Why is the chromakey wall Blue? (Fair warning i rant a little here)

First off I’m new to the forums so I apologize if I’m speaking out of turn or in the wrong place. Everyone I’ve asked in person seems to think That Blue screen and green screen are the same, but this is not completely true. Blue screen is used on FILM as the blue channel is the least noisy on film where as the GREEN channel is less noisy on digital. now i personally doubt there are going to be many in that tiny room shooting on film. But all that aside green is a color people don’t ware as much. I mean when was the last time you saw someone waring GREEN jeans?

4 Likes

The story I was told is that one of our Creative Arts people vetoed the green as being too ugly. Since blue works nearly as well, that was the second choice.

1 Like

Except it doesn’t work nearly as well. I had to just leave it blue as 2 of my cast were in BLUE jeans and really don’t have any casual pants that aren’t blue jeans

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

2 Likes

https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/forum/m/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer#!searchin/dms-archive/Recording$20room/dms-archive/8aZ2h3JdHEo

Vetoed it as being too ugly? …I thought the green screen was supposed to be digitally replaced by something…ugly shouldn’t have been a concern.

3 Likes

Eyes aren’t digital. :wink:

1 Like

I’m not sure “ugly” is the right word–perhaps “offensive” (as in, ‘to the senses’)? If I’m remember correctly, the issue was that they weren’t sure how much use the screen would even get, and some were concerned that the bright green would detract from any other uses the room might have. I did, and still do, think that the green would have been better, but didn’t have any planned uses and so didn’t fight anyone on the matter. Fortunately its just a painted wall, so worse case scenarios it could be easily repainted if the committee decides to.

4 Likes

:confused:

1 Like

Form over function doesn’t seem to be the maker spirit (for lack of a better term)

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Green is best if it is only a chroma key wall and room. With a green wall, you can’t use that wall as a neutral background like you can blue, and when you light the room to use another wall as a background, you are going to get green reflected light off that wall which will give the image a green cast and make color balancing hell.

Like most things in engineering, for general use you have to compromise. Yes, it is less optimal for chroma keying, but optimizing for chroma keying would make the room much less useful overall.

2 Likes

This pretty much sums it up…

We have had this discussion over and over. Green is typically used for video, depending on your signal path you have more dynamics in the color space. Blue is usually used for film production for similar reasons, most films have better reproduction in the blue. You need good separation to pull good keys.

BUT, they chose blue since is is easier on the eyes and you have less color spill in a small space.

my bad @jast… Here ya go…

part 1 of ??

Forwarded conversation
Subject: [DMS] Recording Room: Let’s get recording!

Date: Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 12:00 PM
To: [email protected]

Hi everyone, I’d like to rally an equipment sourcing and setup for the
Recording Room. I’ve heard it called the “AV Room,” “Green Screen
Room,” “Recording Studio,” and heard some general notions but so far
as I can tell there is not yet a plan or a person to spearhead. I’d
like to be that spearhead, and I’d like to hear from anyone else with
an interest.
I’d be happy to make this a Wiki but for now I’ll just blast my
thoughts and see what the interest level is.

Location: It sounds like the plan was to use either of the rooms to
the left of the “study hall” South-West hangout area. I propose it is
the slightly larger, further one. I taped an “AV Room” sign on the
door to mark it :wink:

Direction: I think the first goal is get enough setup to record a
show-and-tell format, like Sparkfun does every Friday:

Soundproofing: I’m not sure if we have much soundproofing material
already? I think it would be good to start with whatever is
available, even if it’s just a couple pillows. We can get everything
else up and running, deal with the occasional stray noise, and later
make an investment in more serious sound isolation.

Backdrops: This is a video recording space not just audio, so some
attention is needed to make a couple different backgrounds possible.
I’ve worked in a couple different broadcast studios and curtains on
overhead traveler tracks are the most flexible solution. Be able to
go white, black, and a flat chroma-green. Again, starting with
available materials, it would probably be best to just paint the walls
black or dark gray and on a project-by-project basis bring in soft
goods to hang, or pipe+drape.

Lighting: The best scenario would be to have two lighting pipes or
trusses hanging overhead, one in the front and one in the back. For
now we can use C-stands, floor supports, pipe+base etc. Now WHO HAS
SOME OLD/BROKEN STAGE LIGHTS IN THEIR GARAGE? I’m going to contact
local theaters and see if I can scrape up any such scraps. The
get-up-and-running solution is clip lights, quartz lights, china-ball
lights etc. Proper lighting is a prime consideration, other wise you
might as well shoot on your phone at home.

Power: Lights need power, I’m guessing that room has only 1 or 2
shared circuits, so probably need another circuit or two run from
another room. Who’s got an electrical schematic of Monetary, Robert?

Audio Equipment: To start we need one lavelier mic. Again, any
donations or known sources would be appreciated. Otherwise this would
be a budgetary item, ~$200. I have a very basic mixer, some XLR, and
a USB-audio interface to donate.

Video Equipment: I have a handicam, tripod, and firewire (SD not HD)
interace to donate, if anyone has anything better that would be wild.
Eventual budgeted acquisitions will blossom forth.

Computer: I have a Mac Pro tower to lend to the cause. It would live
in the recording studio, run Final Cut or whatnot, I have an academic
licence of FCP6.

Next Goal: Someone suggested a video contest for Halloween, made-up
slasher trailers etc. I would love to help run that type of event,
let me know if anyone else wants to pitch in. Additional computers
would be needed for editing many projects at once.

