Why do you insist on doing this?

You guys are making me have to teach a class on using the calendar system. Expect them to start showing up toward the end of next month.

If you set a cancellation deadline, you are also setting a registration deadline for the same date and time. Extending the registration period does not change this. And unless you are charging for the class or if you are buying materials for the class, there is no good reason to set an earlier cancellation deadline. @denzuko

ExtendCancellation

6 Likes

Not that I think anyone will ever see this on the wiki, but I added your question/answer to the Class FAQs on the wiki.

The New Member 411 links to this but it’s not obvious where to link it to make it more useful.

5 Likes

Maybe just adding/modifying the text on the class submission form itself to include that info would be more effective? I imagine that’s likely a task that @Team_Infrastructure might be able to knock out comparatively easily…

It fairly well does say this, already. Though to be fair, I found it a bit confusing, too…

Cancellation Window

days
Last day leading up to the event where attendees >are allowed to cancel and receive a refund, if applicable. If you don’t want attendees to be able to cancel within three days of the event then you would enter 3 above. Attendees will be emailed a final reminder 24 hours before the cutoff time for cancelling is reached. Keep in mind, no new registrations are allowed after the cancellation cutoff time.
Extend Registration
Allow attendees to sign up for a short period of time after the event has begun by extending registration. This does not extend registrations past the event start time if a cancellation window is set.

I feel like it should though? People signing up after the cancellation deadline just can’t cancel and get a refund. That way if someone cancels right at the deadline a different person has time to see that and register?

2 Likes

This is literally the case for me right now. The HAAS class tomorrow was full as of yesterday night. I checked at about 1:30pm today and somebody had cancelled. But I can’t sign up for that open spot, because the registration deadline = the cancellation deadline = 12pm today.

While that’s also a “I need to find @nicksilva and beg him to put me in the class!” issue (or a “I should just show up that day with the fee and he’ll probably add me” issue), the fact that I can somehow find a workaround for it is secondary to the fact that it needs a workaround – aka it is broken. If I were new (and hadn’t quite figured out Talk, as many of our new folks don’t quite manage for the first few weeks), I’d just sit there frustratedly cursing the calendar.

3 Likes