2018 BoD Election (4/12), Statements of Intent and Voting Rights

Shortcut to Wiki: 2018 Statements of Intent

DMS Voting Rights site is live at https://votingrights.dallasmakerspace.org/ it allows you to add or remove your own voting rights.

You must have been a member in good standing 90 days prior to registering and be other than an Add-on member.

If you don’t plan on voting, please keep in mind that every registered voter that doesn’t show up (or send a proxy) makes it more difficult to meet quorum at member meetings.

2 Likes

Short instruction for creating a Statement of Intent in our wiki:

Login to our wiki, then type the following into your browser address bar:

https://dallasmakerspace.org/w/index.php?title=2018_Statement_of_Intent_Joe_Blow

and click on “edit this page”

Include the following lines in your edit, and save to create your Statement of Intent. The first line is optional and only needed if you plan to include a picture in your statement. A picture can be added by clicking on “Tools”, “Upload file” in the left hand section of th wiki.

[[File:Joe Blow 2018.jpg|framed|right|x200px|Joe Blow]]
[[Category:2018 Statements of Intent]][[Category:Statements of Intent]]

This letter is to serve as formal notification that I, Joe Blow, am officially 
submitting my name to run for election to the Board of Directors for Dallas 
Makerspace for the year 2018.

/S/ Joe Blow 

Nominated by: Jane Doe, John Doe, John Q. Public

If my AD Groups (Member of) show Voting_Members, does that mean I have voting rights?

2 Likes

Yes

• a bunch of unnecessary characters
2 Likes

You can confirm whether you are registered to vote, in the same way that you confirm your AD Group membership. Check if you are a member of the group “Voting Members”

You can do this using one of the specially-configured kiosks in the Common Room.

• or -

You can do it remotely if you log into the jump server and run “Active Directory Users and computers” - find your name and see if you are a member of the group Voting_Members. [All Programs / Administrative Tools / Active Directory Users and Computers … Members / your name / Member of]

3 Likes

A check page like this one (automotive lift group is the example in this case) would be nice for checking whether you’re in the “Voting Members” group.
I think these were put together by @StanSimmons and maybe he’d be willing to do it again for this?

3 Likes

Due to privacy concerns, multiple members have asked that such a list not be publicly available. I don’t get the concern… but there you go.

You can check your voting status by using @John_Marlow’s examples above, or you can just send in an email to [email protected] asking for Voting Rights and I’ll check for you and let you know if you already have them, or I’ll add them if you don’t.

2 Likes

Roger that. I understand. I did not realize the links produced a list of users; I thought it checked YOUR login to see if you were a member of said group. (To be fair, if I could read, that would help). But I understand why we might not want to have every group member listed like that. Thank you for checking it out!

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Strategic questions for Board of Directors / candidates

Because I don’t see this information easily locatable on Talk, the wiki, or the calendar. When is the election?

3 Likes

April 12, you will be receiving a letter soon

3 Likes

Thank you @Kriskat30

1 Like

The no-mouse version…

Select then copy this…

cmd /c gpresult /V | find "Voting" & pause

Log into the jump server. Press Ctrl + Esc to display the Start Menu. Paste. Press Enter. The result looks something like this…

Voting Members
Press any key to continue . . .
2 Likes

@diplomat … do you administer the bulletin board by the front lobby? Would you be willing to print the Statements of Intent from the wiki and post them on the bulletin board? Not everyone uses our electronic resources.

Or, failing that, I would be willing to do it the next time I’m at the space, if you want me to.

3 Likes

What is the deadline? I couldn’t find it in the rules. Probably starting me in the face, of course.

1 Like

SOI deadline has historically been defined as shortly before the Meet The Candidates meeting starts.

The only deadline is election.

According to the Bylaws Section 4.6.1 Board Election Meeting.

Meet the Candidates is a made up, undocumented process.

5 Likes

This is one of those paths to hell paved with good intentions.

1 Like

Right, it sounds like a great idea, but requires a policy to ensure it’s impartial.