LIGHTS… CAMERA… MAKERSPACE!!

love
dan

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “DMS” group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CAKF7q0tuJA7vBy0Ph%2Bic2WVyGxkNHkW7RFsxU%2BDPY0E%3DtVu_yQ%40mail.gmail.com.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

Date: Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Thanks for offering to head up this project.

Location is correct, the larger of the two conference rooms.

We have some IKEA curtain rail from the old classroom. It’s out in the workshop somewhere but could be used for this.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CAEX2NSfRvMfrcLotjhsG3Rk10NonQW4wSBBKJ%2BYEGQ0hCV4b8Q%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 3:46 PM

I have an ancient canon RE-650 overhead projector thing, that the video is defective on (it still autofocusus, so something in it still works) … it still would make a fine camera mount on the side of the head, and otherwise it’s a very brightly lit table.

Lighting: the $20 halogen construction lights work fine, no barn doors obviously.

If you have to paint the walls chroma key color, go with blue, its neutral enough to use as a standard backdrop and not an eye sore that green is. Most commercial software has blue settings before the green ones, and are generally friendlier to the casual editor. Green would take more skill.

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Andrew LeCody
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2014 3:19 PM
Subject: Re: [DMS] Recording Room: Let’s get recording!

Thanks for offering to head up this project.

Location is correct, the larger of the two conference rooms.

We have some IKEA curtain rail from the old classroom. It’s out in the workshop somewhere but could be used for this.

On Jul 4, 2014 12:00 PM, “Dan Ribaudo” [email protected] wrote:
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CAEX2NSfRvMfrcLotjhsG3Rk10NonQW4wSBBKJ%2BYEGQ0hCV4b8Q%40mail.gmail.com.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected].

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups “DMS” group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/D7F42F12EC6446178224A7C1D6D1D040%40xps1PC.

Date: Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Good idea Ken, Chroma Blue would be better backdrop than black for the general low-fuss shoot.
Then the curtain rods we have, to hang the blacks that will soon be found.

Your overhead cam table is perfect for the show&tell closeups, awesome
Agreed that quartz/contractor lights are enough for now, shine them against the white walls and you have nice diffuse sources

It’s a Wiki now:

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/AV_Studio

Dan Ribaudo
91seven84three8467
[email protected]

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CAKF7q0sFy__HE2Q%2B%2BqZ08O5kJDgZAj7uc9NSHosiSYzT_xdLZw%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 4:51 PM

I would like to be a part of this. A good part of my livelihood involves production work, and I often come across deals or donated equipment.

At the moment, I do know where there are some old school Mole Richardson light fixtures that were pulled from a theatrical venue, and there is a handfull of 110V lights in there. I will see if I can get the owner to donate some of them.

I have a lot of what one might consider broadcast gear, but I mainly keep it all around for use as props, since it’s all composite video gear.

For sound control, there are two goals that have different approaches. The first is to keep the sound IN the room under control, and the second is to keep the sound OUTSIDE of the room from coming in. The second is often more difficult than the first, but in our case will be more important due to the amount of activity in the building. Somewhere in my shop I have a device that screws to the bottom of a door and forces a seal downward to the floor when the door is closed. If I can find it pretty quickly I will bring it to the space for this room. The acoustic panels that line the walls of studios primarily control the sound in the room, but they also lend a hand in the process of blocking outside noise. Suspended floors, double walls and other techniques cannot be implemented due to costs, but adding sound absorbing curtains between the room and any nearby machinery is also a bonus. I have literaly stapled pink insulation to a sheet of plywood, stood it between a generator and the direction of filming on set, and realized a significant drop in noise levels, so you don’t always have to use the expensive stuff.

David Jeter
(469)286-6418

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CAFiSHvCMRx9GV5gsNz%2BZfm2cNcMLft7L6CmWDOV1CdyX92OxBg%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 4:32 PM
To: "[email protected]" [email protected]

I would also like to help run the Av room but, I have no equipment to donate.

Thought I do have lots of knowledge about voice acting and equipment needed for it. I also know people that we can hire to make us a professional recording room.

Lastly I would like to help lead the room because I need the leadership experience and it would be a new challenge for me.

-Josh McDonald

On Jul 4, 2014, at 3:46 PM, “Ken Schmitt” [email protected] wrote:

I have an ancient canon RE-650 overhead projector thing, that the video is defective on (it still autofocusus, so something in it still works) … it still would make a fine camera mount on the side of the head, and otherwise it’s a very brightly lit table.
<image001.jpg>
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/640836B3-55C1-4361-8D19-CEC68B7004D3%40earthlink.net.

Date: Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 4:59 PM

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/F391B63E-87BB-4AFF-A3C6-33B84AA43CA7%40earthlink.net.

Date: Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Whenever possible, some of us would like the room kept usable as a conference room. Obviously recording is awesome, but does it need a dedicated room?

-Brooks
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/0cfd25a7-30d8-4dd9-9cf8-baaf9e1a5385%40dallasmakerspace.org.

Date: Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Ah ok not aware of this thank you Brooks.

So is there a conference table with X chairs dedicated to it? How big?

D

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/44C3BB32-F3EC-4A55-8714-AC858C0A5FD7%40gmail.com.

