'08 Mazda 3 2.3L apparent oil deprivation - "how f__ked is it?"

I don’t think that model has a PCV valve - but if it does (not every car does) it is a cheap and easy maintenance item, along with the rubber grommet it may fit in.

2 Likes

The auto parts sources I generally use are mostly leaning towards high-temp RTV for the oil pan gasket. Is this advisable?

If it’s this stuff, that’ll do.
https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/ultra-series-gasket-makers/permatex-ultra-grey-rigid-high-torque-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-2/
If it’s something else, I’d need more info.

EDIT: I’d need more info. I’m seeing gaskets listed for an 08 3 2.3. Is this an aluminum or steel oil pan (I’m assuming aluminum, in which case, “gasket maker” is usually specified, unlike the steel, where it usually is not and an actual gasket is usually available.)

I’ll bring a tube of Victor Reinz sealant

1 Like

So when does the patient get its bottom end probed? :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Replacement parts are showing up next week, so weekend after this one.

2 Likes

Hopefully, it won’t metastasize during that time.

Parts before diagnosis?

If I’m going to tear apart the bottom end, figured I’d get seals. Was a fraction of a car payment, incl crank bearings.

Edit: Found the problem.

Either they fixed it or it’s an issue on your end…

Parts are finally in for the suspected crankshaft bearings and lower seals (after yours truly got around to ordering them). I tentatively plan on working on it this Sunday the 25th starting around noon if anyone is interested.

2 Likes

My calendar pegs the 24th as Saturday, but maybe I’m reading wrong. It’s been a long week.
Either way, this weekend is out for me. Please take photos :thumbsup: (and maybe do a write up)…
:smile:

They changed it on me!

2 Likes

This is apparently not happening today. Mowed the lawn and got caught up in other chores.