PowerWheel Spec Racing?

Anybody out there into PowerWheel spec racing? Seems like these might make good practice rigs…
http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/zip/5496669365.html

Or maybe they should be refurbed and used for the semi-offered performance driving class that was stymied by several factors that using these guys MIGHT resolve…

That ad on craigslist is interesting.
How’d you come across them? LoL

P.S. Maybe their refurbishment could be a teaching project for electronics?

Side note. The “seller” looks to be an Audi person. :smiley:

Last time I looked into it it seemed like they were very limited on allowed performance and battery tech. Are there any races in DFW coming up?

To be honest, I have no idea.
The 2016 schedule for Power Racing Series (the “Maker Faire” sanctioned body, as far as I know) has not yet been posted, as far as I know.
I’m sure everyone can find this on their own, but here is their rules/schedule page.

Section 2.7 covers motors:
2.7 | Motors

All motors must be electrically powered. All power supplies must 
range from 12-36 volts RMS maximum input to the motors. Before each 
race, track officials will test the voltage to the motor of each 
vehicle.

Section 2.5 covers batteries, and no LiPo. Otherwise, largely appears to be <$500, but that is probably oversimplifying. And these are 2015 rules, so who knows on 2016…

I like to peruse the “free” listings. :slight_smile:

Wanna see what goes into one of these bad boys?
makezine “build”

would transplanting the space kart parts into the frame be considered free? :smiley:
But the space kart uses a 48v?

The motor/controller on the space kart cost too much to fit in the $500 total limit (motor alone was $500), not to mention in current configuration exceeds the power limit by an order of magnitude, space kart is ~400amps ~15kw, limit in powerwheel spec is 40amps 1.4kw

I’m kidding re the transplant. Maybe. LoL

http://www.powerracingseries.org/teams/dallas-makerspace

FYI we are already a registered team

1 Like

Should someone go claim a couple of those cars? That leaves $500 for repair and mods.

Looks like they were already claimed…