Date: Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Chairs can be moved. We are still looking at tables. The room next door will be a dedicated conference style room as well, so having a room with a second use shouldn’t be an issue.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CABNW9XUGuCet%2BbzQPPx-Q7BRXeXiquZPa1tatEOudPaytgvRbQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 5:54 PM

I say Drunk Gaming. All we need is some drunk players, a TV, and a console. We can record the gameplay with the HD PVR that I have.

Then we do a PiP ( Picture in Picture) and post it to youtube.

-W

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CA%2BLvH%2BPbmrgUVK%3Du4_t4V%3DyeFXoK0GWLtgG-LVfcb5vthQKxKA%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 5:57 PM
To: “Dallas_Makerspace, (Members Only List)” [email protected]

LOL William =P

I believe the new VR group would like to use/share the AV Room, too… =)

Thx!

Date: Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 7:04 PM

And if we are going training room, do what the cooking shows do, or what you see at trade shows; a large light weight mirror suspended over where a table is or would be.
This allows for long video shots into the mirror, and as a class, can see down on the desk.

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Dan Ribaudo
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2014 4:43 PM
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/DE91B6BBCA974FD0B3A958B9093E3E04%40xps1PC.

Date: Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 8:47 PM

I would suggest fluorescent based lighting as you don’t want to pump 3-4 thousand watts of heat into a small room. Also moving blankets make cheap sound deadening. Just put grommets in each corner and corresponding pins on the walls.

I have a portable green screen / lighting system if you need to get shooting right away.

Ken

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/6820e6ce-7826-432c-bfbf-8f52e59d4395%40dallasmakerspace.org.

Date: Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 8:48 PM

I would suggest fluorescent based lighting as you don’t want to pump 3-4 thousand watts of heat into a small room. Also moving blankets make cheap sound deadening. Just put grommets in each corner and corresponding pins on the walls.

I have a portable green screen / lighting system if you need to get shooting right away.

Ken

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/4246c661-272e-477e-ba51-532f528bc09a%40dallasmakerspace.org.

Date: Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 8:44 AM

For audio we are going to need something else. Two reasons. One- Whenever an actor uses the mic you suggested it can be easily seen and will not look professional. Two- There is also voice acting which, will definitely not work with that mic. In order I accommodate both problems I suggest we invest in a Yeti Microphone, maybe even the pro. It could be put in a sound booth and also on a pole to be used as a boom mic. It also connects to the normal audio input so that way we only have to buy the mixer that will direct the audio into the computer. And if we want a professional booth then I know people that we can hire to give us a pro recording studio at a possible discount. (I don’t know about the discount but I can ask my friend to bargain with his boss.)

For sound control cloths and sheets can work wonders. We just have to make sure that we work on INSIDE walls. Let me stress that inside walls allow better audio and video (depending on the scenario). If we get a bunch of curtain bars we can string them along the walls and double up the sheets. Last possible sound proofing is the protective foam padding that you see in cases or cut egg cartons with foam in them. All of these should work the way we want and could be relatively inexpensive.

For the background color I suggest a dark grey. With some lighting techniques we can make it seem very dynamic and the color can work in multiple scenarios.

I would love to have a video game recording part of the Av room but… We may not have the space. We will need to accompany an editing station, stage, recording room, and props so if we find the space I am all for it.

Next we will need a live recording light so that way people will know when we are recording so that they will be quiet. We will also need some quality speakers for audio editing. These, for now, don’t have to be super fancy but have enough range to allow us to hear everything.

Lastly I would like to run the Av room. I need the extra leadership training and I will be leaving in two years so I want to make sure that I leave a mark on the space before I go. Also since I am leaving in two years if I do not do a good job then someone else can take over then.

P.s. Sorry for the long message I just figured out that I needed to use the google groups for these messages. I didn’t know this because I just started using it and no one explained it to me.

-Josh McDonald

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/4dc4757d-2b9f-4070-b752-185bfd8adc81%40dallasmakerspace.org.

Date: Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 8:43 PM
Cc: “[email protected][email protected]

It would be really cool to have the ability to do those shows in the Av room. But, we would need a good sound recording set-up for those who can’t teach the lessons in the room.

-Josh

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 4, 2014, at 7:04 PM, “Ken Schmitt” [email protected] wrote:

And if we are going training room, do what the cooking shows do, or what you see at trade shows; a large light weight mirror suspended over where a table is or would be.
This allows for long video shots into the mirror, and as a class, can see down on the desk.

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Dan Ribaudo
Sent: Friday, July 04, 2014 4:43 PM

Good idea Ken, Chroma Blue would be better backdrop than black for the general low-fuss shoot.
Then the curtain rods we have, to hang the blacks that will soon be found.

Your overhead cam table is perfect for the show&tell closeups, awesome
Agreed that quartz/contractor lights are enough for now, shine them against the white walls and you have nice diffuse sources

It’s a Wiki now:

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/AV_Studio

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 3:46 PM, Ken Schmitt [email protected] wrote:

<image001.jpg>
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/5AD6BEFD-E7C7-4273-B86F-BEE91EC317A1%40earthlink.net.

Date: Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Holy Moly! There are so many more people getting involved than I thought! Rock on!

Our current plan is to paint the far wall in that room blue chroma, so people can come in and get set up as quickly as possible (plus, we won’t have another piece of equipment to store.) Using the old IKEA curtain rails is a genius idea too; gives us a lot more flexibility.

I don’t have a lot of stuff myself, but I do have a Blue Snowball USB mic that I can put on permaloan for the space. We used it to do our voiceover on this, and it works pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_93LYWF2U1Q (Recorded in the large classroom at the old space. No sound dampening.)

