Why is the chromakey wall Blue? (Fair warning i rant a little here)

I swear my intention with this post was not to stir up controversy but i legitimately wanted to know why the choice was made i see various valid reasons and remove my concern. And i apologize that my emotions over a bad key due to blue jeans flavored it. I know now i will set up my own green sceen. Thats not really a problem i have no where else to do that.

1 Like

Thanks but yeah I posted that link earlier in the threadā€¦

Actually, the group was already ā€˜privateā€™ before (only subscribers and @dallasmakerspace.org accounts can see it). I was thinking it may have been set to Public after we switched to these (TALK) public forums; but, it has not been - which is why I copied/pasted the entire thread (split into two posts above due to character limitations)ā€¦

If any current member would like to be added to that archived group to see it directly from the group, send me a PM with the e-mail account you want added. Itā€™s strictly ā€˜read onlyā€™. Otherwise, if you just want to see whatā€™s in that actual post, scroll up and read the two VERY LONG messages I posted above. :wink:

:smile:

Hahaā€¦ No worries! Thatā€™s kinda sorta why my initial response was just to post a link to that threadā€¦ :wink:

That being saidā€¦ Itā€™s kewl that Steve is volunteering to let us use the green chroma backdrop paper! (Thanks!)

There have been a few discussions about purchasing green chroma fabric to hang when desired, tooā€¦ I believe it just didnā€™t go very far, because no-one was really sure how much it would really get usedā€¦ Itā€™s obviously being used more now though, so why not see if Digital Media will consider buying some. There are tons of links in the messages I posted above 'n Iā€™m sure most are still goodā€¦ Iā€™m guessing as (relatively) inexpensive that it would be, they shouldnā€™t have much of a problem being able to afford it at this pointā€¦ :smile:

1 Like

I offered to loan my 10ā€™ x 20ā€™ green screen backdrop with stands. The stands are currently in the light kit on the committee shelf. I brought the cloth home since I found someone about to cut off a few feet for personal use.

1 Like

The mobile specific link (contains /m/) redirects you to the ā€˜home pageā€™ when loading it on non mobile, which is always annoying, this is the desktop permalink

The idea was to make sure the room was flexible enough to be used for other
things (conference room, etc.) since we were just an interest group.
Personally Iā€™m quite happy with the blue; weā€™ve used it for a lot of stuff
without any problems. We could change it if we want since weā€™re officially
a committee, but right now itā€™s got minimal texture on it, and getting that
surface smooth and consistent is a real undertaking. I donā€™t think itā€™s
worth it.

2 Likes

Kewl thanksā€¦ That should help members who have @dallasmakerspace.org e-mail addresses and/or were already a member of that group at the time it was archived. :smile:

Others can read the message that I copied/pasted and/or can send me a PM to request access to the archived group.

Thanks againā€¦

Hello John!

I am sorry that I am just seeing this. I took over the Digital Media Committee just a couple of months ago.
I do agree with you. green chroma paint would have indeed been more functional. However, the DM room was formerly an Art Committee room, so we have blue.

I do like the blue screen for night shots, and you are correct. Blue is a very common color, and it would be more challenging to shoot when the subject is wearing blueā€¦ I personally prefer Blue Screens in a night time set up, because some of the spillover can be better hidden.

That being said, the DM committee has backdrops on the list of items to purchase for the studio, along with an even LED light for the green/blue screens. We do not have the bandwidth right now to change the color to green.

When the DM committee is able to acquire a new space, we would like to change the color to industry standards.

I hope this helps.

Natasha Cooks

@evilkoolade

1 Like

ā€¦AND no one looped me in. Should I be offended? :wink:

Paint the wall green and put up a blue curtain. When not video taping you have a nice blue curtain and you are protecting the wall.

My 2 1/2 cents opinion.

3 Likes

Excellent Solution, and not difficult to implement. It appears that the DM room is getting a ton more use, so we should probably revisit the use cases.

@keithholmestx

1 Like

Dragging this up againā€¦

So I like @keithholmestx suggestion of a curtain. What I was envisioning was a stretch of EMT conduit or a wooden pole supported by all-thread going up through the ceiling tiles. Anyone could then use fabric they have as well as a couple typical colors used (Green, Black, White, Blue) that could be temporarily hung by clamps or for the backdrops owned by DMS with grommet holes for shower curtain type hangars.

Anyone still interested in making the Digital Media room more ā€˜usableā€™ for the members at at large?

I have a chroma key green cloth for the stands I loaned to DMS. I removed the cloth when it migrated to another room for another purpose. itā€™s 10ā€™ x 20ā€™. It stretches tight for a wrinkle free backdrop.

I can bring it back up if it is useful. Donā€™t need to work the discussion on why green is better for video do we?

Not in my bookā€¦we donā€™t.

This would definitely be a faster fix for having a green screen, but I know the long term solution is something besides the typical stands and stretched cloth. Only because that space is a bit small and I know from my set up at home that the stands once spread out for stability take up a little more room on each side and the back wall.

Once you add in some proper lighting soft boxes I think the space is gonna get a bit cramped long ways.

I am hoping to put forth a design for LED lights that will have parts made by several committees and they will be suspended from the ceiling to free up some floor space.

You could pick up a pair of manfotto autopoles to use instead of tradiotional stands.

1 Like

We can source some high power LEDs and drivers to build our own. I still have a few film/tv contacts to see if we can get some donations.

1 Like

Yes that is the plan to build something along the lines of thisā€¦

Would prefer to use something lighter than wood, so cut/bent sheet metal/aluminum and something a little more elegant for the power supply with suggestions from the Electronics committee.

2 Likes

I use autopoles in my studio. You need a sturdy spots the ceiling to apply
tension. Minot sure if the ceiling we have in there would work as is. We
may need to go past the tiles and up to the rafters or something.

How about acrylic Abel? Light enough I would think. I do like that light. I may make one just to have around.

1 Like