3D Fab Pre-Meeting Discussion

Our 3D Fab Committee Meeting is going to be held this coming Saturday (Jan 17th) from 3 PM - 4 PM.

What are some of the things y’all want to talk about?

It is going to be pretty informal (as noted in the above link); but, I wanted to create a post to allow members a chance to go over some of the things you might want to cover.

The two main things I want to discuss at the meeting are:

1. What are we going to do for the Big Open House coming up on the 24th?

• I would like to see some of our members’ best 3D printed items on display!
  • I would also like for some of the less impressive (i.e. “failed prints”) to NOT be on display. :wink:
  • I plan on purchasing one or two 4x4 shelving units from Ikea (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20275814); along with four or possibly more boxes (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80263766/) to use in them. My plan is to have at least two ‘boxes’ for small prints: One for “samples” to use for display that can be rotated; and, the other to use for “hand-outs” that we can give to visitors. If we have more than two, then they would be used to store less often used tools, etc… On top of one (or both) 4x4 shelves, I would like to have a small handful (less than a dozen) “sample” prints that people can easily reach and check out. A truly “hands-on” selection of prints (No more “almost good enough but honestly failed” prints… We need to put the good prints on display and either trash - or take home - the less than good stuff).
  • We probably need to move the big concrete table out of 3D Fab. At the very least for the Big Open House - so there is plenty of room for our visitors to move around and really see things comfortably. Likely permanently, since we will be building more smaller “butcher block top” tables for the printers. This is all open for discussion; but, those are my thoughts on the tables at the moment.
  • NINJA FLEX Prints! Yes, I know we don’t have a printer currently capable of printing Ninja Flex; but, I want to change that! I’m going to post a separate topic on it later; but, for now… I would really like to have some really good sample prints that members have printed using Ninja Flex to be on display. I would also like to have at least one printer at that 'Space for the Big Open House actually printing Ninja Flex! Who is ready and willing to bring their super awesome printer to the 'Space for this?!! :wink: :slight_smile:

2. Get the room clean up and ready!

• I still need to obtain the color code for our Orange Paint, so I can finish painting the wording above our door (and touch up the white spot on our orange wall - lol). I’ll work on that this week.
  • We need to clean the room (and keep it clean - not only for the event; but seriously… Most prints last plenty long enough to wipe down a shelf, or sweep up a corner! If everyone did just one thing ‘extra’ to clean or tidy up during each print, the room could easily be kept clean and tidy! Let’s have a little pride in our area!)

If we have time, we will touch on what we want to accomplish over the next few months - in particular what equipment do we want to try to get (either by purchasing or donations). What we don’t cover during this meeting, we will cover in future meetings. :slight_smile:

What else would YOU like to cover - either in this meeting and/or in future meetings?

Some Updates 'n Info:

From the Whiteboard:

Notices:

1. The laptops in the 3D Fab Room are for 3D Printing only. They are not powerful enough to design or slice on. Please use one of the design PCs (in 3D Fab or Arts), or your own computer, to design and slice your files.
  2. We still need help with building the new tables. There are going to be two more 4’ long tables (like the two already in there), plus we will have two 2’ long sections remaining to either build two (almost) square taller tables for the corners - or possibly some shelves or ??? Danny & Alex have volunteered to help. It would be really awesome if members of 3D Fab could pitch in and help, too!
    ([COMPLETED] More 3D Fab Tables need to be built)
  3. The power cables for the laptops don’t connect very well, so we could really use some type of clamp or something to secure the cords to the laptops better. We have a lot of members with really awesome design skills. I was hoping we could get someone to design a clamp or ??? that would hold the power cords firmly in place. If not, we can just go ‘old skool’ and use Duct Tape! (tho really… how awesome would it be to have a 3D Printed solution… in the 3D printer room! :wink: )
    (http://i.imgur.com/lxd83zQ.jpg)
  4. Please remember to clean up after yourself, and help keep the 3D Fab Room in general clean and tidy!

Suggestions Received:

1. Suggestion: Shadow box above each printer for tool storate (spatula, tweezers)
    Response: This is actually a good idea! We can discuss it during the meeting; and, if you are willing to help design/build something, I’m open to suggestions. Otherwise, we can continue to use the shelves in between the tables.
  2. Suggestion: Far Right Laptop PWR input conn seems to be intermittent.
    Response: See notice about needing clamps for loose power cords
  3. Suggestion: Need Slicer on Laptops or more than 1 or 2 computers.
    Response: As already mentioned in the notices, the laptops are not powerful enough to run the slicer software. However, the software is free (you can download it from PolyPrinter.com) and run it on your own computer/laptop - or use one of the other PCs available at the 'Space. We have one reliable design PC in 3D Fab; and, there are other PCs in Arts and even one in the Workshop Office used primarily for the Mill (but, can be used by others to design if/when needed). We are also open to accepting donations of better equipment! :slight_smile:
  4. Suggestion: Need hand vacuum (Dust Devil) for plastic scrap inside printers.
    Response: I have actually been looking into buying a mini shop vac. This is the one I’d like to get: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shop-Vac-1.5-Gal-Bagless-Vacuum-2012627/27872498. I’ll see if it’s still available at the local store. If not, I will order it as soon as it becomes available again. The reason I like this particular model is because it can be mounted to the wall, if desired; and, it has hoses and mini tools which I believe will work better than a typical handheld ‘dust vac’.
  5. Suggestion: Left laptop needs network… (It got rubbed off; but, I imagine it’s a suggestion to enable access to the file server from the laptop. It did have access when I configured it - as did the other two laptops. Network Discovery is “on”. We are researching the issue and will fix it as soon as we can. In the meantime, the USB ports are active on the laptops; and, there is a “Space Key” USB stick that can be used in the meantime.

… and then some:
Y’all may have noticed a small Dell PC tucked in one of the shelves. It’s only purpose is to run the webcams - which I will be configuring soon. It’s a really low end machine, so I would prefer it not being used for anything other than running the webcams (and, perhaps the sample ‘scheduler’ I have linked on it… More on that another day… :slight_smile: )

1 Like

UPDATE / CORRECTION: The 3D Fab Committee Meeting is scheduled this Saturday, January 17th, from 4 PM - 5 PM.