Arts has a computer with AfterEffects on it for editing; we can outfit our other computer too if we need to.

We also build our budget by teaching classes, so the more things we teach, the more cash we’ll have for better equipment. Personally, I’d love to take a Lighting 101 class or a basic editing class.

-H
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CALS43mirnAf1EGW%2BQv-rigB9%3D0w-rF4dWs6hAp9_BkpEaPjAig%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 11:15 AM

In my opinion setting up a room for recording videos is both a waste of time and space. I’m all for getting the equipment to do high quality recordings but not in the proposed way. To give an idea of where I’m coming from this was shot with less than $2,000 worth of equipment and on location (i.e. no sound proofing, no studio lighting, etc.).

http://eyeopenertv.com/2014/07/03/add-some-fireworks-to-your-4th-of-july-bbq-with-these-fajita-poppers/#axzz36hlyViy2

I personally find it much more interesting than someone blabbing in front of a green/blue screen. If we’re going to be producing content in the name of the Dallas Makerspace we should be doing it in context where there’s more flexibility and the room can be used for something better.

Luke

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 8:43 PM, Josh McDonald [email protected] wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CAKy8TOKfY1mtjtkzZOKjDzxt_Lkjts4fCbh%2BdUq9fO4OJkq%3DWQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Fluorescent lights are prone to flicker, which cause video problems depending on the shutter speed and type of fluorescent. They’re especially problematic with DSLR video cameras and with high-speed (slow-motion) video, which can be useful for educational demonstrations. This is not necessarily a showstopper but something to think about (and test).
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/7F1A5C51-CE23-43A0-8421-83330751D440%40gmail.com.

Date: Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 11:26 AM

‘welcome to the Makerspace’ Video Volume #3.

I’m sure I don’t know what you mean.

How ever,
There is, at least at the moment, enough interest to at least make one of the rooms ‘studio’ish, if not committed.

Something 20 years of video post production as convinced me of: You shoot it right the first time.

Anyhow, technology is adequate now that we should be able to diminish the problems if we can’t eliminate them. The ones we have now are sound: keep it from sounding like its shot in a closet, and enough cameras and mikes to keep from having to work magic to fix it on the back end.

I do agree with the observation of putting energy and resources into this if it isn’t going to be used.

This is why there needs to be enough basic structure involved so most anyone can turn on the recorders and get more or less a training video or class from it.

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Luke Olson
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2014 11:15 AM

In my opinion setting up a room for recording videos is both a waste of time and space. I’m all for getting the equipment to do high quality recordings but not in the proposed way. To give an idea of where I’m coming from this was shot with less than $2,000 worth of equipment and on location (i.e. no sound proofing, no studio lighting, etc.).

http://eyeopenertv.com/2014/07/03/add-some-fireworks-to-your-4th-of-july-bbq-with-these-fajita-poppers/#axzz36hlyViy2

I personally find it much more interesting than someone blabbing in front of a green/blue screen. If we’re going to be producing content in the name of the Dallas Makerspace we should be doing it in context where there’s more flexibility and the room can be used for something better.

Luke

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 8:43 PM, Josh McDonald [email protected] wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CAKy8TOKfY1mtjtkzZOKjDzxt_Lkjts4fCbh%2BdUq9fO4OJkq%3DWQ%40mail.gmail.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/017431A1EB5E4C60AF63D0C7542FC668%40xps1PC.

Date: Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 11:52 AM

There’s plenty to comment on here, but whether in a dedicated room or on location, lighting will be needed. I understand why fluorescent lighting may not sound like a great idea, but a huge segment of the studio lighting industry is made up of fluorescent and compact fluorescent lighting. Google Kino flow lighting as an example. It is important that they all share the same color temps (3200K, 5600K or a mix). Having said that, the most economical approach, IMO, is to acquire a pair of C-stands, a pair of shot bags for the C-stands and a pair of Kino-type flourescent lights or LED lights. Three of each would be ideal, but two will get it done. From a quick eBay search it looks like the average price for a trio of ‘straight from China’ LED studio lights is running around $1000. Not bad, and just a little more gets you the standard stands. C-stands not absolutely necessary, straight stands can work.

David Jeter
(469)286-6418

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CAFiSHvDVcRsukDHsckD_cjnmQ8kBVujTAqEZff%3Duc69YgpGxtw%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Any particular reason to go with a bluescreen wall over a greenscren wall?

Green has the best luminance variation among visible light since it’s right in the middle of the spectrum and not as affected by the roll-off of the visible light filters. Thus, it’s usually the least “noisy” channel. Also, consider the Bayer filter is pretty much universal on most consumer equipment. However, it does tend to spill over more and can affect the edges of the desired subject in nasty ways; you might be able to mitigate this by standing farther from the green wall. (But red is nastier still, especially on old-time broadcast equipment.)

Blue is a popular choice because it’s the complementary color of skin tone. For instance, here are the complementary colors I found for various RGB colors from pictures of real people of various ethnicity:

Skin tone -> Blue tone
FEC6A5 -> A5DDFE
E8B48F-> 8FC3E8
C38B66 -> 669EC3

Note they’re usually not a “pure blue.” Nevertheless, modern filters in software ought to be able to account for chrominance & luminance at the same time, plus offer an adjustable Q (notch width), so whatever color we pick should work fine (as long as it’s not some shade of grey).

part 2 of 2 i think…

Date: Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 12:10 PM
To: Dallas Makerspace [email protected]

Blue is a little easier on the eyes IMO and still functional for chromakeying.

