Group buy VW fans?

Where to find 54 other peoples :grin:

1 Like

Now where do I find 55 well-maintained Subaru engines…

1 Like

I bet @TLAR will snap up the other 53.

No thanks, looks like most of them are “fat chick” models plus they are in or from Canada.

1 Like

they look like in terrible condition should be giving them away…

Since the moment this was posted, I’ve been trying to think of a clever way to highlight the double meaning of “VW fans” from the title, but this is all I’ve come up with…I think you have to take the rest of the bus, too, not just the fans, but at least most of these appear to be air cooled, which have much more interesting fans than the wasserboxers…

:neutral_face:

3 Likes

There is often a “divide” between the air cooled engine folks and the liquid cooled engine folks.

Subaru engines come with their own host of issues as a “swap”

1 Like

This is a good example of a person that either doesn’t want to sell and is being forced or just has hording issues. Sale is all or nothing, a $500 viewing fee, and the poor assurance that their all in “good restoration” condition despite the photos and that they’ve probably been rusting away for 20 years. What collector is going to suddenly appear and need 53 vehicles that they’ll need to spend thousands to haul off

2 Likes

That is smoking some good crack or has been watching too many unreality TV shows on how to turn a pile of rust into Barrett Jackson cash cow.

I’ve been to too many places like this in Texas, Arkansas, Okla, New Mexico and other states with a good friend that exports old VW Type 2 models to Europe. Many of the current property owners are the sons or relatives of the folks that started an independent Volkswagen repair service back when the air cooled models were ubiquitous (like dog shit - found everywhere), and yes, today’s yutes think that every rusting one sitting in the field is a “diamond in the rough”.
If I had a dollar for every time I’ve heard that line from a sub 30 year old twit that know zero about a car I’d be happier.

Want photos?

one pic from and old Ford wagon long trapped by the trees(I’m a wagon guy)
another of a mid 1960’s Type 2 we removed destined for England.

okla%20ford|690x388

2 Likes

Most of us would rather pony up for this, over the lot I would think.
Last of the aircooled 911s, in one of its final evolution

1 Like

Several years ago, I got a big bonus for my software engineering work. I decided to reward myself with a new 911. I went to the dealership, which used to be on 635 near I35, to test drive one. I was considerably thinner then, but still 6’9". Needless to say the 911 wasn’t a choice, since I had a hard enough time just getting into one.

The salesman tried to find a suitable Porsche for my size but ended up trying to persuade me to buy a boxer convertible. I lost my interest in a Porsche pretty quickly.

I had even planned to go to Europe to pick it up at the factory and drive it around before shipping it home.

They are beautiful cars and are well engineered, IMHO, but I ended up with a new Chevy truck instead. At least it had enough head room.

Still, the 1996 in the picture is a beautiful thing.

2 Likes

Bad move on his part. I would’ve offered you aftermarket Recaro “racing” seats that put the seat closer to the floor to give you more headroom and that “racier” feel. :smiley:

2 Likes

I am reminded of this commercial

Here’s the “behind the scenes” where this image comes from

demonstrating WHY (it’s @ the very end of the “real” commercial).

EDIT: whiiiich made me think of my buddy in college who was 6’mumble (I’m guessing about 6’7", because he was a forehead taller than my other buddy who claimed 6’3") and drove a Chevy Cavalier (with a stickshift, which I didn’t know they made up until then). He looked a LOT like this:

139 votes and 28 comments so far on Reddit

I rented a Fiat Uno in Italy in 1987. I was working for an Italian company at the time and they sent me to school to learn Linux which I already knew. Of course it was their unique port, so some things were different. It was a three month paid vacation at the base of the Italian Alps. The dollar was very strong against the lire, too.

It was a proverbial pregnant roller skate experience.

4 Likes

Neat little car. Got few interesting design details here and there across the whole car.