Woodwork project

Hi, could I bring a project and have someone’s support and guidance to build it myself? I built my own table project years ago at a woodworking shop in California but would need somebody to guide me.

1 Like

Yea I’d be happy to team up and offer any knowledge or tips or ideas I know how, most the stuff I build is more done through creative inspiration so that’s be my strong suite but planed and designed is something I can help with too

2 Likes

Msg me with what you’re general ideas or end results you are wanting to shoot for and what times you’d wanna meet up

Thanks Chris! I have to double check the measurements, calculate the wood needed and purchase it. I will send you a msg, maybe we can meet to discuss before I purchase it

Soooo… are you a member? Generally speaking, our machines are only available for members.

$60/month. No contract. And for you to use the machines you’d need to have taken the Woodshop Basics class.

1 Like

I am not a member yet but I am aware of it. Just wanted to make sure I could build my own project there. I wasn’t aware of the woodworking basic course as a requirement but I’ll keep an eye for new courses opening this year (the ones listed are full already)

1 Like

Keep looking every day. They’re opening more, but they’re small so they fill fast.

If you are new to woodworking, make sure you talk to the person that will help you before buying the wood. You wanna buy the rough cut lumber and not the clean looking one from home depot if you want to save $$.

1 Like

Welcome to DMS

Will do, thank you all! I hope I can build my project this year

2 Likes

So hardwood lumber is the only place to go, back when I first started and had never been in a lumber yard before, they were so helpful and didn’t make me feel like I shouldn’t be in there just to buy one board, they made me feel confident that has since always given me confidence to build or try to build anything I want to, my experience there was such that I’ve never been to another lumber yard and don’t care to ever go, hardwood lumberx100 oh and generally buy 10-15% more wood than you need cause along the way a couple cuts or thing will need to be recut so it’s better to plan Over than under

That’s where I would go, I’ve been there before and liked it. Thanks for the info, I’ll buy 10-15% more.

Sylvia

Hi @Petunia,

Just to echo a few things from above: Welcome to our forums and welcome to the ‘Space. If I read your original post correctly, you want to make this project yourself, just with a little help and guidance. So far so good, then. Examples: you come in, show somebody something and they say “hmmm…do this and this and this” and you take it home and do that and that and that, then fine. Or you have a sheet of plywood 8’ x 4’ and you want it cut to 4 2’ x 4’ pieces and someone is willing to do that for you here, then fine.

But if you want to do a significant portion of the making yourself here at the 'Space…well, any, really work on it yourself, you will need to be a member for the duration (as far as I can tell you have not signed up?). You can do that ahead of time here:

https://dallasmakerspace.org/join/

Mandated Government Warning: “being a member here may be addictive and take up all of your spare time.” Whew…got the legal stuff out fo the way.

Seeya soon (we hope)…

1 Like

Hi, I will become a member because there are several projects I want to build myself with somebody’s guidance and I want to build them at the Marker Space. I want to bring home the finish product (with maybe some assembly needed at home). I know it can be addicted…nothing like the smell of fresh cut lumber