. remember please put spatulas and callipers back once done.

axie has spoken…and now axie needs a drink XD dr.pepper away!

4 Likes

I would agree, if there is a print that was left unattended, I usually take it off the printer with the filament and mark it and put it on lost and found. I understand a long print can be costly. I agree having a proxy is a good idea but I know sometimes the proxies don’t stay around either. I know it’s not convenient sometimes. The Polyprinters are only reliable because they’re constantly fixed and maintained by the vigilant volunteers of 3D fab (and helpdesk tickets). If you are printing a critical piece that will take longer than like 12hours, you might consider renting a Polyprinter, buy a printer of your own (I have several sub $1000 suggestions), and there’s also services like 3D hubs for this. We don’t have SLA’s on our tools at the space, just keep that in mind.

Just putting it out there but I think if a member is to use a proxy for extended time then their prints should cost an extra .50 cents per ounce paid directly to the 3d chair upon printing completion.

Yes, there’s going to be times when a member cannot be at the space or needs to step away which is fine within the current context of the rules and agreeably the current rules should be better defined to prevent abuse.

However, if a proxy is to be used then there should be some compensation and for those members whom do not want to pay the extra then they can just manage their time better, after all KISSslicer is available on the Jumpbox and does a reasonable baseline estimate (not a perfect estimate but a reasonably better than just guessing estimate) which one can plan printing time from there. One could even schedule time with a 3d committee approved proxy in person given they are willing to pay the extra fee.

And yes I do see the potential for abuse in this scenario so one can just take the suggestion as my two cents on the matter to offer an extra prospective. If one likes it then run with it, if they do not then no harm or foul.

I don’t see the need for this at all, its not always a question of time management, show me anyone who can stay up here for a 12 hours or longer print. If any compensation is required it will be between the printer and proxy.

The main issue I have with what you propose is if you free the proxy should be compensated why give the extra .50 to the 3D fab chairperson?

I don’t think paying extra is at all the answer for this, regardless of where the money goes.

Kisslicer isn’t on the Jump Server. That was Lisa’s decision. But you can still download the Polyprinter install from polyprinter.com which has kisslicer. I agree we shouldn’t totally need extra fees (hopefully though at least the people with proxies are actually paying for filament used if it’s not theirs)

Also midnight and mendy are lonely, while they’re slower and have smaller build volume, they are usable. Let me know if you want to use them I’ll show you how to start a print on them.

1 Like

Well it kind of is, if one goes under the commitee drive then into the 3d_fabercation folder and dig around there to find the current version of KISSlicer and copy it to their desktop then it most certainly is.

Of course if one does that then they would have to take responsibility if it doesn’t work as expected and use the version provided on the 3D fab’s computers.