Writing Meetup on 6/24 at 6:30 pm

Hey folks,

Just want to spread the word that I’ll be hosting a Writing Meetup on Thursday 6/24 at 6:30 pm. Here’s a link to the event: https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/16798

Come meet other writers at Dallas Makerspace! We will discuss writing, publishing, and our personal goals regarding both.

As this is our first meeting, the main goal will be getting to know one another and what we’re looking to achieve as writers, but as time goes on, we will be tackling more specialized topics and techniques.

I’m excited to see you folks there! It should be a blast.

Page

8 Likes

P.S. Snacks welcomed! I am planning on bringing some to share with folks since it’s so close to dinnertime. And also yay snacks. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@rampage thanks for setting this up. I’m interested in talking with editors. I have some nonfiction how-to stuff I’d like to publish on KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing), but would like someone to look at it first. Is this something we might be able to source?

I will be there, but I will be running a little late. I have a class before that. My husband will be there though, so he can take any notes.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Holly,

This is something we can discuss at the meetup. Depending on the length of the work, your project might be beyond the scope of standard workshopping, but you might be able to meet someone looking for the same service who would be willing to do a manuscript exchange and reciprocal editing, etc.

As a note, we will not be doing any formal workshopping at this first meetup, but I do have some ideas of how to format that process for the group. The optimal format for it hinges upon the general goals and size of the group so I do truly want to meet everyone first and then implement structure.

But I do like that you are thinking ahead.

Page

1 Like

Wonderful! Looking forward to meeting you.

Hi Page,

It’s definitely beyond the scope of getting it edited for free. I’m hoping I can find out who to hire, that’s what I meant. It’s much too big of an ask to expect it to be a volunteer project.

Thanks!

Holly

1 Like

Ah, I see! Oh good. Yes, it can be daunting figuring out how to find and hire the right professional editor for a project (and for you). That’s definitely something we can discuss and see if folks have specific recommendations.

With everything changing so quickly in writing and publishing these days, there’s no better tool than networking with and learning from other writers.

Especially when it comes to something like this.

1 Like

I would love to join. Hopefully there will be more weekend classes.

1 Like

Glad to hear. I will certainly keep that in mind.

I just wanted to write a quick public note to thank everyone who attended our meeting last night. It was a great session, and I really enjoyed getting to meet you and get to know you better as writers. I feel like we made important strides towards establishing our ongoing group format.

I have some work I’m doing on the back end, like we discussed in the session, to loop everyone in and make ongoing communication between our meetings a breeze.

For those of you who weren’t able to attend, we will be meeting again in 2 weeks on July 8 at 6:30 pm (that event will be popping up on the calendar in the next few days).

I’m going to be sending out some further communication here privately to group members, so if you weren’t able to attend but would like to be contacted, feel free to PM me with your email address and anything else that would be helpful to know (what you would like to get out of the writing group, etc.).

Thanks,

Page

3 Likes

I’m interested in this group :grin:

2 Likes