WOODSHOP WILL OPEN AT 7PM tonight, 9/1

The felder is currently down due to an unknown issue. Without the felder the following tools cannot be used:

Table saws
Miter saw
All sanders (except spindle)
All Bandsaws
Jointer
Planer

All above tools have been unplugged and marked out of service. Do not plug tools back in and use tools until Felder issue is resolved.

In order to keep threads consolidated, updates on the felder will be managed on @hon1nbo ‘s issue thread: https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/t/woodshop-dust-system-felder-down-20200829/74498?u=ianlee

The following tools will remain up at this time:
Lathes
Spindle sander (with the use of the floor vacuum)
Drill press
Hand sanders (with use of floor vacuum)
Scroll saw
Multicam (with the use of a canister floor Vacuum following the machine head)

@Team_Moderators please pin until further notice.

6 Likes

@ScienceElf just want you to be aware of the situation, you may need to have a plan to reschedule your class on Tuesday.

We will know Monday AM when the tech from Felder will be in.

I don’t need to use it so don’t really care one way or the other, but chasing the Multicam with a canister vacuum is totally doable and I do it all the time so I can avoid having the dust shoe obscure my work…

4 Likes

Same with @cvrana, who has a class that will appear on schedule tomorrow p.m. for this next Saturday…based on all info at hand I’d be willing to bet that Felder will be back in operation by then, but…TIDMS. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll keep an eye on it.

Will someone post here what the tech says come Monday so I can know to cancel or not?

1 Like

I will be in on Monday morning and will work with the Felder repairman. I will keep everybody posted on the situation.

On Saturday I upgraded the electrical service for the Felder Dust Collector from 30A to 50A service so that should no longer be an issue. Also, on Saturday volunteers cleaned the entire Felder which was internally packed with saw dust.

13 Likes

Tech will not be in today.

Currently planned to come In on the 10th.

Alright. In that case I’ll need to cancel my class. Thanks for the heads up

When is your class?

Never mind, I checked the Calendar & noticed it was this evening at 7.

Update: Felder tech just called me and will arrive at the space between 12 and 1 today.

3 Likes

That’s @ScienceElf’s class. I assume he’s aware? And/or those signed up for class are following this discussion?

Based off discussion with Multicam users, if members would like to CNC small projects and carefully follow the machine head using a floor canister vacuum, they may use the CNC.

Members must use dust collection while using the CNC. Use of the Multicam without a vacuum of some sort is not permitted.

Please also be meticulous about cleaning the area around the machine.

2 Likes

I just came from the Woodshop. Rich made it pretty clear that ALL of the Woodshop machines that use the Felder for dust collection–including the Multicam–are down and will remain so until we get the Felder situation sorted. I’m sure he’ll be giving us an update this evening.

On another note: I see the guy that was cutting the big sheets of 3/4" MDF on Saturday was nice enough to leave all of his scrap behind, leaning up against the pony wall shared with the Jet lathes. :unamused:

Thanks. I haven’t had an opportunity to talk to Rich since I made that call. I’ll let him know.

1 Like

Wood shop will open tonight at 7pm.

The issues with the Felder have not been completely resolved however the machine is at an acceptable level that we can open the shop tonight.

The Felder may need to be taken offline during the day for a few hours at some point in the near future.

If you happen to be here during the time it is down, please be patient with us as we work to make sure the shop is the safest it can be.

Thanks to everyone who helped on this issue, particularly @richmeyer @pjolone1 @hon1nbo.

Thanks to the general membership who complied with the shop’s unexpected closing.

@Team_Moderators please unpin Tomorrow (9/2) morning.

14 Likes

Thank you for the update

1 Like

What did the tech do and what is the plan for a more permanent fix?

1 Like

Tech did a full wiring check and verified that all parts were functioning as expected. No issues found in internal system.

Over-amp issue was attributed to heavily clogged filters causing the motor to work overtime.

Resolution is to prevent extensive dust build up in the future by scheduling regular clean-outs of the dust collector.

With the understanding of that issue resolved we are able to re-open.

Other issues we found were not related to the tech but rather original infrastructure install. Those are what we’re working to resolve now, and will involve minimal downtime over the coming days.

1 Like

I remember being told that part of the issue was the size of the ductwork going into the felder. I am wondering if there’s a way we can temporarily increase it, or at least gradually reduce it, Rather than the current sudden change from what looks like 8 in to 15 in at the felder itself

1 Like