Looking for 4K Screen For LabVIEW Class

I noticed that they put one in at the entryway where the comfy chairs are. But I would like to use one for LabVIEW class.

The laptop I am using can drive HDMI and some remote screen protocol thats wireless. It ‘seraches’ for nearby displays sometimes when I hit wrong button. Anyhow, it would be wey cool if one of the classrooms had a wireless 4k, or just an hdmi 4k would do. Anyone aware of which room, if any, has 4k options?

1 Like

@semaphore1999 ~ I see from the related LabVIEW Class thread, that you found a solution to be able to use a 4K Screen for that particular class; and, at a pretty darned good price! Thanks for sharing that info ~ I’m sure others will be interested to know about it as well! :smiley:

----------

That being said, I do think it would be a great idea to have at least one 4K TV available in one of the classrooms (or possibly on a cart so it can be moved to whichever area is needed for similar situations). As such, I am going to move this thread from the “Classrooms” category to the “Issues and Requests” category and mark it as a “REQUEST” for a 4K resolution TV for classroom use. Thanks for the great idea! :smiley:

@Team_Education ~ what do you say? Will you please consider purchasing a 4K resolution TV (possibly on a cart to maximize it’s usefulness) for classroom use? It seems to be a pretty good price! :dms: :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, Lisa! I am certainly happy to have this monitor at home, and will welcomd opportunity to use such a thing especially for LabVIEW class at DMS. The brand I got from BestBuy is Hisense, which has ‘smart tv’ options in its driver. Its as cool as any samsung I have ever seen.

The only thing that remains for me to do to schedule LabVIEW class is to read the latest and greatest rule set on requirements for honorarium compliance. I think we will have nice attendance for that class, so I would like to take a stab at being compliant and earning $ for myself and electronics. So any advice as to what thread is directly on point, or should I post a thread to find THE thread on that topic?

1 Like

Thanks for the additional details James!

Here are the two most recent/relevant threads about honorarium.

1 Like

You’d also have to have graphics card capable of 4K resolution or your just using more pixels to create the same typical HD resolution, correct?

3 Likes

That is correct.

2 Likes

Digital Media may be a better home for something like this. I recall they were wanting to get one but was having a hard time justifying it.

Most people teaching classes will not be able to use the resolution and we really need larger screens rather than higher resolution in the classrooms.

3 Likes

That’s a critical issue with LabVIEW especially. Having the screen real estate is nice, but once the resolution gets to a certain point those of us with less than perfect eyesight can’t see the terminals on the icons due to the tiny pixel size. The lack of a zoom function is a major flaw in LabVIEW. One finally to be fixed as I understand it.

Projectors are a much better choice for classes and presentations. A setup with two projectors would be awesome. Almost as much screen resolution and a much larger display. Probably easier to arrange at DMS too.

2 Likes

I can’t remember how it came up, but a little magnifying glass appeared on my screen yestereday. How did I get to that? it was cool even though I am now with both eyeballs averageing 3 feet of distance from 50 inch display.

OK, I found it. In windows 10, I go to my homegirl Cortana, say the word ‘magnifyer’ and she is all over it.

I sure can see a lot of code at once in LabVIEW this way. I may get sucked into screen by poltergeist, but it is really fun and cool on my end while running this risk…

I suspect it would be awesome while sitting 3 feet back from the screen, right up until the poltergeist grabs you of course. I’ve been considering a similar setup for my home rig. I use 2x24" Dell ultrasharps at work.

As for the magnifier - that’s the standard NI answer. I know it’s the best one they have at present, and I know why. ( all the icons are bitmaps… ) I always have found the magnifier unusable though. It’s such a cludge to use in the first place, and it’s not that I need it intermittently.

The upcoming recode to get ( finally ) a zoom function will be most welcome. I will not be using it to make things smaller on the screen…

1 Like

I think that given the low pricetag, you put one on a cart and see how much use it gets (I know of one member who would use that for sure)…

Yes, in order to utilize 4k screen in actual 4k mode, you have to have a video card which has the ability to utilized approx 4000X2000 pixel area simultaneously. I went out of my way to purchase a laptop that does this. The laptop I have was about $900 on ebay one year ago. And it has not come down in price at all, still sells for about the same. It has a 15 inch screen that has the 8 milling requred pixels, but they are so small I find myself squinting and arching my neck painfully to use them. So the 50 inch screen has allowed me to use all those pixels, although I for sure look silly with my face planted in the middle of this huge TV.

