Woodshop new high of 95.84 degrees

Have you seen what the interior of the laser computers have looked like just with the woodshop doors propped open occasionally? Why should other committees incur extra repair costs from dust damage? What about those with sensitivities to wood dust? (Allergies, asthma, COPD, etc.) Are we going to force them to wear a respirator to work on their cars?

1 Like

The filters might need changing but thatā€™s a moot point. The vacuum pump alone would need 5+ tons to cool let alone everything else running in there. Industrial machinery and air conditioning donā€™t mix good.

1 Like

Rapidly cycling 1phase motors after a thermal overload absolutely will kill the capacitors. 1Ph Motor caps donā€™t dissipate heat quickly enough to be handled this way. Some woodshops are AC, some arenā€™t - but the ones that arenā€™t, are running 100% 3-phase motors, and no electronic controllers worth mentioning.

One or more of these would help pull out the dust?

http://www2.donaldson.com/torit/en-us/pages/products/cyclonedustcollectors.aspx

1 Like

Is it this unlabeled one? There is no 9

1 Like

And do I need a tool

1 Like

The dust would settle in the woodshop. There may be some carryover, but as long as the velocities are right it should be good. Itā€™s all about the balance of the system, I can bring an airflow hood to check our CFM. Iā€™d be willing to bet that filter system is excess of 30k, plus it takes up valuable room. Iā€™d be curious as to how much he replacement filters would be.

Itā€™s not that one. Itā€™s mostly gray in color, and bigger. Iā€™ll look for photos I might have taken.

Are we sure itā€™s #9? I would look for photos you have taken but I have no idea how

Thatā€™s our guy. Itā€™ll be SUPER obvious when you open it by the way :smile:

2 Likes

Ok, Iā€™m on my way back up

2 Likes

Switch on the left/back side of the unit in photo should be shut off when you have it open etc. Just remember to power it back up when done.

Getting filters up the ladder can be tricky. I left some cheap phone line up there tied to the ladder which Iā€™ve used to lift them up before if that helps.

Youā€™ll need a small socket for the screws on it too. If I remember correctly, 5/16". Take a small set though.

1 Like

Found it

7 Likes

Thatā€™s that obvious part I was talking about :slight_smile:

Iā€™m guessing youā€™ll have to let that thaw before you can even get those out. Calling my broker now to put all my money in ceiling tilesā€¦

3 Likes

Is that ice?

Or a freaky dust sedimentary formation?

Solid ice. I have lots of similar photos, but Iā€™ve never seen it THAT bad.

Wow.

Alrighty then!

Icepick time.

Worst Iā€™ve seen previously. At least you can see the brown dust poking thru the ice :slight_smile:

Ice picks and refrigerant coils ā€¦ that should rival Kenā€™s 1st batch of ice scream. Please film.

On a more serious note: couldnā€™t we install an el cheapo web cam with an LED light so it could be monitored remotely avoiding climbing up to look? Wouldnā€™t fix problem but would help in filter change out detection.

3 Likes

How about a manometer comparing the two sides of the filter? just run small lines down to the shop and when the gauge gets to the ā€˜redā€™ someone runs up and changes the filter.

Edit: you could even run the lines down the AC ducting to avoid putting new holes in the roof

2 Likes