[COMPLETED] More 3D Fab Tables need to be built

We have two 6’ butcher block table tops and some already welded (but need to be modified) sets of legs available to make more tables for the 3D Fab Room.

I am looking for volunteers to help with:

• Finishing the table tops - like @AlexRhodes and company did with the first two table tops (see “linked” thread below regarding the first set that was built)…
  • Re-welding & finishing the legs - like Trent, @Derek_Davis, @SRichardson3D, etc… helped on the first two sets of legs…

I would really like for the tables to be completed at least a week before the Big Open House (that will be held on January 25th) - to ensure the 3D Fab Room is ready for the event!

The two tables built before were both 4’ long - which is what I had originally planned for the rest of the tables; however, as we have grown and our needs for space have changed, the specs for the tables should be re-evaluated.

We have three options basically.

1. The original plan: Cut 2’ off both butcher blocks, make two 4’ tables and two 2’ square tables to place in the corner - perhaps a touch taller than the 4’ tables

2. Alt plan A: Cut 2’ off one of the butcher blocks to end up with one each: 1x 2’ square table, 1x 4’ table, 1x 6’ table.

3. Alt plan B: Leave both table tops the full 6’, ending up with two longer 6’ tables.

If anyone has any suggestions / strong opinions on the sizes of tables we build, please post ASAP - as Alex has offered to cut them down to size on Thursday, if we know what we want by then.

Also, there are two additional butcher blocks for the Arts Room… So if anyone wants to pitch in and help with those, too, I’m sure @Haley_Moore would really appreciate it! :wink: :slight_smile:

Tagging the following so they are kept in the loop: @Robert_Davidson, @Danny, @themitch22, @AndrewLeCody… Anyone else wanna stay in the loop on this thread, please reply with how you want to volunteer to get these tables built! :wink: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Thanks, y’all!
Lisa
:smile:

Below is a link to the previous discussion regarding 3d Printer Tables that was created by Alex when he volunteered to work on the first set of table tops for us! (Thanks again Alex!) :

BTW… I’m positive I’ve left some people out… Not intentional - just getting old. Please know that I sincerely appreciate any/all help from everyone who does pitch in and help - on this project and any other ways that y’all have helped! We couldn’t have come as far as we have without all the time and energy put in by all who have pitched in so far (and plan on pitching in on this and future projects…).

Many many many thanks to all!!!
Lisa

If you wanted to go forward with original plan I will be there tomorrow morning and can get started.

1 Like

Hi @Danny… I haven’t heard anyone voice any other opinions, so that def works for me!

I know with the first two tables, a couple of the guys ended up cutting the depth of the tables a bit and re-welding them to fit the 4’ x approx 2’ table tops. Those tables are in the 3D Fab room if you wanna get a look at them.

With the current table tops, we could go that route, then have two sections left over that would be approx 2’ x almost '2 (they can be squared off or not - it’s not going to make too much difference in their use either way). I was initially thinking it would be nice to have the two smaller table tops be made into slightly taller tables that could be placed in the corner… However, as long as something “nice” gets built using them, the actual I am very flexible with (two square tables? one tall square table/shelf with two shelves? two square shelves secured directly (and somehow securely) on the wall? Halve each square and make four rectangles to have four shelves - either on the wall or built as a shelf unit?).

Since you are willing to get things rolling, just go with your gut feeling - as long as we ultimately end up with at least two tables 4’ or longer and make good use of what doesn’t end up a part of those two tables. :smile:

Thanks so much!!!
Lisa

Ok. Alex will be there for a little bit tomorrow morning as well so he may be able point some things out too.

1 Like

Awesome ~ Sounds great! Thanks @Danny & @AlexRhodes (and anyone/everyone who steps up to help!) !!!

:slight_smile:

Just a dumb question regarding finishing (and sorry if this was addressed already): What’s wrong with raw butcher block in a room where we routinely use knives to trim printed pieces? Seems like a functional asset to me.

1 Like

Raw butcher block will not last when people put their drinks down or anything gets spilled on the tops. They will ding faster and easier. Hard to clean as anything will stain them. Does 3d fab not have a cutting mat to put it on the cement table, if not I suggest picking one up from Joannas or Michaels.

-Alex

1 Like

Lisa sorry I wasn’t able to get to your tables today. Alex and I spent all of our time on the sandblaster. I’ll be back in the morning though to work on it.

1 Like

@Suzanne ~ Thanks for asking a good question that I’m sure others may have been curious about!

@AlexRhodes ~ Thanks for taking the time to answer/explain! BTW ~ Is there still enough in that can from the first set of 3D Fab tables to cover the new ones? I need to buy some more white primer and more white appliance paint for the new tables’ legs. I’ll probably pick it up Saturday, if not sooner.

@Danny ~ Thanks for the update! …and Thanks for working on the sand blaster!

Thanks again to Everyone who has and will be pitching in to get 'er all done! (The tables, other things in 3D Fab, and well everything at the 'Space in general! :smile: )

As long as we have the concrete table, that should be dedicated to cleaning up 3D printed parts, just so we aren’t damaging those butcher block tables.

Unfortunately, the concrete table may have to go in order to fit more tables in for printers 'n such. We can discuss it during the 3D Fab meeting next weekend. :smile:

@Danny (or anyone else interested in helping with the welding portion of making the tables) - what are the chances that I can sweet talk ya into welding some sort of hook or ??? to the frame of the tables - to allow us to secure the laptops directly to the tables (instead of wrapping the cables around the shelves lol).

Something like an eye hook for simplicity or the doodad in the second link (not sure what it’s called, sorry)

Eye hook to use to thread the cable through:

or doodad to thread cable through:

Thanks!
:blush:

I’ll be up there this week and see what I can do.

1 Like

Awesome ~ Thanks @Danny!

Just a thought, but I was thinking that we should be looking into stacking some of these printers. Room is getting tight and I don’t think we can expand very far with one table to one printer. We definitely need more abs printers at this point as the traffic in this room is increasing.
I would suggest using server cabinets either open or closed style with shelves that could roll the printers out when changing filaments or retrieving finished products. The cabinets are typically heavy but bolting them to the floor would make it even more secure. if you used the very bottom of the cabinets for computers and then place one printer at chair level and another one at standing height with a monitor at the top and computer switch to flip between computers and printers. Compressing it this way could have as many as 8 printers the size of the poly printers in the same space that two printers are taking up now.

I have heard suggestions about a bot-farm type setup. While it would be cool to have 8 x Polyprinters, we barely were able to get funding for a third one. We only have 3 Polyprinters, and hopefully 1-2 more this year (that’s the plan with this RepRap build class) We still have plenty of room on tables bordering the room.

BTW, I’ve been asking around for who’s available to cut and weld the frames and haven’t got a commitment. If I just had someone show me how to setup the mig/tig machine I could probably figure it out. Alex was finishing the wood tops last time I checked so I think they’re just waiting to be built. Whenever I have more time I’ll try to get these tables going. If anyone is at the space tonight I’ll be there maybe we can knock out the frames quickly, I’ll finish them.

YAY ~ We have more tables!!!

I would like to extend thanks to everyone who pitched in to help along the way; and, a big thanks to Justin (@ke5bud) for taking lead on making sure they got finished!!! :smiley:

… and, finally a thanks to his helpers today - getting the tables set up in their new spot! (Sorry, I was so excited to know the tables were done, I forgot to ask him who all helped… Your helping hand is much appreciated, though!)

3 Likes