Wood lathe classes soon?

I am wanting a lathe class and I notice there are none on the schedule. Is there going to be a class soon? Alternatively would taking the Woodcraft lathe course be sufficient.

1 Like

They had a lathe class yesterday [LINK] - they are usually really good about getting at least one class up a month. They might get another class up this month - hopefully the teacher will respond to this thread, but checking the calendar regularly is your best bet.

A Woodcraft course is not sufficient - being able to operate the lathe is only part of the class, you still have the rules and where things are kept.

We have a new lathe teacher @birdman coming online.

Woodshop is actively recruiting additional teachers for Lathe Basics, Pens, and Make & Take projects. If anyone would like to explore teaching Lathe or Woodshop classes please send me a PM. You will receive all the support you might need in order to hold awesome classes.

Have you already taken the Woodcraft class? If so I can meet you up there and validate your skill level to get you signed off. Otherwise, I would say its a pretty expensive class and would hold out to get signed off via our Operations and Safety class.

I am actively working with Birdman to get him signed off as an instructor so hopefully he should have a class up soon.

1 Like

Yes. When I was young I had a fair amount of experience, but I have not used one in 30 years. Would like someone to watch me set the machine up and teach me about speeds. I would also like any safety tips you might give me.

I read your note more carefully and no I have not.

1 Like

I am new to DMS, but not new to turning. I am interested in getting lathe qualified. I have a Nova DVR XP lathe in my home shop. I have made 100’s of pens, about 100 smaller bowls, and many other items (bottle stoppers, tool handles, pepper grinders). I was in DMS Tuesday evening and was offered a spot the lathe class, but had to leave to pick my daughter up at 7:30. This 7:30 deadline is an everyday thing and I fear the normal evening class might be difficult to attend in the short term. I would be interested in teaching in the future.

1 Like

Hi Todd, I just watched your video in the other thread, very nice work! That was me that offered you the spot since I had a no show.
We definitely need more teachers! For future reference, what are the best times for you?

1 Like

I take my daughter to swim team on Mon-Tues-Thur form 6:00 to 7:30. It is about 1/2 mile from DMS. As an example, I will be at DMS tonight around 6:00 until 7:20ish.

Lordrook DMS Member
March 9

Hi Todd, I just watched your video in the other thread, very nice work! That was me that offered you the spot since I had a no show.
We definitely need more teachers! For future reference, what are the best times for you?

1 Like

I just realized that this coming week is spring break and I will have mostly unlimited shop time. If you are going to be at DMS and are willing to spend time with me, I can come at your convenience. Thank you in advance.

Sorry to butt in @toddlf16. I noticed your comment about spring break, but also that it was not a reply to a specific person. I am commenting, and tagging @Lordrook , so he will be notified directly about this message.

2 Likes

I need to be more observant when using the iPhone and iPad for this stuff. I thought I replied to him, but click the wrong reply button. Thank you very much for butting in. Please jump in any time you want.

It kind of depends on how far I get on a personal project I have with a tight deadline. Right now I am leaning towards not being able to for another 2 weeks likely. If that changes though I will reach out for sure.

1 Like

Thank you.

I am looking forward to being part of this DMS community.

@ Lordrook I have not taken any of the woodcraft classes, but have been making pens for 8 years and am interested in getting approved on the lathe soon to make some pens for my team at work. I would like to understand expectations for teaching, as I am also willing to teach a lathe basics class and guide people through a pen class from time to time.

Hi Charles,

To teach any of the sign-off classes at DMS you would need to first shadow an approved instructor teaching the class, then the instructor shadows you with your first class teaching and then you are good to go. I am working with @BirdMan to shadow him sometime in the near future. If you wanted to get in on that, that would be a good time. Also if you could show up a bit early and demonstrate your lathe skills (10-15 min) I can sign you off on the spot to use them. (@toddlf16 feel free to show up for that as well for the same reasons) Once signed off you are ok to teach project classes right away, the main hang up on sign-off classes is the safety portion and the shadowing process.

Also just an FYI for you and Peter, I am having a procedure done that will inhibit my ability to do any heavy lifting or exertion for about 4 weeks. That wont stop me from being able to come up and observe and shadow though.

This all sounds great. I am taking Peter’s woodshop class this Wednesday, so I will be around then.

1 Like

Getting an error when I try to log in to sign up for the class, but I will be there tomorrow.