Anyone interested in High Performance Driving Basics class?

Can DMS have a class like this ( thoughts spurred by the upcoming 24HourOfLemons)?

3 Likes

Best to ask @Brandon_Green

Certainly, the typical way to setup a class is to simply click Add Event on the calendar page https://dallasmakerspace.org/calendar/ and if you want to request honorarium email [email protected] with a description.

Oh, also, who would teach this class? Or, is the question purely hypothetical?

@Opcode I can teach the class. I’ve got motorsports experience in a few different disciplines and have been an instructor for a performance driving school for a time.

@Brandon_Green Thanks. Will do that.

3 Likes

For honorarium, you must notify Admin at least twelve days in advance of your class and obtain at least three Board member approvals.

@Ferman I would sidn up its been to long since I have had class in this area of driving. I would love the practice and critique.

Are you talking about actual driving or just discussion.

Personally I am fine with just discussion, talking about lines, braking, shifting etc.

You could bring in a simulator.

Where I am not comfortable is DMS hosting a class where an instructor goes on the road, track etc.

Ideally, there should be some seat time in order for anyone who would be interested to learn to get the most out of it.

@ke5bud Great!
Let’s see what’s the level of interest as well as what’s allowed/approved and what’s not.

Where would this be?

Wtf, that is not cool, and the poster should delete that video

7 Likes

That was my reaction and thoughts exactly when I found this one and some others on Youtube.

…X…

That is 100% not acceptable behavior!
To further add if I see it or even hear about it happening again I will use my authority to immediately ban them from the space and push for their immediate removal from DMS permanently

3 Likes

See the car come around the corner at the end? Trio of idiots right there.

I agree, as I see it as a NEGATIVE image for DMS. Perhaps you will be far more persuasive than I was with some of the YouTube posters.

…X…

For the basics an area the size of the back lot will be sufficient.
An area that’s twice the size where a small handling course can be laid out would even be better.
A flat dirt/gravel area that’s twice (or more) the size of the back lot would also be good.
The driving exercises can be designed to work with the available area(where ever it may be).

I am sorry but this is not possible. You are welcome to do class discussion, Simulator etc.
But you may not teach a class that involve actual driving.

DMS is not a driving school, we don’t have adequate insurance, a private track/parking lot, safety crews.

For those that are interested I would recommend attending an event hosted by.

http://www.apexdrivingacademy.com/
http://www.thedriversedge.net/

Etc.

But we are not equipped to handle this type of activity

3 Likes

Sooooo…what are all those little orange cones I saw last nite in the back parking lot for?? AutoCross?
Just ask’n…

to keep people from parking in front of the dumpster. We have missed pick ups in the past because people parked in front of the dumpster on pick up day/nights.

2 Likes

I’m certainly interested, but also understand that finding a good location to do any actual driving is going to be nigh-on impossible. There are quite a few track days in the next couple weeks and I’m probably doing at least one of them.