Why is DMS such a mess?

I propose some possible conclusions from my above observations of the state of things around DMS

1. I’m entirely imagining that anything has changed, my observations are so biased that the above pictures are meaningless selective samples
  2. This is fine and doesn’t matter, you should ignore this post
  3. DMS has a systemic problem that is growing worse, steps need to be taken by those in charge to address the problem
1 Like

Ask the DMS president what her response was when doocracy was mentioned by the new logistics chair at the last logistics meeting. She interjected quickly that consensus must be reached and to avoid single actors affecting change.

2 Likes

Ok, so can you provide more context here? Also what outcome are you trying to see here?

To reach consensus that their is an issue and for the board to hold committee chairs accountable for the state of their area.

3 Likes

With this in mind, as you want board action(based on your above post), would the next logical step be to create an item for discussion at the next BOD meeting and make a proposal there?

1 Like

You may have been just using rhetoric here or sarcasm, but you know as I know that it won’t. The last thing you do for a hoarder is to give them a bigger space to exercise their “craft”.

There are severe fundamental business problems that cannot get fixed by consensus. It takes leadership and busting ba@@‘s to raise the level of a culture. These should have been addressed and fixed waaaay before any expansion. Business wise, the tipping point has passed.

Unfortunately, new space in itself, will not solve anything. It’s a structural problem around leadership. Not sure a structure like DMS can solve those problems.

Respectfully, as a non contributor, I don’t see what dog you might have in this fight. I wont rise to the level of assuming you are just here to add to the flames…

Less respectfully
Further, I reiterate my point. Feel free to join the membership, contribute to some ass busting and become a leader. Until then, go back to the hole you came from. Taking pot shots at the leaders of this organization is not something that is helpful or wanted. There is more than enough of that going on as is…

1 Like

Thanks you for your comment sir…I hope you Have a great day too!

With your warm reception, I need to sign up Now! You sir are an asset to DMS. Everybody, raise a toast to the good man here. Someone to emulate. Thank You Sir!

1 Like

I took your suggestion and posted this on the next board agenda. It’s plausible that this suggestion would help but I do no expect it to pass due to monetary constraints with upcoming expansion spending and more generally the board not taking this problem seriously. Perhaps if enough general members saw and stated that they think there is a growing problem it might motivate the leadership to be leaders.

Problem: DMS is growing more and more disorganized and messy, reaching unsafe levels. See recent talk post “Why is DMS such a mess?” The volunteer approach of committees reaching consensus has failed to address the needs of an organization this size, especially in common areas like general work tables and general maintenance. With upcoming expansion I fear the problems will only get worse. Does anyone think it is good enough to have pallets of garbage taking up project storage space for a year or to have missing ceiling tiles for 2+ months or to have tripping hazards in all the walk ways? As an organization is that the best we can do?

Solution:Hire person to work 40 hours a week who is empowered to ensure organization and safety across all areas of DMS.

Relevance: Keeping all areas safe and useable is a fundamental requirement of being able to fulfill DMSs organizational goals.

5 Likes

I appreciate you doing so! I’ll do my best to be there to speak in support of safety and organization issues!

Thanks!

If you could, please also create a topic of discussion here:

https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/c/dms-members-only/BoD-Agenda-Items

5 Likes

There ya go. Out of the passive aggressive rhetoric comes a point.

I agree with you that there are some committee chairs who could benefit from some direction. I agree that with our current organization, that pretty much has to come from the board or a strong committee. I agree that we can do better.

That’s a far cry from the “death of the do-ocracy.” Those that hate that term have a point- it implies (or maybe just states) that whomever will do a thing gets to decide whether it’s the correct course of action. It works great in small organizations, terribly in large ones, and we’ve had our share of misguided, but motivated, individuals causing problems.

More importantly, the fictional do-ocracy is not how the organization is designed (a good thing) but it does underly much of what it does. Committee chairs necessarily are elected because they (or at least say that they) are willing to work on behalf of the committee. The best ones motivate others to help them accomplish cool things that serve the needs of the membership, the worst ones try to do it all themselves because they don’t know how to ask for help, and the very worst of them view their election as a mandate to run off and do whatever they want without regard for( and sometimes in spite of) the members they serve.

Could all three of them benefit from board action committed to their success? Absolutely. Currently, I feel that they get it, but that there are improvements that can be made- that will always be the case. However, that is a far different argument than implying or stating that anyone is somehow purposefully trying to undermine the effectiveness of the organization- love the board or hate them, to imply they aren’t doing their best to do what’s right is absurd.

3 Likes

No, it is the death of your version of do-ocracy… your version did not take into account anyone else but you. You thought nothing of throwing away or destroying someone else’s hard work if it didn’t fit your ideal. You, on multiple occasions, would go into other committees areas and “clean up”, without permission, and sometimes even after being told expressly NO.

I’ve often said that 75% of what you did here was fantastic, but the other 25% caused a bunch of turmoil. I’ll take some messiness over that kind of angst.

8 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Cool story. I suppose you’re cleaning up right now? Your smart ass reply doesn’t change reality. The space is a collosal mess. Most people in a position of authority have placed a low priority on organization, maintenance, and cleanliness. It’s a problem and it’ll only get worse as we expand.

1 Like

Hahaha, actually, I think my smart ass replies help as much or more than a lot of what goes on here. But at least I back them up with committee-oriented productivity.

I read a lot of the nonsense you write on here and I don’t see much come of it but useless grousing, but please, continue…

2 Likes

I offered to help the new logistics chair get things repaired by organizing contractors and vendors. My offer was declined. Thus we have no urinal, for a year now, and random shit is still broken all over the place. You’re implying I don’t try to help. I do. But I’m not an idiot. I’m not going to waste my time cleaning up after people who don’t give a shit and just leave more messes. The leadership needs to make it a priority.

Why does this conversation remind me of arguments I’ve had with significant others?
Like the subject at hand is a stand-in for every other issue we’ve had throughout the relationship.

9 Likes

Those kind words mean the world to us. Team Laser is an entire crew of people - like all of us, volunteers, not employees, i.e. we are not entitled to their time (though with non-profit membership is implied responsibility) - each taking one piece of the puzzle and coming together once a month for a big blowout cleanup. Thank you for tagging them so they can see the appreciation. We enjoyed having you participate last Sunday and help make our community stronger.

Luke, I would like to offer a perspective.
It’s counter-intuitive, but please bear with me.

• As Chair, I put a lower priority on organization, maintenance, and cleanliness.
  • My #1 priority - almost to the exclusion of all else - is on community building, of which committee building is a part.
  • It is the Committee - a body of up to 17 people on Maintenance Day, 4 instructors, and two Chairs Emeritus - who make organization, maintenance, and cleanliness a priority.
  • Chairs come and go. Chairs come with a variety of strengths and weaknesses. Yet with a strong Committee, made up of many people who cancel out each other’s weaknesses, a consistent minimum level of service can be maintained.
  • Command is not about machines. It’s about people. The people take care of the machines.

Where Laser is weak is in communicating its values re: cleanliness to our broader community, our members. We definitely get schmutzy and cluttery over 30 days. Ever onward and upward.

Thank you for letting me share my thoughts.
And Laser thanks you for your service as Chair. We stand on the shoulders of those who came before.

17 Likes

Because grudges are something to be held onto and borne for perpetuity, it would seem.

1 Like