I imagine the recording room as the place set up to do audio / video recording, but it should also remain serviceable for other activities.

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 12:02 PM, Stephen Wylie [email protected] wrote:
Any particular reason to go with a bluescreen wall over a greenscren wall?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CAKwKWX_R0fsR2CsF2ba2tjVADvi3qbLMPYB4CAAwcWYLCAyBYw%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 12:11 PM

As far as tables go, something that could be stored away or moved into room 1 during shooting is best, if we want to truly support both uses.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CALS43mifu-kDpQLtVbc0br2-oZ%3DfeJte-xM1zuL1shiJk59j3w%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 12:57 PM

On Jul 6, 2014, at 12:10 PM, Benjamin Groves [email protected] wrote:

Blue is a little easier on the eyes IMO and still functional for chromakeying.

Blue is also a popular color for clothing. That’s why green screens are so common.

If the studio is used often enough, you will want to have both options, because you will eventually encounter a scenario where one or the other won’t work. That’s easy to do with hanging backdrops, and if you’re going to line the walls which soundproofing material such as moving blankets, you aren’t going to be able to paint the wall anyway. So, I don’t think there’s any reason to fear green.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/212B02F0-A246-40BA-96D3-84051848431D%40gmail.com.

Date: Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 1:01 PM

the rolls of chroma green from the photo supply houses are cheap enough that you can just throw a roll on a pipe and a few stands, or make a bracket for the wall, and roll out what you need very easily. The roll, if taken care of, will last forever, since you can re use a wall-height piece several times before creases and wrinkles take over. Easy stuff, and non interfering with other activities in the room.
EXAMPLE:

David Jeter
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CAFiSHvCC7T3xWfoUrBKhyszAaE_Xgtc1mLy4pTa1oyaSrHUW5g%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 1:05 PM

I’m coming in late to the conversation, but I would like to add support to the idea of having a “studio” where any sort of video could be shot without a large degree of setup and configuration. DMS should have a strong library of videos out there (youtube and such) on everything from promo material (tours and such) to How To vids. Moreover, the better produced they are the better. It seems to me that if we want to be seen as “educational” that making how to videos is a much better emphasis than in-person classes. Esp, if we don’t want to pay teachers a whole lot. Pay them once to make a video (or even tape a live class) and then let the video persist, building up a library of educational material.

In short, persisting educational content gets us a bigger bang for our buck and effort so make it easy to produce quality video.

-Steve Reeves

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Edward Wright [email protected] wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CANtwNuZgXKqrHGRdrfLvJz1NusojXE1gg4BCRc3_Au4d5akw8A%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 1:18 PM

We have a set of M-audio BX5 studio monitors that are unused ATM.

They need a new line cable and a capacitor replacement on one of the boards in the left monitor I think. Minimal work that someone can do in a day, but we just don’t have a need for them.

These are studio monitors that are self powered and somewhat professional grade.

I will say that we can make our own sound dampening panels from a bit of fiberboard and some felt/foam from Joann fabrics. You just need spray adhesive and a staple gun. We made these in high school and college for various recording needs. Very effective and less than $10 a panel. They are also great as pin-boards for ideas when needed and can be taken down or rearranged when needed.

I have to make some for our music room at some point anyway, but won’t have time to do much soon.

Stacy Wylie
stacydevino.com
Android and Mobile Design guru

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CAA7DfvRkiz8Oj2yS-cNL8Cig7RcLhvhrfu-P3XKUAHLA8aKS9w%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 3:55 PM

BTW, the budget and classes for the recording studio are being handled by the Creative Arts Committee for the moment. If you want to join and be added to the committee’s Google Group, here’s the link.

https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/forum/#!forum/arts
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CALS43mhdFLv3M9OSipbm69E9vaFyDydfR-s5_dM3mTmgoEzZ3w%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Can you guys come up with use cases (Project’s that you can’t complete because we don’t have X) and what is required(X to allow you to succeed)?

As a known critic to the AV room I would love to see it succeed but what I am not seeing is what the room would be used for?

Right now it seems to be going in a bunch of directions and no clear use case.

A little history is this was tried this before and people just threw a bunch of “Stuff” in a room and there was so much “Stuff” in the room it made it an unusable room.

People can call me pessimistic but there are quite a few challenges.

Photo Problems,

First the size of the room it’s long and narrow this does not lend well to studio photography if you need indirect lighting.

The Fluorescent lighting used through out DMS is Mixed frequency so your white balance will be tricky to say the least.

Video Problems,

A chromakey is a very specific type of video and IMO only helps members doing specific type of work and it does not help solve the problem of recording classes, training, projects.

Sound this is a killer without making that room unusable or shutting the rest of DMS down it will be extremely unlikely to make that room studio quiet.

Strictly IMO I believe a bigger emphasis should be placed on recording classes and sharing information to the world.

as that is what we are meant to be doing in our mission.

But I am not leaving you without no hope I have a solution

We have a great relationship with Livid Lobster Studio’s
http://geekbeat.tv/cool-new-stuff-geek-house/

They have invited us to there facility to do recording before.

and they have the infrastructure as soon as it’s finished in build out. They are moving at the same time we did.

