2018 BoD Election (4/12), Statements of Intent and Voting Rights

I’ll disagree.
The “meet the candidates” is just that, and any candidate is welcome to make an appearance or not. PR should be putting this on, and making every effort to accommodate as many candidates as possible. But impartiality shouldn’t really even be a concern unless voting members raise a ruckus. Choose the date well in advance (6 months?) and post it. Let would-be candidates come or not. if they come, they’ve officially entered the race. if they don’t come, they can still enter the race, but will not have the {benefit|liability} of participating in the candidate’s chance for public discourse.
Which having said, who am I to stop the “when in doubt, put a new rule/policy out there” train from barreling through? Nobody…

Why is there not an official deadline to state your intent?

Probably because a rule has never been passed. That effectively makes the deadline the same as the start of voting. :wink:

1 Like

Anyone who plans on voting needs to check / request voting rights. They expire every year right after the annual election so if you haven’t renewed them … you don’t have them. Edit: This was incorrect information.

As of today, voting right assignment is a manual process so don’t wait until the last minute and expect to be able to vote.

1 Like

The voting rights did not expire last year due to the BoD changing the rule.

3 Likes

Thank you for the correction. I will edit my post.

1 Like

Meet the candidates is totally voluntary. It was started by members that wanted to ask all the candidates questions.

If you attend, fine… If you don’t attend, it does not impact your ability to run for a position.

3 Likes

The real deadline is the deadline to get onto the electronic ballot.

Now when is that?

1 Like

I have not received any communications about setting up the online voting system. Since I’m not running for BoD, I’m willing to run elections again.

7 Likes

Talk to @AlexRhodes about the company used.

I know who we used, SimplyVoting. I just have not heard any deadlines for registering as a voting member or the dates we want to host the election.

1 Like

My understanding is that is happening tonight

Infrastructure was given money to pay for SimplyVoting. If you want to run the process, I would welcome you taking it over. I’ll pay for it.

Thank you for volunteering!

4 Likes

If we follow the date structure from last year, it will be midnight April 1.

1 Like

I think @Robert_Davidson got a quote from them and paid for it. You provided the voting members CSV and I setup the questions.

Midnight at the start or the end of April 1?

1 Like

LOL
24:00 April 1, or 00:00 April 1?
I had the same question.
Either way, heckuva day…

11:59PM 4/1/18

1 Like

Who is going to sue? Walter isn’t able to any more…

4 Likes

Zack,

Come on guy, give it a rest, I do assume you are being sincere and EDIT: NOT trying to assume the mantle of troll.

All ballots at corporations and government have cut off dates for being listed on the ballots. You have to persuasively argue that the cut-off date is “unreasonable”, but I doubt you could find a judge that would find being put on the ballot as late as 4 days before the election was unreasonable, unconscionable, prejudicial to candidates or that candidate can submit a SOI as late one a hour before the paper (in-person) ballot at annual meeting election.

If you really believe that this is illegal, file a SOI one hour after getting your name on the electronic ballot is closed. This will probably help you have standing sue as a plaintiff. You can file for injunctive relief to stop the election or electronic the electronic ballot if you don’t want to wait till the cut-off (but standing may be an issue).

As to the authority, the elections are held at the annual meeting. Our by-laws leave conducting this meeting, which includes voting, since it is the purpose of the annual meeting to the BoD sets the date and how the meeting will be conducted - which includes voting…

Section 2.3 Annual Meeting

The annual meeting of the Board of Directors shall be conducted at a place and time set by resolution of the Board of Directors.

I do agree we should set in the Rules the annual meeting date, voting related matters: time, place, and manner of voting. I’d suggest 3rd Sunday in April.

But not formally having this in rules currently when Section 2.3 grants the BoD powers for conducting the annual meeting does not invalidate or make this election unlawful.

You may disagree with everything I just said and you have a right to file suit for relief and may exercise that right. If others feel this way, they can join you and share the cost.

2 Likes