Wide Format Printer is **NOT AVAILABLE** (yet)

As the title says: the Wide Format Printer is NOT AVAILABLE (yet).

We are still getting the printer set up and calibrated, installing needed software and hardware, and are also still in the process of calculating the cost of printing. Once the printer is is available we will begin posting training classes, which we hope to have on the calendar before the end of the month.

Rules that will be in place and strictly enforced:

1. ALL prints count, there are no “test” prints. You print it, you pay for it.
  2. Printing will be charged per linear foot, rounded up, with a 1 foot minimum.
  3. You may only print from the one DMS computer that will be designated for that purpose.
    You may not use your own laptop, phone, or print over the network. Circumventing this rule will result in a loss of access to the printers.
  4. DMS will only stock matte and gloss paper in 24" and 44" rolls. These printers will not work with canvas. Any outside printing media must be pre-approved before use.

Paul Wilson - Wide Format Printer SIG leader

12 Likes

Does the software monitor ink usage? Some prints might be draft and not take much ink.
Just wondering…

2 Likes

I believe it can, but we will only have 4 tiers of pricing:

1. 24" using DMS media
  2. 24" using outside media (media pre-approval REQUIRED)
  3. 44" using DMS media
  4. 44" using outside media (media pre-approval REQUIRED)

Our fee model is based upon that of the lasers, where the pricing will be well below average free market commercial rates, but still allowing for enough income to pay for replacement inks, paper, maintenance parts (and outside labor if required), as well as building up a balance to upgrade machines or purchase additional printers in the future.

We are not going to start arguing over square inches of ink coverage at whatever percent of ink density. The pricing will be set at a fair rate. If you find it to be too much, you are free to investigate other options outside of DMS.

11 Likes

Great … as long as it isn’t $30/inch … I’m sure it will be the best price in town

Thanks for setting all this up and working on it

You may not use your own laptop, phone, or print over the network

Just out of curiosity but why?

Because there is software running on the PC that is tied to your username and logs prints.

There is no way to log the use of the printer on outside equipment.

Due to massive amounts of shrinkage when we had the prior wide format printers available, we are going to be very strict in the logging of print output on the new printers, and making sure that all prints are paid for properly.

3 Likes

How will committees pay?

To be decided, will have to hash it out with the other committee heads.

1 Like

Does that printer ONLY have a network connection, or could it be connected via USB (or something else) directly to the designated computer? That would help prevent people circumventing the rules.

It has both USB and Ethernet.

Then a USB only connection to the computer might be the way to go.

2 Likes

Any plans on stocking more media types in the future? Once the process is in place and shrinkage is under control it seems that stocking other media types with the appropriate profiles saved in the printer is doable.

It is just hard to justify buying 150/300ft rolls of media for personal use.

I approve of everything in this message. @hardsuit has been fantastic about getting this set up. If it were up to me I’d still be scratching my head.

2 Likes

It will be very nice to have a wide format printer again. Thanks to all who are making this happen!

1 Like

I’m super excited about this. I just saw a large coloring book page on another teacher’s wall at school, and I want one for my classroom :heart:

1 Like

Right now we will be keeping it very simple for DMS in-house media. Sheets (instead of rolls) of compatible media are available from various sources, just check with the SIG before ordering to make sure it is compatible.

Once we are further along, we will have a posted list of suggested suppliers for additional printing media, and what products that have been approved for use.

2 Likes

That is good news!! Thank you.

Still have calibration issues and software to install but we’re making progress.

Both prints on the wall are from the built-in diagnostic and demo images.

11 Likes

Wha? Blue tape? Are you hiding a stash? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like