Robert Davidson

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 1:18 PM, Stacy Devino [email protected] wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CAM2tROSB91Y3D_rkA32kKY%2BRbN%2BxB3Kc4j_1ai5fh-Rv_AP_dw%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Robert:

I’m excited at the prospect of using a professional setup in a real studio! That said, I don’t think they’d let us in there to experiment/learn, or to film on short notice.

So, Dave Smart and I produced a video right before the move at the old space. We’re both interested in producing more stuff at DMS. I believe Dave wants to do more videos similar to the pitch one we did together, and I want to write and produce some shorts.

Here’s what we learned when working on that video:

1. You can put something together and work through problems VERY quickly inside the space. We pulled our cast from people who happened to be in the building when we were working, and shot a bunch of tutorial-like things in various rooms. Lighting was the same fluorescent stuff we have at the old space, and Dave still shot some beautiful video.

2. To get a decent-looking wall for me to just stand and talk in front of, we had to go to another building. We used the office building we were doing an on-location shoot in, but if we hadn’t been able to use that, we would’ve gone to my house because there weren’t any appropriate backdrops at the DMS.

3. You need a room to plan in. A conference room is about the right size.

It would be better for us to have a halfway-decent room with a chroma screen that’s easy to get to and set up in, even if it’s less than perfect.

As to issues we had in the past - if I’m not mistaken, half our total membership joined since the last time we tried to start an AV group. That includes people I’ve already collaborated with, who want to do more projects. Considering we aren’t going to convert the room over completely to studio use, I don’t see why we should be particularly cautious.

-H
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CALS43mgVQ5Bgoq1FB%2BRSiSq7_uGCLjntE79z4%2B2QhZVB4ey1fQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 12:33 AM

My concern about blue chroma-key is that I have clothing & props about that colour which I might well want to have in a video.
That could get messy.

The Stars Are Ours!

--publius--

On 07/04/2014 03:46 PM, Ken Schmitt wrote:
I have an ancient canon RE-650 overhead projector thing, that the video
is defective on (it still autofocusus, so something in it still works)
… it still would make a fine camera mount on the side of the head, and
otherwise it’s a very brightly lit table.

Lighting: the $20 halogen construction lights work fine, no barn doors
obviously.

If you have to paint the walls chroma key color, go with blue, its
neutral enough to use as a standard backdrop and not an eye sore that
green is. Most commercial software has blue settings before the green
ones, and are generally friendlier to the casual editor. Green would
take more skill.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/53BA3126.6060400%40lunarcc.org.

Date: Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 12:55 AM

The one practical use I can offer is to “ask if I can borrow the lighting” for my life drawing classes on Sunday (if not bolted on the wall or ceiling). If the room in question is big enough I’d be fine with having the models pose in an area prepared for lighting and such. But that’s all depends a lot on if I had enough room to arrange the artist around the model.

-ray

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CAC%2BTWy-X21rE6h0HxSMsEqdSPyeEjezgQJDpJ1C801porD2-Fw%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 2:00 AM

Since this conversation has been a lovely brainstorm, I want to bring it down to earth real quick. Here’s what Arts is currently planning.

Right now, we are only asking Ops to paint the chroma wall and make sure we can clear the room if we need to.

Over the next few months, Arts is going to be teaching film and animation related classes, to earn honoraria toward purchasing more equipment. (Our first and most important purchase will be studio lights.) We’ll also take donations. Everything will be portable equipment that can be stored either in the Arts room, or on the committee shelf in the warehouse. The large meeting room with the chroma wall will be an open resource for many uses, NOT a dedicated space.

If we get to the point where that room is seeing most of its use as a studio, we will see about splintering off an AV committee to set up and maintain the room. In the meantime, you should be able to come in, set up, record, and edit at the Makerspace without any major issues.

Because of the failures we’ve had in the past, I’m taking a pretty cautious tack but I’m hoping we end up with a full fledged studio. We’ll stay flexible and see how much actual use stuff gets as we figure out the shape that this AV group is going to take. So far, it’s looking pretty good.

-Haley
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CALS43mjdG52mc3OWHSrmuLTn7wt8iwqBOEDSWL%2BxQPAUeoCvqA%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 2:14 AM

I know the LED lamps seemed to work well during the production of “Lunarcy!”.
Battery-powered, even. I think Alan Bean mentioned that the lighting in his studio is Kino Flow fluorescents.

The Stars Are Ours!

--publius--

On 07/06/2014 11:52 AM, David Jeter wrote:
There’s plenty to comment on here, but whether in a dedicated room or on
location, lighting will be needed. I understand why fluorescent lighting
may not sound like a great idea, but a huge segment of the studio
lighting industry is made up of fluorescent and compact fluorescent
lighting. Google Kino flow lighting as an example. It is important that
they all share the same color temps (3200K, 5600K or a mix). Having said
that, the most economical approach, IMO, is to acquire a pair of
C-stands, a pair of shot bags for the C-stands and a pair of Kino-type
flourescent lights or LED lights. Three of each would be ideal, but two
will get it done. From a quick eBay search it looks like the average
price for a trio of ‘straight from China’ LED studio lights is running
around $1000. Not bad, and just a little more gets you the standard
stands. C-stands not absolutely necessary, straight stands can work.

David Jeter
(469)286-6418

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/53BA48E4.9010108%40lunarcc.org.

