YInMn Results - positive and negative - photo dump

I was thinking of trying to inlay it on some turning projects (ring, bottle stopper, pen - something in that vein).

1 Like

Love it!
I’ll reach out once the second batch is made.

1 Like

I would like to try it as a resin inlay pigment for some wood project yet to be determined, no rush, I can be part of batch 3 or 4 if needed, I have plenty of other projects keeping me busy for a while.

I saw @Kriskat30 resin art last night in person and can confirm this is a pretty awesome blue!

3 Likes

I would like to get in on this awesome opportunity. I also do resin jewelry and think this would be an awesome color.

1 Like

Awesome - and it goes with your name. Ok I’ll keep you in on the loop!

This seemed like a silly question to me, and I am unclear if you are kidding or not, being that YlnMnO has been on TALK for a while now, with some fair bit of chatter:

but it got me wondering “What if this were serious? How would someone find out what this is all about if this really were their first encounter with YlnMnO?”
Well…
Interestingly, if you enter this term into the TALK search, you get…crickets…most of the time. Sometimes, you will get one of these 2 threads.
Well, then. What about Google?
Crickets.
Not a single hit of interest, including TALK, which tends to be indexed to the googlers most expeditiously.

even if you specify this page

Huh.
Wonder what it is about that search which appears to me to just break search engines…

If you leave off the O at the end… you will be googlically rewarded.

5 Likes

But then only for articles referring the this pigment’s discovery, and still nothing about TALK, what the science committee @ DMS is going, etc. (unlike most threads on TALK which are assimilated into google returns almost telepathically,it seems).

And that doesn’t work on the TALK search, either, which leads right back to my ponderings…

TALK usually pulls up returns based on partials:

but not for this:

Sound like fun. I’ll be glad to use it in the Paper marbling class in January.

1 Like

Uhm, is it a paint color?

1 Like

Google told me nothing and just seemed to refer back to talk.

1 Like

It’s a pigment.
So, at the risk of oversimplifying (because I’m not that driven to be scientific nor artistically “correct”) it is the solid pieces which cause anything to appear a certain color, in this case, bright blue. It could be the pigment in paint which causes the painted thing to appear bright blue one the paint carriers dissipate.
Or it could be included into glass to give it a bright blue appearance.
Or…well, that’s kind of the point of this whole adventure, I think, is for the Science Committee to manufacture the pigment (and teach others how to do it, how it’s done, the Science behind the discover and manufacture of it) and then encourage all the members @ Makerspace to incorporate it into anything that could use bright blue pigment. This thread is intended for the photos of such projects, if I understand correctly.

It is a color then.
I’ll volunteer to take photos of the stuff made with it when I drop by the space.
Can a photo of the pigment be counted as making stuff with it? :smiley:

2 Likes

No, not quite.
It is the substance which creates the perception of color.
Iron Oxide is another pigment. It is not the color red, but creates the perception of the color red when incorporated into {anything using iron oxide pigment}.

I say yes, but then who am I to say…

Color ingredient. :smiley:

4 Likes

So February… after Valentine’s Day? The 28th?

Let’s set the due date by 18th that way I can get the show hung that week and we will do a little blue gala on the 24th.

1 Like

Blue Gala 2?

2(point)Oh for sure!

I too found that a Google search failed. “YInMnO” does not seem to exist as a proper chemical formula.

It’s “Yttrium Indium Manganese Oxide”. Most forms of Manganese Oxide would be written as MnO2 [where the 2 is a subscript]. The proper name for MnO2 is Manganese Dioxide.

If the YInMnO is an alloy or mixture, then the 4 elements may not be combined chemically.

I found that a new blue pigment was discovered and patented in 2009. It is called “YInMn Blue”. You can find information about it at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YInMn_Blue

It is available commercially.

2 Likes