After more that 4 decades of looking like a silly computer geek, Im OK with it,. If DMS gets a 4k on a cart, I’ll be using it when its available, If not, I may bring mine for the labview presentation. I think its fun, cool, interesting, even awesome, but its not impossible to work without it.

But it seems we may have been able to program in LabVIEW prior to 4k availability. I will have to reference my notes to verify, but I think LabVIEW was first, the chicken and egg followed simultaneously shortly thereafter. It was tough, but LabVIEW programming took place 20 years ago when I first used it.

I say put a cheapie hisense on a cart and place bets to see how much utilization it gets…

What is absolutely essential for proper utilization of proposed system: cable television integration including all pay channels… can’t reasonably be expected to produce without it…lol…

@Draco there is a request to have a 4K TV purchased for use at the 'Space. @Bill mentioned that @Team_Digital_Media was considering purchasing a 4K TV at one point. Are you still considering it? If so, I will leave this “REQUEST” thread open for you to provide updates, if you’d like. Otherwise, I will go ahead and close it as either “DENIED” or “PENDING” (depending upon whether you plan on purchasing one or not…) - OR - if you want to leave the thread open for discussion, the thread can be changed from a “REQUEST” back to a “discussion” thread and moved into the Digital Media category for continued discussion. Just let me know ~ Thanks!

Look what ebay has:

Under $250, delivered. No ‘smart tv’. I discovered that the casting feature internal to hisense is up to 1920X1080 (full HD) only. So I use HDMI anyway. This one is only 40", but I think same company sells a 50" for maybe 275 delivered. 4K is gettin’ cheap!

I did a little reading on this today.

It seems you need to be careful if one of the end uses is as a computer monitor. You really want one that can do 4:4:4 Chroma. The screens that use 4:2:2 (?) do odd things at the edges of windows and to text.

Just something to consider.

2 Likes

I found a ‘torture image’ and tested my monitor. And yes, I can see the artifacts at edges. So I would say that the image is imperfect. If you are perfectionist beyond belief, this could a problem for you, and you will need to spend a lot of money on a monitor if you want 4k.

On the other hand, my TV, obviously doing 422 to be as cheap as it was, still shows tiny, tiny text quite nicely. I can see the artiffacts, but I can read the text just fine. And only a psychopath would have the text as tiny as I do anyhow. I mean, you never know when you will need to edit 32 Word documents in view of each other at all times…

Otherwise, there is the ability to set windows 10 font size, and I imagine most folks would want text larger than the 9 point tiny that I am using. It is even smaller than the torture image text.

Or, you know, see the world a little differently than you. Display artifacts are more noticeable to some of us than others.

I’ll be saving up ( the additional $200 over what you paid - unless there’s a sale ) so I can get the Samsung 6300 series instead of going with whatever the lowest priced one I can find is.

YMMV.

Well guess what. I started fiddling with the TV settings, as you ahve me quite concerned. I began to wonder if there was a pass through 1:1 setting on the controller since the data from PC is HDMI, so digitally perfect. The problem comes into play when the cheaper processer board does colorspace conversion to the image for color, tint, brightness, etc. controls.

So I began to wonder if there was a pass thru mode. You know 1:1 means there is no fallout to 422. With p;ass thru, I should be able to get 444 by virtue of the fact that I am not altering the image data in any way via the processor board in my ‘smart tv’.

In fiddling with the menus, I noticed that i was in overall ‘power saving’ mode. No wonder the screen was sorta dark. I tried some of the other settings, like vivid and theater modes. They brightened things, made it look a bit different, but still no improvement in artifacts. Then I noticed ‘game’ mode. I tried it, and this time when I switched mode, the screen blanked for second or so. And would you believe it, the artifacts all went away. The torture image no longer tortures my monitor. It is now perfect.

So there is the answer for this cheap TV. Use game mode on Hisense to get 1:1 therefore no 422 conversion loss. How cool! Thanks for heads up!

Uning Nikon 20 MP still mode to capture arifacts and show solution.

The problem. Note red and blue in particular. Now I am zoomed way in close on a tiny portion of the a 50" 4k screen, but still, its not right.

Now here is once I switched the ‘smart tv’ contoller into game mode: It is evidently 1:1 pass through with no colorspace conversion, hence minimal latency (for games!) And check out the improvement in image quality!

Thanks tmc4242!

BTW, the extra pixel dots you see are blooming on the camera, I think. They are not real. I could get a better shot, its just that it will take a million years for me to understand all of the Nikon craziness I am looking at in the massive manual for this new camera. Christmas is cool, but results in lots of device fiddling afterward…