Date: Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 4:57 AM

On 7/6/14, Robert Davidson [email protected] wrote:

Robert,
What do we need to do to use their studio? I realize it is probably
not quite ready. Was that an open offer or just a one time thing? I
also realize we would need to schedule around their use. But, since
you brought it up, I’d like to know how real this offer was.
I am for us starting slow, which I think is what Haley is trying.
My biggest concern is the flourescent lights. I was going to propose
we go all LED, and maybe this is the room to start with. Cree has
some new bulbs that may have a reasonable ROI. I am not sure yet.
Ralph

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CAPCUFTPcHy_zSmfcSZ_27Gx4hV0kH%3DX4OQztzEZ8sYszf8veLg%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 7:22 AM

I am meeting with John P this week and will follow up it was an open offer 2 years ago. We have both grown a lot since then.

Just note everything in the below emails are personal opinions.

I have been to quite a few studios and I have never seen a painted wall in a conference room. It seems to be very short sighted and does not lack the vision of a completed tool something someone can use

Strictly IMO I don’t believe that room is a good fit it’s to small to do any real work.

IMO We would be much better served with something like this

https://www.photoflex.com/products/backdrop-10-x-20-chroma-green

This offers flexibility of blue green for video and neutral for portrait work.

Like some people on this page keep saying and keeps getting glossed over is lighting and sound the 2 most important things in any production work.

And that room serves none of those strictly IMO I would prefer to see the standalone stand and a couple light boxes purchased to see if anyone would actually use it.

This setup can be setup anywhere in much larger rooms that has the space required for lighting and other production gear and also give the flexibility of other angles than a straight angle.

For your viewing pleasure I am even dropping some photos of a studio in another Makerspace I went to yesterday to give you an example of what this would look like.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 7, 2014, at 5:57 AM, Ralph Green [email protected] wrote:

On 7/6/14, Robert Davidson [email protected] wrote:

Robert,
What do we need to do to use their studio? I realize it is probably
not quite ready. Was that an open offer or just a one time thing? I
also realize we would need to schedule around their use. But, since
you brought it up, I’d like to know how real this offer was.
I am for us starting slow, which I think is what Haley is trying.
My biggest concern is the flourescent lights. I was going to propose
we go all LED, and maybe this is the room to start with. Cree has
some new bulbs that may have a reasonable ROI. I am not sure yet.
Ralph

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CAPCUFTPcHy_zSmfcSZ_27Gx4hV0kH%3DX4OQztzEZ8sYszf8veLg%40mail.gmail.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/090171FA-A19C-4E5D-8971-15B8905DA2AF%40gmail.com.

Date: Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 11:31 AM

LEDs also have flicker problems, under certain conditions. Here’s a semi-technical discussion of fluorescent and LED lights by a professional gaffer:

http://www.davidsatz.com/aboutflicker_en.html

Sent from my iPad
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/7A53BCA8-7835-4854-89A0-AE8C063FEC2A%40gmail.com.

Date: Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 12:10 PM

I wonder if this discussion might be more productively moved to an in-person meeting?

A number of people are saying the room is too small. Others believe it’s adequate. Some, perhaps, have not even seen the room or don’t remember exactly what it looks like. (I’m sure I’ve been in the room, and also sure I don’t remember which room it is.)

I suspect many of these disagreements could be worked out quickly if we were all able to look at the room together. If people like, I could even volunteer to bring some portable lighting and camera equipment so we can experiment with placement and such. That will quickly tell us if the room’s too small for what we want to do.

Sent from my iPad

<image.jpeg>
<image.jpeg>

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 7, 2014, at 5:57 AM, Ralph Green [email protected] wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/090171FA-A19C-4E5D-8971-15B8905DA2AF%40gmail.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/55D66DA1-2CEE-4308-918D-5D560260AAC1%40gmail.com.

Date: Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 12:31 PM

I like the idea of the moveable and changeable backdrop.

Would that change the painting of one wall Chroma blue? Paint has got to be cheaper than the changeable wall back drop.

Concepually, could the AV setup be on rolling carts for a big project that needs more space?

Otherwise, for small projects, they would happen in that room.

Just a couple thoughts.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CAD5XfOTORAJ3VAR6jibZN2n7XdDsqLFv1YQbnG0EfojpY%2B-TwA%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Yeah, the painted wall is an idea I lifted from http://loadingreadyrun.com. They produce a ridiculous number of web shows out of a tiny house, so they have a green screen wall, and use the room for a lot of different things (including filming in other parts of the room). That’s exactly what we want, I think, to start us off.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CALS43mhZqmhmyzJpwes73aUBUCHnH-6jdW2pFR4-mV7cUxR8Nw%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 10:03 PM
To: “Dallas_Makerspace (Members Only List)” [email protected]

Just gonna spam with links… I’ll let y’all read the info (and reviews) and decide what’s good, bad, somewhere in between…

Pro Tip: Inexpensive Chromakey & Lighting in Tight Spaces

The Difference Between Green Screen & Blue Screen [ReelRebel #13] w/Stephen Schweickart

GreenMan Blogs! | Paint vs. Muslin

Steve’s DIGCAMS - The consumer’s best source of digital camera information and news | Muslin Backdrop vs. Chroma Key Paint
http://www.steves-digicams.com/knowledge-center/how-tos/photo-accessories/muslin-backdrop-vs-chroma-key-paint.html#b

WIKIPEDIA | Chroma Key

TubeTape Video & Photo Equipment | Kits
http://www.tubetape.net/servlet/the-Green-Screen-Equipment-cln-Kits/Categories

