Wood lathe and safety classes

Hello,

Please let me know when can be next wood lathe and safety

cc: @jnorine

Let me look at getting a class up asap and I’ll post when I submit.

1 Like

@LBellamkonda –
You should probably list your availabilities, so that the class can be scheduled appropriately. Otherwise, Murphy will get you, and it will scheduled on the one day/time that you absolutely can’t make it…

I submitted a class for 1/13 at 10 am. Should go live Sunday night at this link: https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/21028

If that doesn’t work for you, let me know and I’ll figure something out.

1 Like

I’ve been waiting for this! I’ll be watching for this link to go live, too.

I would like to get into a lathe safety class. The one on 1/13 must be full. I have been turning for 50 years though I want to qualify for the Makerspace lathes plus I not so ingrained that I cannot learn something

Bob
816 896-7577

1 Like

I already have the Woodshop safety class.

The one on 1/13 is not full yet, because it’s not been published yet. All calendar events have an approval period of between 1 to 5 days depending on the conditions.

Yeah, the class isn’t “live” yet - there’s a delay between submission and it popping on the calendar.

That being said - if you’ve been turning for 50 years, there is probably very little you’ll get from my class; it’s mostly how not to hurt yourself on the machine and how to hold the tools.

@SWA - is there a process where I can just run someone through a quick checkout instead of making them take the whole class?

Let’s see what Burt says - but I bet we can get you checked out and working on the lathes.

Yes. The instructor can setup a private checkout. These are usually held to a higher standard. The fee is between the instructor and student.

Are there lock outs on the lathes to keep someone from who hasn’t been to the class ?

At the moment, no. There’s discussion about access control when the woodshop reorganizes (and we’re not even sure what form that would take) but at the moment, it’s purely honor system. Which is kind of how a good portion of the Makerspace works - we’re reliant on people respecting the rules of the space, one of which is “if a tool requires a sign off, don’t use it if you’re not signed off”.

If you are available, I can run you through a checkout Saturday the 13th while I’m teaching the basics class at 10 am. You’ll be asked to mount material, round it off, and cut a pair of matching spindles. You can bring your own tools if you’d like or use some of ours. I’ll dig up wood to use. Usual safety precautions (safety glasses required, face shield optional but recommended/no loose clothing/tie back any dangling hair). If that time doesn’t work for you, we can figure something else out.

it’s purely honor system

And just to clarify - If you use a tool that requires training/ sign off without actually having gotten signed off, that is grounds for punishment, which might be suspension/expulsion from the area (or DMS even).

1 Like

I would like to learn how to use the larhes too! I’ve been waiting forever for a class to go up. Is the 1/13 one full?

No, the class is not full - it just hasn’t been posted to the main calendar because there is a delay between submission and when it gets pushed live to the calendar; the delay, I believe, is so that the higher-ups can review it to make sure the class is relevant to Makerspace interests and is a valid use of resources/space/time.

I submitted it on the 4th at 9ish pm. So, unless it’s denied it should be on the live calendar on the 7th (so, Sunday night) around 9ish pm. If I’m near a computer during that time, I’ll update this thread when I see it live.

Trust me I play by the rules. I have actually stopped someone from getting ready to run a piece of end grain through the planer and then had to stop them with the same piece at the jointer.

1 Like

When will the event go live to register

^ Might not be until tomorrow depending on if the time submitted hit the ate cutoff.

Huh - did not know that. Thanks for the info. :slight_smile: