Idea for the art opening - Pinewood Derby (3 styles normal, makerish and hellfire)

A Maker derby could get so out of hand so quickly it would be awesome.

2 Likes

Would this work for open house?

Can we have non flammable compressed gas motors?

non flammable … where is the fun in that?

1 Like

He just said “compressed” non-flammable. That leaves liquid and solid flammables available.

2 Likes

perfect - I hope to see a “bat mobile” style car with a live afterburner flame visible

1 Like

So that leaves solid fuel rocket motors then. Lol

1 Like

Sounds like fun…I think a track like the one used by the Nerdy Derby would be easy to make on the router http://nerdyderby.com/

2 Likes

RoboGreg - thanks for that link - that track would be great !

Alright lets just put some gas in the fire to get this done. I’ve been feeling like poo about getting things done at makerspace so I need a solid win here.

1. Who would like to work on make some concrete ideas/rules for this? @pinewoodnut @Nick
  2. I’m willing to front the money via CA with the bulk kits but I’m not sure people are interested in purchasing. If you want to pick up a kit (for I’m guessing $4ish after shipping is added) Please tell me yes and what type (wedge or block)
  3. @MellissaRhodes @Brandon_Green We need to make sure we have some space arranged during open house for this event- we had talked about the automotive area but I think we need to get that ironed out.

I’m now back in town for good. I’m teaching a summer camp during the day but I’m largely free.

2 Likes

Awesome,

The Messiah returns!!! I’m up for helping put together the rules. I’m also up for trying to source parts for making our own kits or just bulk buying. Either option works for me. I think we need to take this discussion offline to allow do-ocracy a chance. As there is a lot of excitement going in different directions on this thread. If we can get a small group of us willing to work, together we can guide this excitement to a feasible event. Rather than trying to claim leadership and this thread divulging into “my way”, “no my way”. We have lots of ideas for different classes of competition, we just need to make the decisions among those willing to organize and run this thing, so we can set the makers loose to break all the rules that we set. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope you’re not saying that of me. I don’t think that’s even close - I’ve really felt like a slacker towards Dms lately and I’m carrying around some guilt about it. I just know this place is dynamic and I like people having fun doing new things.

1 Like

I have purchased kits (both types) plus wheels and axels (added to get free shipping). They should arrive at my house by Friday and I will put them in bags. If rules are ironed out I will bring up the kits Saturday for open house. - if they aren’t I will make other arrangements.

Limited supply of course and a donation will be strongly encouraged to cover the cost of the kit.

More details later.

2 Likes

Cars are ordered
Rules are getting ironed out by Friday
Just getting confirmation on where the track will get situated

#####We also need to make sure that people who come also participate in the volunteering of the day - lots to do around DMS during open house and I want to assure that people are working to show off the space to the community#####

Rules are posted here: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/pine-car-derby-rules-and-information-september-17th/11165?u=uglyknees

2 Likes

Yes yes they do, our Cubmaster did one for our outlaw class race last year

Do you possibly have any pictures of the event? I think Dms people will come up with some crazy amazing cars and I simply can’t wait. Some of the chatter I’ve been overhearing has cracked me up.

I’ll search our private fb site to see if I can download some prior ones.and then I can upload them without tags into our ca fb page or here

I vote for pinewood semis.

1 Like

Mad Max class of cars.

1 Like