Why do thowest doest these thingests?

4 Likes

That was the barely 2 day old spoil board??

3 Likes

They don’t like cleaning up the onion skin. Wood Shop’s problem, they need to address it, seems to be out of control.

4 Likes

You can cut all the way through without doing this. IMO this is a product of a large number of I-don’t-give-a-fucks being let loose on equipment they don’t directly pay to maintain and repair.

Probably worth finding these people on the camera. Wouldn’t be hard to do.

9 Likes

My recent Multicam project, I set my through-cuts at .01 deeper than my workpiece. It’s not hard, people.

ETA: and if you don’t know the exact thickness of your workpiece (I.e. MEASURED IT YOURSELF), why are you using a CNC machine?

3 Likes

my God! based on the shadow, that looks like a 1/4" deeper than the thickness of the board (assuming they bothered to measure it). doesn’t need to be more than 0.01" and use tabs. And it doesn’t even see as if they used tabs in it - so how did they secure it to cut thru? As we say in the machine shop - “This is why we can’t have nice things”.

7 Likes

We are an educational facility. Much of this is learning in action.

*Note. We do have nice things. In the machine shop and throughout the space.

7 Likes

We are indeed an educational facility, and so such things will happen.

This is almost 100% caused by people forgetting to reset the MinZ/MaxZ after they have changed bits, or by using a dirty collet without cleaning it (compressed air usually enough to clean) and having the bit slip. But easily 95% of the time, its just forgetting to set the Z values.

If you have set them correctly, you can’t make it cut that deep without overriding the values on the pendant. vCarve settings won’t do it.

Correctly set up, cutting a few hundredths over will produce a nice clean through cut without damaging the spoil board - though it does indent the board a bit, causing no real harm.

2 Likes

Agreed. But it is hard for me to understand or envision how someone standing right there actively watching their job could not notice the bit biting that deeply into the spoil board and then not stop and re-adjust the job. Is learning the issue here?

Even if that is overlooked, is it clear the person even understands that what happened is wrong? I.E. we are a learning place…did the owner of this job actually learn anything for the mistake? Has anyone mentioned anything and made him/her acknowledge that a mistake was actually made?

2 Likes

I agree, stuff happens and can excuse a small gouge here and there but that’s DEEP, tabless, and pretty frigging long which means people aren’t monitoring the machine or changing their depths when they set up the files. Again, something that would come to light when montoring your job. Somehow I think the only reason it stopped was a crashing noise if not a bound bit coming entirely out.

I don’t see it being out of line to ask gougers to retest. That’s certainly in line with our education goals

Yes, we all make mistakes. However, this is avoidable. This seems to have some similarity to having set off the brake on the saw stop. If you follow proper steps, you should avoid setting off the brake. If you follow proper steps, you should not do this to the spoil board. There is a charge related to setting off the brake and a charge related to messing the spoil board would be appropriate. Could I mess up sometime? Of course, but if I do a monetary penalty for the damage done is appropriate. My suggestion is having all approved CNC users required to agree to a charge for these kind of actions as a part of getting access.

2 Likes

Capital idea !
…

1 Like

I like that idea. If you trigger the saw stop, you are requested to throw in $100 bucks for a replacement. If you forget to set the Max Depth, own up and throw in an appropriate cash donation into the donation box. Let your heart guide you regarding the amount. That will make everyone double check that they set the Max depth. I like to think of it as a “Safety First” incentive. This is in my opinion a safety issue, not a learning opportunity.

That’s not entirely accurate. If you trigger the saw stop doing something that we’ve defined in advance not to do, we ask that you reimburse us to cover the cost of the brake assembly and resharpening the blade. If you trigger it on skin or find a new item that will trigger it, we don’t penalize or ask for reimbursement.

5 Likes

Yes, you are correct!

Not a bad idea…I don’t actually know what a spoil board costs. My only concern with implementing that is how to catch them since they don’t seem inclined to fess up. I’m also seriously wondering now if they weren’t the same person.

There is also the matter of transporting a 5 foot by 10 foot piece of material. Also believe they have skim cut both sides to remove a thin layer of coating so the vacuum works properly.

1 Like

Exactly. I’m OK with the fine thing but just am not sure the what would be fair if I did gouge it so you may have folks still causing it to be an expense

Make them bring their own spoil board and install it for each use. (Just Kidding).

3 Likes

I actually do that. Use a mini spoilboard for stuff I do. It’s a good idea.

4 Likes