WTB: MakerSpace Happenings -- The Executive Summary

So in that “life happens” sort of way, I’ve had to be away for… oh, month, month and a half?

Not looking forward to wading through 90 days of Talk posts (aka already spent 30 minutes on here trying and I’m barely 2 weeks in, so that clearly isn’t a particularly viable way to go about it); if anyone wants to suggest the best way to catch up on any notable events or changes I’ve missed in that time, I’m open to options. (Perhaps instead of “the best way” I should say “a good way?” On one hand, encourages more ideas; on the other, saves me from reading “check committee minutes” a dozen times…) :wink:

1 Like

I think there’s a way to get a regular (daily? weekly?) digest of (hot?) topics emailed to you. Check your profile setting options…

2 Likes

As I type this, there are eight of us here in the Common Room catching Allen up on the past several months…

Shame I missed that! Though I caught Allen himself that evening. Regardless, I can’t imagine 8-member huddles are a sustainable model for catching members up on any information they’ve missed in their absence… :slight_smile:

@Kriskat30 was mentioning that she was planning on having some sort of “news feed” type of thing set up, that (far as I understood it) would be a one-way announcement-type thing for just “news” – as in no questions, no opinion statements or debate topics, just the Evening News for the MakerSpace with whatever specific items of interest had occurred. X shelf has been moved to make space for the new Y, you can find the old stuff at Z; the rules on using A have changed slightly; Such and Such Committee meetings are moving from Mondays to Tuesdays; add-on members who live in your apartment but aren’t family will now be criminally prosecuted and subject to jail time… you know, just the highlights. ( :wink: )

That last bit of jest aside, I think it’s a great idea.

Turns out I had that option checked already! – but it seems (and with a little thought it does seem a bit obvious) that the most directly informative, “newsy” posts are never actually particularly popular, at least as far as activity and number of replies goes. The controversial ones, however, do great on that metric. So the profile setting serves as a really good way to keep up with Days of Our MakerSpace Lives (insert Michael Jackson Eating Popcorn meme here), but not a particularly good way to keep up with the “boring” news that actually affects how well we could use the 'Space.

Like I said – I dig Kris’ “news feed” idea.

good idea but who will put out the news items. It any member can do it - it will quickly degenerate into TALK type sniping without any direct control. Just my 2 pennies worth.

Well, it’s her idea, of course, but if I had my druthers it’d be primarily the committee chairs, with I’m sure a few other folks on that list as would be administratively needed.