Why you should buy top-tier gas (and where to get it)

I wasn’t aware VW ever used mechanical injection (unless you count CIS, which is totally different than Kuglefischer, and doesn’t constitute “mechanical” in my opinion) let alone in 1975. I know the 1968 TIII was the first mass produced car to use electronic injection (relatively) successfully in the USA. Nifty little system, I must say. I love CIS, as well. Nice and robust. Worked very well. But as with all good things, their time, too, must pass.

And yes, the elementary school diagrams are fun. I’d have no beef if it were accurate, or if the words were. When neither are…

EDIT: Just occurred to me you might have meant in defense of the existence of fuel injection, of which there was plenty in the 1980’s and 1990’s in the USA. None, or virtually none, of them were “direct”, as they all use “ports” in the intake, the throttle body, etc. I assume the authors INTENDED to say “direct port injection”, a common misnomer of the period, so as to differentiate it from “throttle body injection”, but a blatant mistake in 2014+.

K-Jetronic (CIS) was mechanical - the only electrical/electronic component was the high pressure fuel pump.

Nothing like Kugelfischer - which is more like traditional diesel with an injection pump.

direct injection as found on some Euro models starting in 2005 has created a major problem (expense shouldered by the vehicle owner) of cleaning the intake manifold and valves - typically with a media blaster of walnut shells and a vacume.

1 Like

Ethanol fuel in the United States is a result of a political bargain that was made with the farming lobby and corn-growing states.

It has little to do with the EPA except as an instrument of outside political imperatives.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748703572404575634753486416076

Agree on CIS. I just refuse to refer to it as “mechanical” because that causes confusion with Kugelfischer- like systems.

I giggle about the fact that fuel was blamed for the carbon buildup and other nastiness in the intake tract, but now that it’s not in there any more, the carbon still builds up! Wonder where its coming from? (Here’s a hint. What ELSE is frequently carboned up in the upper end of modern motors, including diesels, which have always been direct injection, and the new gasoline direct injection)

Top-tier fuels. Just to keep this on topic. :wink:
BTW did you know that the first mass produced spark ingition electronic DI vehicle was sold in 1996 in Japan by Mitsubishi? A Galant. LOL

1 Like

CIS mechanical = due to the mechanical injectors - very much like diesel injectors (before direct inj / common rail) where the injector would not open until a threshold pressure was reached.

Not to twist your tail, but European diesels (those using a mechanical pump and lines to the injectors were NOT direct injection but injected fuel into a “pre chamber” (not directly into the cylinder) vs today’s direct injection. (I’m a Euro car guy so please don’t ask me about GM’s boat anchor attempt as a diesel sedan in the 1980s)

below is a link to a 300SD benz glow plug, prechamber, inj etc.
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=merceds+300sd+pre+chmaber+diagram&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

2 Likes

Yeah, I know. But there is no valve/barrier between the pre-chamber and the combustion chamber, so even though it’s called Indirect Diesel Injection (IDI) (to differentiate it from today’s “even more direct injection”), it’s still directly into the combustion chamber, albeit a small alcove thereof. Or to put it another way, as compared to Gasoline fuel injection from the 1980’s, it’s direct.
Here’s a nice technical drawing of the whole shebang.

As for CIS… You’re not wrong. I just refuse to use the term “mechanical” because it connotes a mechanical injection pump, as employed with Kugelfisher and its ilk and diesels. It’s nothing like those systems. If anything, I’d choose to call it “hydraulic” since it employs fuel pressure differentials as part of its metering mechanism, but ultimately, I choose to call it “CIS”. :smiley:

Top Tier Fuels…controversy at noon.

The higher-level purpose is for this company… http://www.savantlab.com/ …to sell its products by manipulating the consumer.

1 Like

God so many posts since I last checked.
I get it Tom, I just like to get evidence before I accept a differing opinion, I’m not opposed to changing my viewpoint on anything though.