Woodshop filter

I cleaned out the filter by the band saw yesterday before I started my project. The filter tube was full of saw dust, and the pleats were packed with saw dust. The barrel was full. I think it was all backed up when I turned it on it was at 5 after cleaning. I tapped the tube going to the barrel and could hear it clear up and it dropped to 3.

Someone else cleaned about 2 hours later, it was not packed up but still read 5 after they cleaned it.

4 Likes

Means the filter is gone, and needs to be replaced.

What’s the status of a green / red band on the gauge? I think people would be more likely to act if the gauge gets into the red rather than waiting for the flashing light that apparently didn’t work this time.

1 Like

The filter does not fit correctly, but I thought it was fairly new

Yesterday I had trouble with the same DC. I checked the barrel and it was nearly empty. The dust pan under the filter was empty. I took the filter outside to blow it out which did not result in much. A fellow woodworker mentioned he had emptied the dust barrel plus blew out the filter 2 hours previous. After reassembly, I was only able to get the gauge down to 4.5. Either the filter needs replacing or the gauge isn’t reading properly. DC’s of this caliber should not need a complete cleaning ever 2.5 hours.

1 Like

BTW, typically the filter is the last to need cleaning if the barrel and dust plan are emptied. The problem occurs when the barrel gets full which results in the chips and dust getting sucked/blown into the filter, a bad thing. It all begins with keeping the barrel emptied. A barrel full devise that shuts down the DC would be helpful.

https://www.amazon.com/ONEIDA-Dust-Sentry-Level-Sensing/dp/B00JUP1TNS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1496715675&sr=8-1&keywords=oneida+sensor&linkCode=sl1&tag=monowork06-20&linkId=af5014aa979f42dc972c6b1b540193fc
Could probably adapt to kill power in addition to the light…

I’ve also noticed the dust collector is always at 4.5 now regardless of cleaning. Do we know what is going on? I can still feel suction but I’m not sure if it is actually working as desired.

This is, of course, the root problem. If people aren’t required (not just expected) to practice good dust control discipline, we can expect to continue to go through filters at many times the normal rate.

1 Like

I have had a barrel full devise on my home DC for years. I seldom ever have to blow out my filters. Once the chips and dust get blown into the filter it is close to impossible to get them clean again thus reducing their effective life. Blowing out only removes the chips and large dust particles. The micro dust is basically trapped. The gauge only gives the degree of preasure from a clogged filter after the damage is done. It is not preventative.

1 Like

Have you noticed the heat in the woodshop and in particular around this DC. The more clogged the filter the higher the preasure resulting in the harder the motor has to work thus increasing the heat. This will eventually lead to motor failure which is not cheap! Check out the price of a 240v motor of this horsepower.