Idea for the art opening - Pinewood Derby (3 styles normal, makerish and hellfire)

Does the derby cars have to touch the track at all?

As long as it doesn’t move until the start pin drops, doesn’t hit any other “cars”, and crosses the finish line so it can trip the IR sensor in it’s lane on the timer…i guess it doesn’t have to touch the track.

I’ll be doing a derby this Sunday, so I’ll take fresh measurements then. We can put together some basic guidelines that make sense for the races and post them wherever you want.

1 Like

Pinewood Derby Kits

Do we want to supply them?

• If we supply the kits, do we want to build them or purchase them?

Personally, I’m PRO supplying the kits and charging some where is the $5 to $8 dollar range. I think this is the easiest way to allow for an even field for the competitive members among us. Now for the flashier contest with less rules I say do whatever. Also, having kits available will help involvement as we are taking away confusion as to what is acceptable and the options of vendors.

Now making kits or buying them is more of a question of cost savings,

The Official Boy Scout Kit is $3.99 before shipping.

Bulk wheels and axles run $1.95 each set before shipping

So not much of a savings, but looking on forums the bulk wheels are supposedly nicer than the ones that come with the kit. Holy crap, some people take this way to seriously. :smile:

Will be trying to design are car that exploits every loophole and interpretation of the rules. Car’s name will be “The Shyster”

4 Likes

Mine will be called The Panama Pinewoods

For races like this, I normally recommend going with the maximum-velocity kits, block or wedge. We can buy them in bulk and put together the kits ourselves. They just send a box filled with all the pieces to make the kits.

Bulk Block kits 12 cars - $37.44 ($3.12 ea) before shipping

Bulk Wedge kits 12 cars - $37.44 ($3.12 ea) before shipping

Either way, their axles/wheels are way better than the Boy Scout kits.

As for taking this too seriously, check these out: :scream:
Pinewood Derby Drag Racing
National Pinewood Derby Racing League
Performance Wheels
Mark Rober - Use Science to win Pinewood Derby
Pinewood Derby Physics Videos

1 Like

All of those seem to be using gravity as the only source of energy, am I right in assuming we want to have a class with no limit on energy source other than no intentional explosives / fire?

You could also call it the “Politician”

Gotta love that part…“not intentional”…

CO2 car class? I remember doing that in shop class in middle school.

1 Like

Sadly I am no longer a member of the space due to a few financial issues but I am a Cub Scout leader. We have a 6 lane aluminum track with a full fledged timing system and a crew of people that can run it. If you would be interested in renting it let me know and I’ll talk to the cub scoutmaster and see how much rental is. We could even have the Cubs helping with running it or a concessions stand. Our next race is a year away in April so we alphabet no plans to use it for the time being.

By the way, gravity only my son won 2nd last year and 1st the year before

3 Likes

So I’m finding out that there are a lot more practical and scientific techniques to making a pinewood derby car.

Of course a CO2 cartridge car will probably happen as well.

1 Like

Ducted fans and motor driven are also pretty cool

So I’ve contacted Hobby World to see if they would put together some sort of kit deal for us - they will be getting back to me and we can decided if this is a good idea.

Guys- this things is a go - it will be happening September 17th.
@Nick now you can get creative with some graphics.

Time to get thinking and planning. I will let you know what comes from it.

First things first: Who (and it should prob be 2-3 people) on this thread is willing to sit down (or virtually sit down) to come up with some serious non-negotiation rules for the first derby?
@pinewoodnut
@User3977

2 Likes

I’m in to help with rules.

2 Likes

Quatum mechanics - my pinewood derby car would be at the starting line and finish line at the same time.

1 Like

Then it would effectively not be racing and lose. That is a terrible design, unless you want to lose?

2 Likes

I really wanted to ask @uglyknees if a '94 chevy caprice could be used in the Mad Max category. Then I started thinking about it and decided, we should do a demolition derby at some point. :wink:

No no no! Haha but I love the spirit!

1 Like