Woodshop donation

We picked up a saw stop and a small jet dust collector. It’s in the storage area.

Take a look and let me know what we plan to do with the equipment.

4 Likes

The saw stop should go to plastics !
Along with the dust collections

That is a great idea! Safety first.

1 Like

Plastics already has a larger dust collector.

Plastics is a small area for a large table saw I don’t think it will fit and be usable there. There could also be issues with some of the things we might cut in that area not being compatible with SawStop tech. @keoliver

1 Like

Its on wheels, it could be dedicated for dado cuts. For many years in my home shop I had a long shelf with my chop saw on top and tablesaw under it. Pulled the saw out when I needed it.

2 Likes

The sawstop isn’t a good fit for plastics. The static electricity generated while cutting would make the sawstop useless as intended. We do already have 2 dust collectors which we are trying to condense into 1.

3 Likes

The small dust collector might be useful for handsaw and sander that don’t currently fit inside woodshop.

1 Like

There are two major problems I with a. Saw Stop in Plastics. The first is the fact that many plastics have conductive additives to discharge static and would trigger the saw stop, as well as static electricity which is an issue with acrylics and polycarbonates. The second issue is space.

Solution to the two problems. There is space for plastics to expand … where all the electrical wire and parts is being stored. Allow plastics to expand to the sink:.

We allow people to cut acrylic sheets in the woodshop.
The current saw in the plastics area is too small to safely cut anything larger than 2’ x 4’ without help.

The sawstop break can be turned off for this plastic that would trigger the saw…

Safety should be foremost at the space…

2 Likes