Woodshop class help

im in need of a woodshop familiarization so that I can use the equipment in the woodshop. Anytime during in the evenings would work for me if someone qualified to give me access would be willing to help me. I will of course pay a course fee for your time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

New member - I also need general overview / familiarization / certification with woodshop. Familiar with most stuff already, but want to go through proper procedure & learn to use CNC. Don’t see available courses.

Happy to compensate as well. I have mostly flexible schedule.

I just posted a class for Jan 31st - it should hit the calendar within 72 hours.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/21132

1 Like

For those who are not familiar with how the calendar works … the class will show registration closed prior to it actually opening up.

1 Like

Just went live - you can sign up now.

I may be doing something wrong, but it looks like there are no registrations available for the class. I would love to register if possible.

Related: Are there classes to learn the multicam? My apologies there is something obvious that I have missed about signing up.

The class path to the Multicam is long and convoluted. Short story – too many people were screwing up the spoil boards. I’m not sure what the path currently is. It was – learn the Shapeoko and maybe get to the Multicam if you can prove you know what you’re doing. Woodshop bought a new CNC router machine, and I believe that’s the current first step. Woodshop may still be stepping that step, though.

1 Like

I appreciate the response. I can imagine getting folks up to speed on the Multicam is tough. I wouldn’t want to touch it until I was confident I could use it safely and courteously. I can try to learn the Shapeoko in the meantime.

it says full so, I’ll wait the 72hrs and see if I can sign up then. any update on if theres stil going to be an xcarve class?

These classes are fairly small. That class is, indeed, already full. In just 4 hours (or so) live. With any luck, Tom may put up another class fairly soon. Or, one of our other instructors.

that crazy am I the one that asked for it

is there not a way I can be added since I requested the class? I have been trying to get in for months. my normal work schedule never lines up for the available times.

I can do a one on one with you to get you sigoff. What’s your schedule like? Im free nights and weekends.

1 Like

I can do any evening starting monday you’re available for the next 3 weeks. I had foot surgery so im off work until then. I really appreciate the help.

I wasn’t able to get into the class either. I could potentially meet up there when you and @Kahlil_Washington are there if that is an option. I can make nearly any time work with a day or so of notice. I’m happy to compensate. Thank your help.

My wife has been trying to get thr basics class. She would really like yo join if your doing a small orientation this week. She is available Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, or friday evenings or Saturday morning. If this is possible, let me know what time and how much class is. Thank you

I’m a new member & need to be able to use the equipment. I am a wood worker hobbiest but lack all the equipment available at DMS. How do I start training so I can begin? What comes first?

There are two main classes to get access to the Woodshop Tools.

The Woodshop Safety & Orientation Class - reviews the rules and operation of the compound miter, jointer, planer, table saws, Jet Bandsaw, sanders, and router table.

And the Lathe Safety & Orientation Class - reviews the rules and operation of the wood lathes.

There are also other classes designed for the specific tools: Bandsaw for Makers [access to the new Laguna Bandsaws], Slab Flatener [access to the Slab Flatener], Router Table Specific class [Skill Building], Table Saw Specific [Skill Building], etc

I will probably put another Woodshop Safety & Orientation class up, but need to validate the home/work schedule first [most likely Feb 1-3].

1 Like

Thank you for your response. I would like to pre-register for the next class if possible!
Let me know what I need to do to make this happen.

David

Our calendar system doesn’t accommodate pre-registrations (or waiting lists). Sorry, but your only option is to sign up once it hits the calendar.

According to @Julie-Harris you can get calendar notifications from Discord. See this post. I don’t know how this works.