Working with Carbon Fiber and ABS

Hello guys!

I am taking on a new project for my car and I’m planning to work with Carbon fiber weave and ABS sheets as well as wood.

Is there a designated area I am able to work with these material at or is just a big space good enough? My plan is to use the big area next to the automotive section where there are a bunch of tables.

Does anyone have any experience working with Carbon weave that wouldn’t mind answering any questions I have along the way?

Also, do I need any training to be able to use the woodworking tools and area?

@Josh_Melnick used to do some carbon fiber work, and used to run our science area. He may be able to provide some insights for how to get started. Also probably talk to the plastics group in machine shop

Thank you, I’ll ask around!

We do not allow in Machine Shop/Plastics machining of carbon fiber. You can do almost everything else. We do not have adequate dust extraction for carbon fiber or the equipment sealed enough to machine it.

3 Likes

General workspace is fine for most activities. Be aware that the area you mentioned is being renovated and so constantly in flux, stuff may move.

Core (free-standing) woodworking tools require safety training. Usually run a few times a month, check the calendar and talk.

What questions do you have about CF? There’s a few of us around who work with it from time to time.

Basic CF FAQ:

• Cheapest place to buy 2x2 3k twill? Sollercomposites
  • Epoxy vs Polyester resin? Epoxy is more expensive, but significantly, significantly less smelly. Since you’re in a common workspace, using epoxy would be considerate if it’s acceptable in the composite.
  • Best epoxy? I like Total Boat or west systems. Don’t use the same epoxy that woodworkers use for tables, there’s lots of those available now but they don’t work well IME in the composite world.
  • Vacuum bag or open air process or infusion? They all work. We have a vacuum pump in creative arts, you’ll need to bring your own hose and 3/8" air hose quick connect. If you’re infusing, use a catch pot. Or if you epoxy the pump be prepared to pay to replace it.
  • Cheapest vacuum bagging materials? US composites. In general they have a good selection of consumables that I use. Also their PVA Mold release is cheap and consistent. If you want better get frekote.
  • Cutting composites? Dremel with a diamond rotary bit. Clean up after yourself. Wear long sleeves and a mask. Buy a 3pack of cheap scissors from amazon to treat as single use for when working with the wet fiber.
  • Cutting raw fiber? Get a rotary cutting tool. Less than $20 on amazon.
  • That’s a lot of consumables? There’s a lot of consumables that go with composites that the space doesn’t provide, so expect to spend some money to get into the hobby.
  • Can I make X? Probably. Good composite parts are 95% prep, 4% process, 1% post process. Expect to experiment a lot on small pieces before you go for the big piece so you can learn what not to do cheaply. If you have a specific part in mind ask around and we can give you some thoughts. There’s all sorts of considerations and strategies like mold draft and double bagging that people can advise you on.
3 Likes

Would I be able to use scissors to trim the weave or nothing at all I can do to trim the weave?

What a jackpot of a response, thank you!

Scissors are fine. We just don’t want the particles airborne. So cutting/carving/machining that creates fine dust is banned.

1 Like

Ahh okay thanks!