Woodshop new high of 95.84 degrees

What about hanging a couple of these from the ceiling?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200450941_200450941

They would catch a lot of the airborne dust before it makes its way into the AC filter, so someone wouldn’t have to go on the roof as often.

My best friend has one of these in his home workshop. It works pretty darn good. But we’d need a lot of them, we’d overwhelm the small filter really fast.

There are two already deployed and a 3rd still in a box.

I gather that the filters are proprietary and expensive, thus the air cleaners are not often used. I believe that Alex or Brian Davis mentioned to me some months ago that with a surprisingly small minimum purchase quantity some firm can custom-make filters for us in almost any size imaginable - perhaps this solution should be investigated.

FWIW, OEM versions are not cheap. They seem to be about a half inch smaller in each dimension than labeled as well, which causes the generics to be a PITA to install (lots of pushing and bowing).

We have two if the smaller Grizzly versions of those, and my boss ordered 2 cases of custom filters because it was so much cheaper than getting the OEM ones from a local place…

1 Like

I will be amazed if we don’t end up with a coil leak. That’s a lot of ice. I’m also amazed we haven’t lost a compressor yet.

3 Likes

Jesus! I almost crapped my pants!

The three filters we had on hand have been replaced in the roof unit (thanks, again, @mkart); we still need a fourth. I’d like to order the fourth we need now, plus two more sets of 4 for back-up (i.e. 9 altogether). So…from where do we order them, and if I do order/pay for them, can I assume I will get reimbursed in a timely manner? @ESmith. @Azalaket.

1 Like

I would direct this question towards infrastructure. They are the ones who should be paying for the filters.

@bscharff

1 Like

Well… since I went down the ladder first I’m glad you didn’t

1 Like

I just saw this thread… I bought all the filters that standard supply had (3). @mblatz if you can source one more filter that would be awesome and will certainly be reimbursed. We in the woodshop will figure out a replacement schedule amongst ourselves to get them replaced 1-2 times a month. I will add it to our committee meeting on 10/11.

3 Likes

Looking at graph of past 30 days, it is very obvious now what happens when woodshop has effectively no AC, since filters were fixed on October 9th temp has been consistently 82-84, so maybe the AC is adequate for tooling in woodshop as long as its functioning.

2 Likes

The outside temperatures have been lower as well in the last week or so. That may have something to do with it as well.

3 Likes

I think it would be nice to have an outside temperature graphed as well. We might be able to see how much the outside temperature effects the inside. Can we put up one outside?

Just pull the historical temperature data off the internet…right?

Or just track a Weather Underground reporting station. This one is pretty close:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KTXFARME13

Should probably watch it to see how accurate it is. It is a nice station but don’t know how well it is sited.

1 Like

I believe one of Science committees project @Eric_Brunner is a weather station on roof. Data could be collected from there.

1 Like

Weather station is on the shelf until next project sprint :disappointed_relieved: or until somebody comes up with a flushed out plan

Have we determined a regular interval in which these should be changed yet?

I’m happy to do it if it’s something that we just need to do on the 1st of the month or w/e cycle would work best.