Would anybody be so kind as to give me a HAAS Refresher?

Nick’s class (which I took twice) didn’t cover making new tool entries in the library. When was this started to be included?

I should have been more clear I wasn’t talking about the tool library, you don’t really need a tool to be in the library to use it. I was talking about the machine side of things. Adding it to the tool changer, setting up offsets, checking the offsets etc. That should have been covered.

Adding tools to the tool changer and setting offsets was covered. I just did not add one, myself, for use, so I’m not comfortable saying I’m experienced with it.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why I was saying you either haven’t taken the class or have forgotten it. You remember the process for the drill chuck for the pips on the Domino? Adding a tool to the changer is exactly that process.

I was able to log in before, but I have had to get a new fob. There was some problem with my makerspace account and fob (older, bigger, but thinner blue one) when Paypal stopped working to pay for the dues.

Someone will have to edit the users file for the HAAS. There was an issue connecting to the beagle bone remotely so I don’t know if that is still a problem. @TBJK or @procterc would know best.

That would be perfectly fine I would be more than happy to. I guess I need to get ahold of nick. 1st things first on my refresher would be to know and refresh you how to do your machine walk over coolant level, filter is clean and prime the way pump. Next would be using a wobble edge finder to set your x and u coordinates, and touch off block to set your g54. After you grasped and retained that being able to write a small gcode script to double check your g54 is set to where you think it’s set. Then you get to use the hiemer. And use a 123 block to use the helmer to set your g54. Then verify your g54 offsets with an edge finder. Usually this is the time find out that the helmet is not reading the same as the wobble edge finder and whoever replaced the tip last didn’t adjust the concentricity on the new tip. Which if you trusted the heimer without checking that it’s perfect would put holes on any second operation off. After you grasp this the I’ll watch you make a gcode for a simple cube. Make sure your part coordinates zeros are correct in the model. And your stock is modeled the same as your raw stock. Now we check the generated gcode and at the starting script look for our max depth and make sure that’s never gonna go to the height of the vice vs the top of the stock. Drill bits are a little different but can go over that.
Now we verify our tools are in the correct pockets and the condition of them. Verify their off sets. Verify our G54 especially our Z zero. Start our gcode very slowly with our finger of feed stop or estop whichever you feel verify our pause above the part. Blah blah blah. Now my son is tapping me on the shoulder and I can’t finish this. I’m sure I forgot a few steps. Vice jaw parallel, yep.

Just email me and we can try to get this worked out. I would like to be up there on the haas on Monday. I need to get ahold of Nick I guess first.
Does anyone have his email address.

1 Like

Wow trying to play with my son and type that I made so many typing errors. I sounded like an idiot. Sorry

He’s on talk frequently. You can PM him at @nicksilva.

You are forgetting one of the most important processes of operating a new program. The G52 offset to cut air.

I’d be happy to teach you setting up new tools and such, but I remember the 2 part class that Nick taught definitely covered setting up tools and how to measure tool offsets. As part of the domino evaluation, he had you put a drill into a chuck and measure the tool offsets.

1 Like