Would something like this be possible?

Hi, I am planning on moving out of my art studio space in Richardson at the end of the month downsizing to a storage space. Storage spaces generally don’t allow tenants to use the storage space as a workshop but it varies from place to place. I am still looking around trying to find one that would permit this and considering my options.

I am wondering if I could temporarily lend/ donate some of my equipment to the space.I have an Anet A8 Plus 3d printer, a Cricut Explore Air 2, A 12x15 Heat Press Machine with various attachments, and a K40 Laser cutter (which is in need of a new laser tube).

I don’t have any issues with others using my equipment as long as I could take the equipment back at some point (only in the event of moving to another city or similar, unlikely circumstances). Ideally I would temporarily donate these machines and be able to operate them out of the makerspace while keeping the rest of the art pieces and materials in the storage unit.

1 Like

That usually depends on the chair of the department, sometimes up to the board level depending on the cost of the materials/ items involved.

From past experience this is generally something we try to avoid though (temporary donations/loans), because figuring out how to handle it if another member accidentally breaks it and so on gets very challenging.

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know. Would buying storage space or some sort of locker at the makerpace be an option?

1 Like

No. We’ve got 30 day storage in Project Storage (if there’s room), and a small bin you can pay $20 (one time for your membership).

CubeSmart on Luna is pretty close. For that matter, there’s U-Haul storage on the southbound 35E service road, just before Valwood. If I remember correctly, they’ve got 24 hr access. No idea if they have units available, though. It looks small.

1 Like

Self-storage places in the vicinity of DMS I’m aware of:

• Public Storage
    • Northbound 35E, north of Valwood
    • 09:00 -21:00 storage access
    • DMS used them in the past; kinda not fun to deal with due to tight arrangement
  • UHaul
    • Southbound 35E, north of Valwood
    • 24hr access
    • Area is gonna be … exciting … with 35E expansion ongoing
  • CubeSmart
    • Valwood & Valley View
    • 06:00 - 22:00 access
    • DMS used to deal with them before the transition to Cube Smart; easier to deal with and access than Public Storage
2 Likes