Why does Discourse suck so much?

So, I’ve noticed some severe lag when I’m typing in a new topic. Almost like Discourse’s client-side java$hit is doing something on every keystroke. I type kinda fast, so it is very noticeable.

When idle on the DMS forum page and with the “Create a new topic” box open, but no typing:

PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE C TIME WCPU COMMAND
7056 zmetzing 23 21 0 2603M 346M select 3 2:23 1.35% firefox

However, if I start typing in the content:

PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE SIZE RES STATE C TIME WCPU COMMAND
7056 zmetzing 23 52 0 2634M 393M select 1 3:32 73.53% firefox

This is super $hitty. No, I don’t have “show preview” on.

1 Like

Because it’s software that didn’t have to be paid for? Sometimes that “You get what you pay for” rings true…

(edit: - @lukeiamyourfather - sarcasm/smartassness was being attempted. I’ll be the first to admit I don’t know diddly-squat about rationales behind speed. If I were wondering why TALK ran slow, my personal assumption would be the fault lying with my wifi connection.)

2 Likes

That’s an unhelpful and uninformed opinion. Open source software runs most of the world around you and for good reason. It enables everyone to stand on the shoulders of giants. I would put open source on par with other inventions like the internet, wireless communications, and transistors in terms of importance.

For the original poster, you might look at the issues for the software. It’s possible this is a known bug that’s being addressed soon or had already been fixed in a newer version. There’s a huge userbase so it’s unlikely you’re the only one experiencing this issue.

1 Like

Interesting this came up. I just finished upgrading our Pyro groups instance of TALK. DMS’s instance is only two sub rev versions back so it should be running fine.

The scale difference in site traffic is about 100:1

It is an amazing piece of free software.

Whatever it is seems to be client side, as I’ve never seen this happen and it’s not a commonly reported problem. Any more info other than a PS line (which isn’t really helpful)

I even just did a test post and, besides the character limits being annoying when creating a test post, nothing happened even with the preview on.

So – it IS just you.

What processor model and operating system are you using? What version of Firefox?

Well it seems to be client side whatever it is, as it’s not an issue reported otherwise either from our users nor mainline

1 Like

If you said it’s a Pentium III from 20 years ago then I’d say, yeah, that sounds about right. If you said it’s a 64 core EPYC then I’d be shocked if it was using 73% of the CPU. It’s relevant info. The operating system matters because it could be a bug unique to a specific platform or the libraries on that platform.

PC- Load letter…

AWS is open source? TIL. :rofl:

A lot of it is.

https://aws.github.io/

I’m sure there are lots of things at AWS that aren’t open source but they open source some of what they do and a lot of their products are built on open source software. For example Amazon Linux is a rebranded fork of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

1 Like