2021 Ceramics Committee Meeting Agendas

I was thinking that if those who were wanting the clay…need to be the ones to empty the buckets. If they want the clay they need to take the time and get the bucket before anyone has a chance to get to the point of overflowing. And at the same time, please potters… if buckets are left there for reclaimed clay…DO NOT…keep placing clay on top when it is already full.

Ceramics Committee Meeting 20210105 - Dallas Makerspace
Hopefully I noted everything correctly.

1 Like

Thank you for updating:)
5 pounds is one fifth of a 25 pound bag no? Or do you mean 5 pounds to each person would take a while bag for the class? Sorry, need to go get my coffee;)

Shelving is fixed :+1:t2:
Glaze bottles have been put in an order. Most likely will not stay that way, but we wanted to organize anyways :+1:t2:

7 Likes

dang!! You’re superwoman! Thanks for doing that!! :slight_smile: You’re coffee bean “muscle”.

2 Likes

Big THANK YOU to Steve and Johnny for redoing the wedging table!!! No fingers were stapled :+1:t2:

8 Likes

It is sooo beautiful!

11 Likes

Love the finished touched!!!

3 Likes

Yes I love the finished table… that’s just fabulous! Thank you

2 Likes

just got to DMS and saw this in person and was coming on here to post a pic :heart_eyes: thank you for doing this! It looks amazing!

2 Likes

Someone needs to find some paint or clear coat before it’s gets all makerspaced out :crazy_face:

That looks fantastic! Thank you!

1 Like

Here is February’s Agenda for our next ceramics committee meeting on Tuesday, February 2nd @6:30pm in the North Conference Room.

Here are the topics I know of, along with presenters:

1. Removing the slip cast table update (Amanda)
  2. Paypal for Glaze fund
  3. Kiln Team Update (TBD)
  4. Vote on T shirt slogans (Amanda).
    So far I have:
    CBD - Clay Builds Dreams
    There’s nothin’ hotter than a potter
    Mudstruck
  5. Test tiles Update (@Christykaake/@jmeinel)
  6. Special Event/Firing requests for March- Cone 5? Slow Cool?
  7. Praise for potters - @coffeebean
  8. Grocery list: kiln shelves, buckets, diamond grinding discs?

Upcoming events/meetings
Trinity Clay sale now until Feb. 5
Area Deep Clean Sun. Feb. 7 @ 5pm
Cone 5 firing Fri. Feb. 19
Luster/Decal firing Fri. Feb. 26
Tues. March. 2nd @ 6:30pm in the North Conference Room - next committee meeting

2 Likes

We didn’t get the bats or the posts in the last Trinity order so we should add those to the list to confirm amounts and sizes. We may also need cones, ill confirm when training this week.

Yes, you are correct. Good catch!
Regarding the bats, @jmeinel is working with machine shop on potentially getting them to source our bats (per Connor’s suggestion) for a cheaper price and better quality product, but I’ll let her update us with what she knows.

It’s definitely not going to be cheaper (at least in the short term). Where it would save money is the long term because you wouldn’t have to buy bats anymore since the aluminum ones wouldn’t warp. I want to get a prototype made and if we like them, we can spread out when they are made so it’s not a huge expenditure all at once. It will be a 1000x better quality product though.

I’m also trying to research and think of other ideas of what we can use that won’t warp or wear out from DMS abuse that would be cheaper than aluminum. :thinking:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://ceramic.school/pottery-bats/amp/&ved=2ahUKEwikntqs5KruAhUOQ60KHWxjApQQFjAKegQILhAB&usg=AOvVaw0lUyc1wTaTdJqd8zERNaCJ&ampcf=1

1 Like

@Liamluu will you be joining us? if so, do you want to mention your idea for the top shelf of the (throwing shelves)?

I’ll be there. Since we have a larger foot print now, I thought it would be nice to have a small shelf/gallery space open for all instructors. First it would promote our committee by showing of things taught in classes at the space. Second when tours are conducted it’s a great talking point and attract new members to join and take classes. Just a fun thought.

6 Likes