Photography 10 x 20 ft. Blue Chromakey Photo Studio Muslin Backdrop Background, LimoStudio
http://smile.amazon.com/Photography-Chromakey-Backdrop-Background-LimoStudio/dp/B005GLNQUO

Amazon Search - blue+chromakey+kit
http://smile.amazon.com/s/keywords=blue+chromakey+kit

Limostudio Photography Photo Light Studio Lighting Kit Set with Green Chromakey Double Muslin Backdrop Background, AGG718
http://smile.amazon.com/Limostudio-Photography-Lighting-Chromakey-Background/dp/B005DFARHS

LimoStudio Photo Studio 10’x10’ Double Muslin Black Green Chromakey Backdrop Background Support Kit 700W 33" Black Silver Reflective Umbrella Light Kit, LMS722
http://smile.amazon.com/LimoStudio-Chromakey-Backdrop-Background-Reflective/dp/B009H9K4EM

Chromakey Green Screen Kit 800w Photo Video Lighting Kit 10x12 feet Green Screen and Backdrop Support System Included Ul15 10x12 Green By Fancier U15 10x12 Green
http://smile.amazon.com/Chromakey-Lighting-Backdrop-Included-U15/dp/B003UOOTCS

Fancierstudio 2400 watt lighting kit softbox light kit video lighting kit with Background stand 6’x9’ Black, White and Chromakey green backdrop by Fancierstudio UL9004S3 6x9BWG
http://smile.amazon.com/Fancierstudio-lighting-Background-Chromakey-backdrop/dp/B003TYFT4G

LimoStudio Photography Studio Video Lighting Chromakey Green Black White Screen 3 Muslin Backdrops Lighting Kit Background Support Kit, AGG890
http://smile.amazon.com/LimoStudio-Photography-Chromakey-Backdrops-Background/dp/B008GWH7DC

ePhotoInc 10 x 12 ft. Chromakey BLUE Screen, Background Support Stand Kit and Photography Video Boom Hairlight Stand Lighting Kit H9004SB-1012BU
http://smile.amazon.com/ePhotoInc-Chromakey-Background-Photography-H9004SB-1012BU/dp/B00BZA269C

:slight_smile:

Date: Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 11:55 PM

I think meeting up to discuss and plan is a good idea. I’m free early next week. Maybe Monday night?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CAHnoYkSfwfECi3cbX860v03x5TmkRw1m7JcTaUBUJypNjj0uzw%40mail.gmail.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CALS43mi4_VX8pzspgnnu7WCeoUc8DL4UZubqqeQaJpbmo%3DA8_g%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 6:30 AM

+1 for Monday
And Lisa will be testing on her reading assignments

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CAPCUFTP7C5p7Bt74%2BYHaRt39jgSJFqCFbwWoABNzh1o-XUUcEQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 8:07 AM
To: “Dallas_Makerspace, (Members Only List)” [email protected]

lol :stuck_out_tongue:
Well if anyone is still there by time I get off work, then sure I can test… hehe :wink:
Y’all better start reviewing the 411 now! :stuck_out_tongue:

Date: Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 8:47 AM

I am down for Monday Night Recording Powwow
As long as my wife isn’t having a baby yet, which is imminent… :smiley:

d

https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CAHnoYkQM3GhQZA1nu21zBGzAcjyFFjs3k%2BHQ2JjwNhCdb3ZHNQ%40mail.gmail.com.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
email to [email protected].

Dan Ribaudo
91seven84three8467
[email protected]

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CAKF7q0ukodeErWrA%3DHva2kejPsCoQ8-eSV17_1waf80gziA7%2Bg%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Putting it on the calendar for Monday @ 7 pm
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CALS43mjG7a0nDxgVb4qfCmJcSh9xk9MMJgigzgV6dMW7g5VNjw%40mail.gmail.com.

Date: Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 3:49 PM

All these 7pm meetings, I may have to shift my schedule. We sgould starr a YouTube channel once we get enough content lined up.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msgid/dms/CADrhVpMFxRvBTi%2BhMNbCE5e%3DL6n%3D_yuKXFeLD46q_KvPDGCQ5g%40mail.gmail.com.

@evilkoolade… form or function? what about oh hey ~ it exists!
… because it almost didn’t
:wink:

Don’t Worry…
… Be Happy!

1 Like

FWIW, the color of walls has historically been the most contentious thing we discuss (nastiest meeting ever was about paint colors). This is true even when the field is narrowed to only two colors or when the conversation is devoid of actual functionality requirements. :smiley:

4 Likes

W0W!
Thank you.
and other stuff

1 Like

FWIW, I have a giant roll of what I believe to be chroma green backdrop
paper that I have no use for that’s 9 feet wide. It could be put up
temporarily to be used as needed and stored away when it’s in danger of
screwing with people’s chi. If I’m wrong and what I have is just an ugly
green backdrop then I’'l throw out there that chroma green paper can be had
for pretty cheap from a local photo supply shop.

4 Likes

Here is the link to that discussion

https://groups.google.com/a/dallasmakerspace.org/d/msg/dms-archive/8aZ2h3JdHEo/4Oo2IFLwVjwJ

Looks like it was switched to private when archiving it (when switching to use this talk forum), so you will have to be a member of that group to browse past email list discussions

1 Like

I was thinking green paper could be a good compromise even if we had to pay to use like the 3d printer fillament

1 Like