Woodshop Committee Meeting and Election 6/2/22 7:00p

Agenda: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19RyCyfooQXAbOYBawWo1F5QPdrITb-YigEq8nxDr50Y/edit?usp=sharing

Calendar event Events | Dallas Makerspace Calendar

Chair election will also be happening.

I’m going to post a few of the agenda items that I imagine will be more controversial or merit wider discussion than who shows up to the meeting. Discuss here and it will be taken into account at the meeting.

4 Likes
  • Miter Saw
    • The Kapex has been quoted at $1200. New Kapex would be $1545. We should probably look at a different option than repair. Saws that fit our miter station as currently built:
      • Makita LS1219I
        • Reviews suggest common issue with sliding bars throwing off parallelism, may be correctable by user during setup or with aftermarket device.
      • Bosch GCM12SD
        • This is the ‘knuckle’ design we used prior to the Kapex. We are repairing the old one as a backup regardless.
      • Hitachi C12RSH12
        • Reviews suggest it may still be too deep for our table, and the bevel lock is on the back. Would need to play with one to make sure it works.
      • Kapex
        • I believe the biggest advantage to this saw is the 3 yr maintenance coverage. However our history shows this saw being down every 4-6 months for several weeks. If we go this route I would suggest purchasing two and sending one out every 3-4 months for a PM. From reading online, this is the same schedule / technique that several woodworking schools use. Essentially, it’s $3000 for 3 years of no maintenance cost. So the question is can we keep the cost of one of the above saws under $1000/year?
  • We can also examine changing the miter station design to accommodate deeper sliding saws.
  • We should also discuss the idea of having a second saw installed in the miter station that is exclusively for 90deg cuts, perhaps a non-sliding saw.

Proposed rules for the Router table. Please review so we can edit prior to the meeting.

RouterTableRules_ 03_21_2022.pdf (314.7 KB)

And final controversial topic… Annual recertification of members using an online pass/fail test.

Proposal
DMS_Woodshop_Certification1.pdf (129.2 KB)

3 Likes

One week isn’t enough time to consider all of this Im sure we can figure out the saw issue without locking ourselves into the rest.

Everyone knows my feelings toward the Kapex. I use one in a professional environment frequently. It is a nice saw for building cabinets and furniture. It has too many green knobs for our environment. It is like giving a teenager a sexy fast car and then suggesting they not speed.

I don’t expect to finalize a plan for recertification this go around, this is the first glance the public has had at this discussion.

However I see no reason we can’t come to a consensus on a saw purchase and some basic tool rules?

Perhaps adopting DMS JIRA for the project board scenario would be worth considering.

2 Likes

Great idea. I don’t know enough about the new software the space has been adopting and I should change that.

2 Likes

Bumping to remind everyone of the meeting tonight.

Fyi, you will need to meet virtually. Power is out and no estimate for restore. Our HVAC units are also severely damaged.

2 Likes

Thanks Justin.

Virtual Link:
Woodshop Committee Meeting
Thursday, June 2 · 7:00 – 8:00pm
Google Meet joining info
Video call link: https://meet.google.com/kox-ovga-afz
Or dial: ‪(US) +1 414-909-5103‬ PIN: ‪589 754 039‬#
More phone numbers: https://tel.meet/kox-ovga-afz?pin=1564024767962

If the building is open I’ll be there, otherwise it will be online. If we don’t have enough attendees virtually or otherwise, we will postpone any expenditure votes and reschedule for next week.

5 Likes

So I know it’s just a sample test but aren’t the rollers on the planer 12” apart meaning a 10” piece would fall inbetween them! Doesn’t the length have to be 12” to span both the rollers

Nope.

Oh I was thought in my class by Chris 12” was the minimum, but after research, 10”s is a good number it’s just over 3” over the manufacturer’s minimum length listed for that model so plenty of overage to be safe! But I like both the idea and substance contained in the test and feel it’ll be very very beneficial

1 Like

I think back in the day we went with 12" as a policy minimum because that was the minimum length we imposed on the jointer for safety’s sake. (Anything shorter than that has the tendency to “nose dive” into cutters and then go ballistic.) And since one couldn’t (as in shouldn’t) joint anything shorter than 12", it was decided to put that same limit on planer so as to generally discourage people thinking that because they can plane something shorter than 12" they could then joint it as well.

2 Likes

Per the space closure, Woodshop meeting will be online only.

Thanks everyone for a productive meeting. Notes from the meeting are in the document above.

A few highlights:

• We voted to purchase a Makita 12" sliding saw to replace the Kapex.
  • We will be replacing a few of the Festool sanders that have lasted us more than 7 years at this point.
  • Southern Yellow Pine is now banned from all free-standing machines in the woodshop. Signage will be going up to make this clear.
  • We are working on an entirely online, automatic, required, annual re-certification test. Initial proposal is in the minutes above. A more fleshed out proposal will be coming in the next few months.
  • Workshop cleanup day June 21st, 6:30pm. Shop will be closed for the duration.
6 Likes