Please don't erase names in the queue >.<

The other night both my name and my phone number were in the que for the thunder and I was in the space the whole evening. I went to check awhile later and my name had been erased. Pulled up the camera ands I know exactly who did it and will have a private, calm conversation with the person. As I came in early the next morning to run my cuts the machine was down and now my work is behind. Please dont be that guy. Follow the system.

7 Likes

Actually, there is no system. The Board of Directors has repeatedly stated that tools at the Dallas Makerspace are first-come-first-serve.

Really?? I’ve only every heard, read, and been told to use the sign up queue in particular for the Lasers and the 3D printers. Is this just a courtesy then? I don’t have to worry about getting banned if I’m using printer non-stop even if there is a queue??

there is a system in place whether or not the BOD stands behind it or no…its called common courtesy.

7 Likes

You mean “being excellent”? :wink:

8 Likes

The queue system that 3D Fab and Laser haver had as long as I have been a member are entirely consistent with that policy.

The tools are first come first serve…

The queues just allow members to not have to be under someone’s armpit the whole time. There is a difference between the queue system that Laser and 3D Fab committees use, and a scheduling system that would allow reservations. We absolutely do not have a reservation system at all. It’s still first come first serve and the members are still expected to be at the Space the whole time.

6 Likes

I mean it’s kinda a dick move but no I don’t think you’ll be banned for it. I know of at least 2 separate people who’ve used it for ~12 hours before.

I wouldn’t take advantage. My point is what I was told is different from what the policy actually is.

No it isn’t. The use of the queues in 3D Fab and Laser are entirely consistent wit the board’s policy that we don’t allow tool reservations

The queues require you to be at the space somewhere waiting for your turn, just as Lisa said above. The boards policy was designed to prevent people for doing things like; “I will be using the XXX from 2pm-8pm on Friday the XXX”

4 Likes

Got it. The queue is not a Reservation System.

6 Likes

Yah. I’ve also found it helpful to write the date and time that you’re there as well. I get more success with people actually texting me that I’m up that way because people just assume (often correctly) that the name is from the previous day if no one’s really around the laser cutter.

4 Likes

My point is I was in the space the whole time and even asked the people in front of me to call or text or find me in CA and then some person comes in and doesn’t want to wait so they erase my name without contacting me. What’s the point in the que if people do that? I had to wait my turn so why is it ok for you to bump ahead in line?

10 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: Punishment Committee (Dark Humor)

Well I guess that the point is that the queue is an ideal solution, but not a perfect one, so some people are ignorant to the queue or are ass holes and just jump the queue so they out themselves that way of who to not deal with.

I mean if you come to the space with a set schedule in mind, you’re going to have a bad time because inevitably someone will be using the tool you want, or it’ll be broken, or it’ll just be flat out gone. A project that should take an hour almost always takes several.

2 Likes

Absolutely nailed it.

1 Like

And let’s look at the silver lining on this one, the lens was replaced improperly on the thunderlaser that night and was cracked, so it would have been the source of many problems for you had you actually got to cut.

I did get it fixed that night but then the damned blower toggle switch burned itself up.

5 Likes

Did we fix the toggle or is it something else?

Not that I know of, Patrick has been awol in the chat. If we fix the toggle it’s going to happen again. Just a matter of time. We need to get it working in its original condition.

Is there anything in the laser info book that covers how to properly change the lens? And is that something anyone can do or just the laser maintenance team? Sounds like it can cause a lot of problems/damage if not done properly.

1 Like