Wood, Soda, or Reduction?

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any nearby artists or communities that offered kiln sharing or pay for fire in either wood, soda, or reduction? I’m just trying to get a feel for what options are around. And when I say “nearby”, I’d be open to anything within a few hours drive.

Outside of Austin I’m personally not familiar with anywhere around here. Posting for purposes to gain insight in case there are, as I am very interested!

There are a couple of schools that offer reduction firing for their students, but don’t know of any studios that offer kiln space for those types of firings. Connor was working on having a soda kiln, so might check with him on progress.

Brookhaven College School of the Arts does reduction, soda, and wood firing. Of course, one has to register for a ceramics class.

1 Like

Yeah, I kinda figured the schools around here would have it. I just don’t really have the time or a need for a semester of classes, so that’s why I was asking about community/pay for fire kilns.

1 Like

Talk to Conor at Trinity…he has a list of people who offer paid firings at the front desk. There might be one on it :+1:

2 Likes

I spoke to someone at Trinity earlier and they gave me a name for cone 10 reduction in Fort Worth, but they didn’t know of any wood fires. I figured it was a long shot, but thought I’d ask just in case. :blush:

3 Likes

I don’t know if they ever share kiln space but Pine Mills Pottery does a lot of wood fires, might be worth a call. They are ~2 hours away in East Texas.

4 Likes

If Austin isn’t too far there was a studio, Eye of the Dog I think, that was doing all three types of firing. Could contact them to see if/what would be needed to get included with one of their firings. No idea of specifics but it doesn’t hurt to contact and find out.

2 Likes