Woodshop Basics has been Deleted

The primary class required for the woodshop is now named Woodshop Safety & Orientation to better reflect the objectives and experiences of the class.

Lathe Basics has also been renamed: Lathe Safety & Orientation

TSki is launching our first of many in depth classes on specific pieces of equipment.

The Table Saw

In the future if someone is breaking the table saw rules, they will be required to take/retake this class.

March 8 - https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/19334

6 Likes

SWEET! I’d love classes that get in depth like a single tool/type of tool. I was looking at buying a set of the tricked out GRR-Rippers with some of the extra attachments and after watching some of their videos, there are configurations they use them in that I wouldn’t have thought of. I’d like to be confident about changing the blade myself and setting the angle, when to use which sled, etc…rather than just having a general knowledge of how I think I remember it works. Absolutely NOTHING against the basics class for those familiar with the tools, but a dedicated router class, a table saw & sled class, a bandsaw class for us newbies is so needed for confidence building. LOL, like I’m still not sure when I would need to use which sander…belt sander, spindle sander, drum sander, edge sander, orbital sander or just do it by hand. (…and how do you know when you’ve sanded enough?) I know these are all things that experienced folks would intuit, but not so much the novice. I think it’s brilliant and starting with Table Saws is perfection! As a newbie in the woodshop - LOVE IT!

2 Likes

Are the table saw rules listed (and current/complete) on the Woodshop Wiki? The use of (and availability of) the various sleds comes to mind. Also, I’ve seen folks cutting acrylic and HDPE on the table saws recently. Are all of the approved ‘cut materials’ documented, and current/complete on the Woodshop Wiki as well?

There are printed out sheets for each of the major tools in a holder mounted on the wall just to the right of the chop saw. The table saw definitely has a page, I just read it last night.

2 Likes