Idea for the art opening - Pinewood Derby (3 styles normal, makerish and hellfire)

So I’m not sure if I want to save this for the June opening of the 3D and Electronics show or for 10X10 opening but what do you guys think about doing a traditional pinewood derby (but two styles)

1st. Straight boyscout traditional rules but you are allowed to use your adult knowhow in the creation of this thing.
2nd. Makerspace rules: Almost anything goes except for no motors, no fire or fire source of any sort at all, no wrecking of others cars, no weight limit, no size limit but the same track as the 1st.
3rd hellfire: balls-to-the-wall and get-outta-the-way (outdoors of course)

Fun thing to do for a little makerspace party right?
Who votes June? who votes September (possibly during open house)?

This wasn’t my idea - it’s the brainchild of @Lampy son who is in fact one of the most interesting students I’ve ever had and I assure you I’m not saying that because I know him. I’m being genuine with my praise.*

*but doesn’t top the 4’5" tattoo artist who shot a bear in Russia at the age of 13 and has been traveling the globe for the last two years doing highend woodworking and throwing up graffiti professionally goes by the name Jesus.

9 Likes

I so want to be part if a Maker Pinewood Derby. I want shirts, badges, funny teams, all of it. What a great idea!

I think it would be fun to do the event and then display the cars as art for the month following. The classes I would suggest would be a supplied kit class with weight limit, you can’t use any parts not supplied in the kit (excluding paint) that way we have a even playing field for the truly competitive. Then a weight limited modified category you can use outside parts but you have to fit the weight limit. Followed by Mad Max category where there are no limits so we can have crazy funny art cars and car that could mess with other cars. I would suggest no drive motors period, they just ruin the fun in my opinion.

Love the idea! :blush: :blush: :blush:

2 Likes

Funny art cars with EL wire and headlights.

2 Likes

NO weight limits? @publius do you have some heavier metals than lead I can use? Some superconducting magnets in the track? What about solid rocket fuels?

1 Like

Tungsten is about 75% more dense than lead. That’s the heaviest you can go without breaking the bank (equal to gold or uranium, not quite as good as the platinum group). It’s virtually impossible to machine, but you can buy it in convenient size slugs for not too much money.
Superconducting magnets might be doable, with liquid nitrogen temperatures, but they behave in… very funny ways. Can’t recommend that. And I think the Fire Marshall would have kittens at the thought of attaching solid rocket motors to blocks of wood & firing them indoors.

3 Likes

Does an industrial rubber band count as a motor?

1 Like

Are you planning on igniting it?

1 Like

I can neither confirm nor deny

I did a series of cars a few years ago, started as an exhibition and ended with several commissions. A lot of fun, every part is made from wood.

7 Likes

ach
two
oh
two
:slight_smile:

1 Like

No.
NO
NO
NO
NO

And, if you didn’t catch me the first time, “that’s a negatory, Big Ben”.

So we don’t invite the fire marshall…

On the list of “people who don’t need an invitation”…

So can I put wheels on a block of lead or tungsten & the paint it knotty pine? Lol

2 Likes

round one - indoors on a standard track
round two - indoors on the same track
round three - out of doors far out of doors with extinguishers/eye protection/specific rules on where to stand/more stringent liability waivers apparently

PS I appreciate all the joy behind this idea…but not a single one of you answered my question - June or September?

##Yeah TL/DR by that point I was already

But, I vote September. Also, if we could get car kits out to people as soon as possible would be great as well. I’m willing to help and @dougemes has surely got his fair share of pinewood experience to help guide us.

1 Like

I’m glad it seems exciting to everyone.

http://www.scouting.org/training/adult/supplemental/pinewood.aspx

Here is a site with some interesting stock designs for pinewood derby shirts.
http://www.classb.com/t-shirts/designs/ideas/?p=1&s=popular-desc&d=all&i=all&c=pinewooderby

I personally like these styles:

Would be fun to give them a more makery feel, but the ideas and layouts are fun.

I might have to see how to do fluid dynamic simulations and buy some full ceramic bearings.

Magnetic bearings would be awesome