Zing laser maintenance?

Has anyone tried using the zing lately? It doesn’t seem to be focusing, no matter how much I adjust the z-axis. bad burn marks and very little vector cut depth. raster is pretty bad too. I’m using the same settings I’ve had success with in the past, so I know those are not the problem…

Make sure the focus tip hasn’t come unscrewed again

ya I’ve checked all of that. tried it all the way screwed in, partly screwed in, hanging by a couple of threads. everything comes out about the same

I will try to take a look when I get to the space later. I’m kind of out of ideas at the moment

When I was restoring tortillas it seemed to be a bit strange but I felt it was the tortillas. That was Sunday morning.

Corn or flour? :slight_smile:

Can’t test the zing. The blower is dead for the zing and saur. Both will be offline until a new blower is installed.

Ok, does the space have those in stock or will it be a while until the lasers are operational again?

If the motor can be detached then it may be in stock over at Grainger for a quick pickup.

None in backup. Might be a day or two.

Harbor freight blower. Not sure if it was part of a larger set that we just pulled the blower off of.

@TLAR suggested we ask @TBJK if he might have a squirrel cage fan we could use for pulling air instead of a horrid fright replacement again.

I would highly recommend going to a squirrel cage blower. They are very readily available, inexpensive and reliable. We would need to know what kind of cfm we need. I would also say we should get a new one. I probably have some laying around my shop but do not know the integrity of them. Looking at Grainger, they have many available today. Also I can check with another vendor of mine who is not far from the space for additional pricing but we need specs

Ultimately it is @merissa call since she is the current chair.

2 Likes

@lukeiamyourfather might know the specs needed.

The blowers we’ve used in the past are around 1500 CFM.

This is exactly what I suggested to Pearce last night at the Space!
(also said Tim was the guy to ask)

We have been buying Horror Fraught dust collector systems fairly cheap and getting surprising service life out of them. I think this one is over a year old. The one thing they have over a squirrel cage, is that nothing that gets sucked out of the laser workspace is going to hurt them. When we changed over from the grizzley blower that died, we found a foam core wing partly obscuring the ductwork from the FSL. If that, or some balsa, or maybe some thin ply had made it to the impeller, it wouldn’t have hurt it at all. Not so sure about most squirrel cages.

1 Like

It would likely be out of balance & be heard. Chicken wire or smaller mesh would be a nice safety factor in any case.

2 Likes

“hardware” cloth is readily available at “real” hardware stores and possibly Tractor Supply, and is very economical.
It is a welded wire material available in several sizes - 1/4", 1/2" etc (square openings in the mesh). The material is very handy for screening debris etc, and doesn’t require anything special to cut etc - i.e. it isn’t rocket science.

1 Like

That’s the name I was looking for. I couldn’t place it at the time.

Slices like butter with an oxy torch or a plasma, but can totally be cut with a cutoff wheel.

Also, if we’re going to put in a hardware cloth screen, we should likely step up the fan assembly to 1800 CFM or so.