2021 Ceramics Committee Meeting Agendas

Also remember, the agenda needs to go up on the wiki.

Before hand or after?

Before, especially if there is to be a vote (we discussed whether we were keeping the slip casting table or not). Then the same page can be updated to reflect the outcome.

Can make one for you if you want.

1 Like

That would helpful, thank you.
From what Iā€™ve found and the members Iā€™ve talked to, donā€™t believe the slip cast table needs a vote, it just needs a new location in the space for now.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Ceramics_Committee_Meeting_20210105
Ok, page has been created.
Logistics/Pearceā€™s approval for placement of table I guess.

A quick and dirty solution to the sink issues and our discussion of reclaiming/reusing clay would be to buy two plaster 18" bats like these and a bucket to dump trimmings/throwing slip into. We can just scoop out the clay and dump it on the bats to dry and rewedge it into community clay.

3 Likes

I built an area for plaster bats into the wedging table outside the doors.

Prolly $40 in plaster.

3 Likes

Table we repurposed before reopening. Hip height for easier wedging. 1 1/2ā€ thick sturdy table. With removable plaster bats for various use. When removed table is a down draft table for sanding bisque or green. Attaches to current vac or can be fitted for filter. Two sides with open legs at bottom for bucket storage. Correct canvas weight wonā€™t pull or move.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a great table JB! Thank you for the time you took to put that together. Did anyone else help you with it?

1 Like

Reminder- the first ceramics committee meeting is this evening at 6:30pm. I will be calling in and believe that quite a few us are. The info has been posted to the event @thanks @Anette_Henningson & @coffeebean for your assistance.
Remember to log into your dms gmail account to launch the video chat option.

Meet - htw-eyii-drk (google.com)

Or open Meet and enter this code: cpk-mzbp-yqd

Dial in (audio only): (US) +1 813-370-0709 PIN: 281 177 145#

1 Like

I had intended to bring up the topic of clay-recycling tonight, but I have to work, and wonā€™t be able to attend.

Iā€™d like to keep recycling, and to that end Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ll get 3 smaller buckets for clay sorting. Thatā€™ll make it easier for me (and whoever else might like to help recycle) to handle.

2 Likes

I second the recycling buckets.

White bodies only :pray:t3: Unless another option was in mind? Assume your thinking 3 stages?

We canā€™t expect the cleaning ppl, to be able to haul out full large trash cans of scraps.

1 Like

I have my big bucket thats already filled with nothing but white bodied T Mix and Stoneware that Iā€™m more than happy to donate haha

1 Like

Maybe all those who want the clay can leave buckets with their names on themā€¦they keep an eye on them and remove them when it gets to the top? And if everyone could stop overflowing them that would awesome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, the biggest issue (as with other committees) is that well intended, over ambitious people will volunteer for something, but sometimes there is no follow through. This is one of those tasks where we absolutely need follow through and execution to maintain a reasonable amount of organization and cleanliness so that the buckets are not overflowing or neglected. If we can do it routinely, Iā€™d be down but Iā€™m not sure any of us can actually commit and follow through with this, on schedule. Thoughts?

Reclaiming event?

1 Like

oooo an eventā€¦ I like where your mind is goingā€¦

Dump the buckets in the trash if they are full. The purpose was never completely for recycling, more so to encourage less clay down the sink, and the keep soggy trash cans at bay.

At least we wonā€™t have the cleaning ppl trailing it through the whole building like yesterday.

Iā€™m good. Maybe those that wanted to help obtain and distribute pay to clay might want it to recycle and help out the noobies.

Eh, recycled clay comes with itā€™s own set of problems and would need several owners.
But we have some good ideas that came from last nightā€™s meeting (and with finance approval) on how to get clay into newbā€™s hands without too much effort or financial gain/loss. Stay tunedā€¦ :slight_smile: